OT - Better stock up...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Better stock up...

Post by Ysabel Kid »

... on light bulbs!

After seeing the post on ammunition prices going up the first of 2008, I thought this was just darn funny! Other than the fact it is yet another example of our government trying to nanny us to death! Sounds like the same for our Aussie brothers!!! :shock:

U.S.News & World Report
FAQ: The End of the Light Bulb as We Know It
Wednesday December 19, 11:01 am ET
By Marianne Lavelle

The incandescent light bulb, one of the most venerable inventions of its era but deemed too inefficient for our own, will be phased off the U.S. market beginning in 2012 under the new energy law just approved by Congress. Although this will reduce electricity costs and minimize new bulb purchases in every household in America, you may be feeling in the dark about the loss of your old, relatively reliable source of light. Here's a primer on the light bulb phase-out and what will mean to you:

Why are they taking my light bulbs away? Moving to more efficient lighting is one of the lowest-cost ways for the nation to reduce electricity use and greenhouse gases. In fact, it actually will save households money because of lower utility bills. Ninety percent of the energy that an incandescent light bulb burns is wasted as heat. And yet, sales of the most common high-efficiency bulb available--the compact fluorescent (CFL)--amount to only 5 percent of the light bulb market. Earlier this year, Australia became the first country to announce an outright ban by 2010 on incandescent bulbs. The changeover in the United States will be more gradual, not mandated to begin until 2012 and phased out through 2014. However, don't be surprised if some manufacturers phase out earlier.

How do I save money, when a CFL costs six times as much as an old-fashioned bulb? Each cone-shaped spiral CFL costs about $3, compared with 50 cents for a standard bulb. But a CFL uses about 75 percent less energy and lasts five years instead of a few months. A household that invested $90 in changing 30 fixtures to CFLs would save $440 to $1,500 over the five-year life of the bulbs, depending on your cost of electricity. Look at your utility bill and imagine a 12 percent discount to estimate the savings.

I've heard that CFLs don't really last as long as they say. Turning a CFL on and off frequently shortens its life, which is why the government's Energy Star program says to leave them on for at least 15 minutes at a time. Also, if you have dimmable light fixtures, make sure to buy CFLs labeled "dimmable." All CFLs that carry the government's Energy Star label are required to carry a two-year limited warranty, so contact the manufacturer if your bulb burns out prematurely. The Energy Star website has a good FAQ on CFLs.

I don't think that I like the color of the light from CFLs. When they first hit the market, CFLs had a limited range of tones. Now, manufacturers offer a wider variety, but there is not an agreed-upon labeling standard. The Energy Star program is working to change that. But for now, look for lower "Kelvin temperatures" like 2,700 to 3,000 for "redder" light, closer to old-fashioned incandescent bulbs, while bulbs with Kelvin temperatures of 5,000 and 6,500 provide more "blue" and intense light. A good photograph illustrating the difference is shown here.

I've heard that CFLs have mercury in them--isn't that bad? Consumers are rightly concerned about the toxic substance mercury that helps CFLs produce light. Even though the amount sealed in each bulb is small--one old-fashioned thermometer had about 100 times as much mercury--contact local trash collection for disposal instructions. Environmentalists agree that more work must be done on bulb recycling programs. Right now, you can return any CFL to any Ikea store for recycling, and the Environmental Protection Agency and Earth911 have sites you can search for other recycling programs near your home.

But if you break a CFL, you'll have a toxic spill in your home. Maine's Department of Environmental Protection has developed the best advice on the procedures to follow if a CFL breaks. Don't use a vacuum. Maine officials studied the issue because of a homeowner in that state who received a $2,000 light bulb clean-up bill from an environmental hazards company--a story that has circulated around the country and increased consumer concerns about CFLs. It turns out that the company's advice was overkill, and a subsequent analysis showed no hazard in the home. But the bulbs must be handled with caution. Using a drop cloth might be a good new routine to develop when screwing in a light bulb, to make the clean-up of any breaks easier.

By the way, don't think that incandescent bulbs are mercury free. In the United States, the chances are at least 50 percent that their light is generated by a coal-powered plant featuring mercury as well as other types of pollution. Popular Mechanics recently crunched the numbers to find that even if the mercury in a CFL was directly released into the atmosphere, an incandescent would still contribute almost double that amount of mercury into the environment over its lifetime.

Isn't there efficient lighting without mercury? Yes. By 2012, the chances are good that consumers will have many more options to replace incandescent bulbs. Manufacturers already are deploying advanced incandescent bulbs that are efficient enough to stay on the market after 2012, although they are not yet as efficient as CFLs. Even more exciting are the developments with light-emitting diodes (LEDs), which are jazzing up holiday lighting. The European electronics firm Philips this year acquired several pioneering small technology companies and plans a big push to make LEDs practical for ordinary lighting purposes. The lights on the New Year's Eve Times Square Ball could one day brighten your home. LEDs last even longer than CFLs and will make bulb buying more like an appliance purchase than a throw-away item.

Is Thomas Edison turning over in his grave? Perhaps, but the incandescent bulb has had a good run, with the technology little changed since 1879, when Edison produced light with a carbonized thread from his wife's sewing box. The breakthrough that ushered civilization out of the candle era was so revolutionary that the light bulb itself became the culture's iconic image to illustrate any thought, brainstorm, or idea. But energy-efficient bulbs are a better idea, says Andrew deLaski, director of the Appliance Standards Awareness Project. "It's hugely important," he says. "A 60 to 70 percent reduction in light bulb energy use will save as much energy annually as that used by all the homes in Texas last year." That's a big savings.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I try to use the CFLs, but at least half or more certainly do not last the advertised 5 years....... I'm thinking the LEDs are already here, too, those will be the ones to wait for....I'm not sure those burn out at all.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I can see it now, a guy in a trench coat... psssst! Hey buddy, wanna buy a light bulb? Straight from China.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

First house I lived in when we moved from San Francisco south, was a Victorian that still had gas lights along with the new fangled electric lights. Pretty cool when the power went out! So, when they really go nuts and outlaw electric lights completely, well, all it takes is a little galvanized pipe, a few valves, a fan flame nozzle, some Pyrex globes, a CO alarm, and a fire insurance policy.

