OT - Help me choose my EBP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

OT - Help me choose my EBP

Post by RSY »

I'm looking at:

XD40
XD(M)
M&P40
M&P45

Now, if you say M&P45, should I get the 4" or 4.5" model. I like long barrels, but I'm not exactly sure that extra 0.5" is really worth anything, in this case.

Thanks, in advance.

Scott
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Help me choose my EBP

Post by pharmseller »

Glock
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I take it your not a Glock fan? Of the ones your listed I have only held a XD40, but I really liked it.
NRA Life Member
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

No, not a real Glock fan for a number of reasons. The Glock is actually an OBP (OLD Black Pistol). :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have an XD40 tactical model, and just got a Glock 27 (the sub-compact .40). Haven't had the latter long enough to make a good comparison. I do like the grip safety on the XD40.
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

I recently picked up a beretta PX4 Storm 45 acp.
Very nice ....

I'm not much help I reckon just one more to think about .....
AQHA Life Member
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I had a .40S&W Glock. Every time I handled it, I worried about ADs and KBs. It shot very well.
I traded it for a .40S&W Sig. :D It also shoots very well, and I am very comfortable handling it.
I suppose that someone, somewhere has KB'd a Sig, but you sure don't hear much about it.
Each to their own, I say.
It seems especially with autoloaders, most folks have one kind that just plain works better for them.
That doesn't seem to be as big a problem with revolvers.

Jack
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

pharmseller wrote:Glock
Nichts mehr zu sagen...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Either of the Springfields. Glocks are great if you like them; they're not if you don't, same as any other firearm.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Love the Para-Ordnance's - wide body if you have large hands, regular if not. Plain old bangety-bang, but they are reliable and durable in my experience (maybe 8,000 rounds through several I've owned over the years).

ALSO - If you like double action, you owe it to yourself to at least dry-fire one of their LDA's before you make your purchase decision. Better trigger than anything I've shot other than maybe a Contender pistol; amazing!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

I would suggest going to a range and try out you choices .. and get the one that fits ...

as for me I'm a HK USP fan, full size in 40 or 357sig. I prefer my 40's to
my glocks but have to admit my sig 220's and 1911's are just as high on my
list ... well after my 3" redhawk in 45lc.

just a thought ....

Talon
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow - don't know what any of those are. Get a single action.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Colt 1911
ED
Yer never too old
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My son bought a Glock M21. He reads a lot. After a while he got rid of it and bought a 1911. Now he's as happy as a clam at high tide.

Sorry but IMNSHO plastic is for kiddie toys, real guns should be made from walnut and steel. The first time I ever saw plastic on a gun was when Mossberg replaced their trigger group with the one they have now. The old ones were alloy and top shelf. these are not so good. I guess it depends on yer comin up.

BTW, I shot the Glock myself. I could stack round after round in the X ring with it, but after firing a magazine full I'd look at the target and look at the gun and think to myself how did those things get there? The trigger just doesn't feel like anything I've ever shot before. It just made me uncomfortable.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

H_Talon wrote:I would suggest going to a range and try out you choices .. and get the one that fits ...
+1
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Tycer wrote:
H_Talon wrote:I would suggest going to a range and try out you choices .. and get the one that fits ...
+1
+1 and then some.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've got a Glock. Have held an XD. I like the XD over the Glock for the one safety feature the Glock doesn't have and that's the grip safety. Running around my place with the Glock, I've had to place it in my back pocket, etc.. for a short walk to the tractor or whatever and it makes me darn nervous. If anything happens to get inside the trigger bow and push on the trigger. Well, there ya go, a ND.

Now, before everyone starts asking me why I'm not carrying that thing in a holster, I'll tell you. Have you ever bucked hay packing a piece.?Put up fencing? Jumped in and out of a tractor? It's a pain working with a gun on your hip in those situations.

Why do I have a Glock? Because, I'm not about to subject my 1911's to dirt duty. I picked it up when sometimes I was required to crawl through muck and mire and again I wasn't about to tear up my 1911's. Would they take it, sure, but it's like your car. Would your car take not having it's oil changed for some time again and a again? Yep, but would you want to do that knowing the end results. No. The Glock cost $400, my 1911's $1,000 - 2,000. Plus, I had an AR15 and a Rem 700 for company.

I love my 1911's.
Old Law Dawg
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I have Glocks also, they are tools that work every time, but they are soulless creatures :)
A friend of mine bought the S&W M&P and he was a die hard Glock guy, I got to handle it and prefer it to the XD.
If I ever dumped my Glocks I would go the M&P.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Salvo said it.

I have Glocks also, they are tools that work every time, but they are soulless creatures

I feel the same way.
Old Law Dawg
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

I like the XD as it takes some from the Glock design, the Sig, and the 1911 grip saftey, and IIRC has a fully supported chamber. I had my XD-45 a couple years ago and Springfield didnt sell or make parts available like triggers and such. You had to send the pistol in if you wanted such or needed it serviced. With a Glock, there is no such nonsense as parts are everywhere. Dont know if Springfield has changed thier stance on this or not, but it is the reason I sent mine packin. There may be an abundance of aftermarket parts now available. I dont know.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Sure, that is the source of my short list there. I have played with and could live with any of them. Just trying to narrow it down, at this point. For me, a defensive pistol does not have to shoot bug-hole groups. What is important to me is feel and function/reliability.

