Asian Buffalo Hunt at Nugents Ranch....Pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JJ_Miller
Shootist

Asian Buffalo Hunt at Nugents Ranch....Pics

Post by JJ_Miller »

Ted wanted some buff on his ranch in Waco to hunt. He bought 2 and they about wrecked the place. He called me and asked me if I would help him \rid the place of them. Being the friendly guy I am I agreeded to lend him a hand.

Ted said we can have them shot soon and it would make a good Spirit Of The Wild TV show.

Well me being from back East, I did not know what thick cedar breaks were in the TX hill country, but I soon found out.

To make a long story short after 3 days of crawling on our bellys 10 yrds from the 2 buff through and over the cedar and shale we had not killed anything.

On the third day we managed to get this one bull in a short opening and I put 2 SW 500 Mag bullets through his shoulders at 10 yrds after he stared us down for about 5 minutes. He died game. He gave off a death bellow just like a Cape Buffalo. It was a tough hunt.

The rifle was a Ruger 375, Ted adopted it after the first day and put his bow down. The pucker factor was about a 9. There were times when we could not see the bull but he could see us at 7 to 10 yards. It was a very intense hunt.

I was shooting the 440gn Cor-Bon factory load. Both bullets went completely through, but they did the job. This buff was not afraid of us at all. It was one darn fine hunt..........................................JJ
Last edited by JJ_Miller on Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Cool!
Personally, I would have used a 'long barreled' revolver... :wink:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Is that a .500 S&W?
Details man details. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That is really awesome...and a picture with the Nuge to boot :) Congratulations!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D Congrats! I guess Uncle Ted didn't persuade you to use a bow and arrow :D . Oh by the way, how does the pucker factor rate on that size of critter? Thanks, Tom
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Must....Have....More....Detail!!!! :shock:
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:Is that a .500 S&W?
Details man details. :D
+1 You're teasing us!
JJ_Miller
Shootist

Post by JJ_Miller »

I did not know it at the time of the hunt, but these buff would chase Teds ranch hands when they were out tending the fences or filling the feeders on the Polaris Ranger. One of them attacked the Ranger and butted the hell out of it. Just plain bad tempered I guess.............................JJ
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Neato pics and story. Maybe you can get the ole "Cat Scratch Fever" dude to join us here on the board from time to time------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'd imagine ole Uncle Ted doesn't have time to play on the puter. He's pretty high octane, at least what little time I've been around him and watched him on TV. Doesn't sit in one place very long, unless he's hunting.
Old Law Dawg
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The water buffalo is my favorite exotic species to hunt. For the same reasons you cited, I keep very few on our ranch. They have wrecked fences, turned over ATV's and smashed the door in on a truck. We have been charged twice. One buff just squared off for a charge on last years TX Levergun Safari when JoeyH put a 525gr bullet in his shoulder, stopping him cold. Your report was great and the trophy is very nice. They are real good eating too! Congratulations!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Sounds like a great time!!
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/