I didn't much care for the icebox or bathroom built on the back porch though, or the water heater you had to light with a match and turn off before it blew up. But the stable full of old buggy wheels was fun for a five year old. Progress is a wonderful thing.
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Fluorescent lights put out 3x the UV as regular light bulbs. Unless they fix them, we'll have to put all paper items, books, etc., behind closed doors. Ever notice how the spines of books in a bookcase crumble and the rest of the books stay like new? UV light did it.
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

Rusty wrote:I can see it now, a guy in a trench coat... psssst! Hey buddy, wanna buy a light bulb? Straight from China.

Rusty <><

LOL that a good one................. but sad to say it may be true
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I've already got them in most places you screw in a bulb, they DO NOT last 5 years, they don't like to work in outside buildings when it's cold, they don't like vibration, as in ceiling fans.

Other then that, for general lighting, you really don't notice them, maybe for doing detailed close work, you'll need a higher wattage, or whatever you need to do.

But the BS of how much you'll save reminds me of counting your chickens before they hatch.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

old06 wrote:
Rusty wrote:I can see it now, a guy in a trench coat... psssst! Hey buddy, wanna buy a light bulb? Straight from China.

Rusty <><

LOL that a good one................. but sad to say it may be true
I dunno - I think if someone offered to sell me a good old-fashioned toilet (instead of these new low-flush frustration machines) - I'd jump! :wink:
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I like CFL's and have them all over my house. They do not like the cold, they don't like vibration, and they don't always last 5 years either.

Saying that, when I was a kid(younger kid :D ) we had a light over the stairwell going to the basement. We kept it on at night so me and my brother could see to get to the bathroom. We put a CFL in the socket once and didn't change it for like 4 years.

Thats what I call cheap and efficient.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Four comments:
1. If you can not sell a product, have the government pass a law that forces people to buy it.

2. I have tried the CFL bulbs and went back to incandescent because of the wavelength of the light does not show true colors - aleays picking out the wrong tie or socks or other accessories to match clothes.

3. No, they do not always last several years and incandescents do not always burn out in a few months. We have used the so-called commercial/industrial bulbs for many years and they last as long as the CFLs we tried.

4. Last, but most inportant, what is the real burner of electricity in a house? The air conditioning and other major appliences, not the lights.
Just like the tiny reservoir flush toilets(hate them - must flush multiple times!) that Y Kid references, their advertised savings is negligable compared to watering the yard, washing clothes, washing dishes, not to mention commercial uses of water. A solution looking for a problem.

This is just more "feel good" legislation from a meddling government!

Closing - fed govt, go away and leave us alone to make our own decisions!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

crs wrote:Four comments:
1. If you can not sell a product, have the government pass a law that forces people to buy it.

2. I have tried the CFL bulbs and went back to incandescent because of the wavelength of the light does not show true colors - aleays picking out the wrong tie or socks or other accessories to match clothes.

3. No, they do not always last several years and incandescents do not always burn out in a few months. We have used the so-called commercial/industrial bulbs for many years and they last as long as the CFLs we tried.

4. Last, but most inportant, what is the real burner of electricity in a house? The air conditioning and other major appliences, not the lights.
Just like the tiny reservoir flush toilets(hate them - must flush multiple times!) that Y Kid references, their advertised savings is negligable compared to watering the yard, washing clothes, washing dishes, not to mention commercial uses of water. A solution looking for a problem.

This is just more "feel good" legislation from a meddling government!

Closing - fed govt, go away and leave us alone to make our own decisions!

I think #1 in your list is the most likely culprit here. The US has a long and glorious history of pandering to industrial/financial interests - even starting wars and overthrowing governments to keep a commodity flowing cheaply so the US companies can prosper. No, I'm not talking about oil - I'm talking about BANANAS!
.........THE TWINS..........

WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I use them and have only had one go bad so far.
I have also noticed a significant difference in my electric bill.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
redeux
Levergunner

Post by redeux »

a friend had 2 of the cfl's catch fire in his living room lights...
he swore he would never let the libtards sell him another 'energy saving' device...
i have a lifetime supply of old style bulbs because i knew this was coming for some time...
i can't stand to try and read under cfl's , just flat kills my vision in about 15-20 minutes...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I am with the NO croud for all the reasons stated. I bought one to please my wife who requested it (prolly heard they were good on Opra) It did not last long enough to burn out. I sent it to the land fill where all that kind of krapp ( forgot who I stole that from) belongs! :x
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

I don't care for the light that comes from them. If that improves, I might buy them. However, I am definitely AGAINST the feds mandating I can't buy another kind of light. That is unconstitutional to the extreme. The Constitution gives the federal government NO authority to mandate what kind of light bulb or toilet I buy.
.........THE TWINS..........

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Soooo, will we have the Jackbooted Thugs crashing the door at 0300 to confiscate our lightbulbs? Probably.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

"What you in for?"

"Light bulb infraction. You?"

"I flushed too many times."

Laugh all you want. This is the kind of stuff Queen Hillary has in store for us! :(