As for M1911s, I agree about the "soul" thing. However, I have seen many, many M1911s that have been modded out to the point where they have not an ounce more soul than any polymer piece.

I have plenty of pieces with character. Sometimes you just need something for a gunfight. As much as I worship at the altar of St. JMB, in a pinch I'd rather have something maybe a little uglier that is less finicky and feeds off a 15-round magazine instead of 7 or 8.

Scott
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I like my Glocks (19&26) but like a couple other's have said they are just tools. I began shooting IDPA a few years ago with my 1911. After about a year I decided I didn't really want to put all that wear and tear on a $1000 custom pistol. Plus the cost differece in ammo switching to 9mm would alomost pay for the new G19. Over 5000 rounds later I've had it jam once! That was with the CCI Alum. Blazers.

Probably isn'ta heck of a lot of difference between the Glock and the XD as far as function and reliability. Comes down to whtch one fits better. To me I the XD doesn't feel right.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

kimwcook wrote:Salvo said it.

I have Glocks also, they are tools that work every time, but they are soulless creatures

I feel the same way.
Amen!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

SIG :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I don't think I've met a piece of "fantastic-plastic" that had a soul. Just don't think it is possible. As noted, they do make good tools and have there place in anyone's individual armory...
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Yes, as far as the plastic wonders go, my first choice would be a Glock. I used to own a Glock 19, it never ever jammed on me, but they are had to love, but then again what does love have to do with it?

I sold the Glock, and a couple of other guns, to finally scrape up enough money for a Wilson Combat 1911, and I have never regreted it. But then again I am a 1911 man, and I have been shooting them too long to change now.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

One reason PDs still usually go with Glock instead of the XD for issued handguns is because detail-stripping is far more complicated, and there is no armorer program available for the XD; it has to go back to Springfield Armory for service. I do not know how good SA's customer service is. S&W is well-known for good customer service.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Some people swear by the Glocks. For me, they just don't fit my hand well. I think the XD feels better and points more naturally. I really like the 4" service model. The S&W M&P also feels very comfortable in the hand, and has the adjustable grip. Either one would be a fine choice. I went with the Kahr, since I was more interested in a slimmer CC pistol.

Which one do you shoot better?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jdad wrote:SIG :wink:
I think if I were getting a "new" plastic pistol it would be the new SiG P250 Modular with the "drop-in" reciever/trigger group.

The ability to switch from subcompact to fullsize to whatever is really cool IMO.

That or maybe a FiveseveN... (if it weren't for the lousy supply train...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Old Ironsights wrote:
I think if I were getting a "new" plastic pistol it would be the new SiG P250 Modular with the "drop-in" reciever/trigger group.

The ability to switch from subcompact to fullsize to whatever is really cool IMO.

The Sig website appears to be down for the count. Weird.

Scott
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

One thing I forgot to mention about the S&W M&P is that it has an ambidextrous slide release. That is a dream come true for a lefty like me!

Scott
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

RSY wrote:One thing I forgot to mention about the S&W M&P is that it has an ambidextrous slide release. That is a dream come true for a lefty like me!

Scott
As a fellow southpaw, I looked at the M&P. Ended up with a Glock 30. It felt better in my hand. That, and even with 1911's, I've always pulled the slide back if I ran a mag dry. Don't know why, had a couple of "experts" tell me it was wrong, yet, it works for me.

By the way, the definition of an "expert" is, "someone who tells someone else, who has been doing a thing for decades, how to do something they have never done themselves". They haunt every endeavor attepted by man.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

RSY wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

Scott
Yeah. Oddly enough, it crashed while I was there this afternoon...

They may dislike me... :roll: :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jeepnik wrote:...By the way, the definition of an "expert" is, "someone who tells someone else, who has been doing a thing for decades, how to do something they have never done themselves"...
Naah. Here is the actual definition:

"Ex" is an unknown quantity,

"Spurt" is a Drip under pressure...

Therefore an "Exspurt" is:

"An Unknown Drip Under Pressure". :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I always heard that an expert was someone who's wife had left the room...

AFA the original question, I tried a sub-compact XD9 and the companion size Glock 9mm (26?). Neither felt good in my hand but I shot the 26 much better. I didn't care for the muzzle flip of the XD. OTOH a friend just bought a 5" XD45 and couldn't be happier.

This past weekend I took a class where G17s were supplied (along with the ammo so it wasn't hard to get past the idea of shooting a Glock :lol: ). It still didn't feel "right" in my hand but I scored 249 out of 250 with it. :wink:

I'd have no issues with a Glock IF they fit my hand as well as a BHP. Ever thought about getting a compact BHP?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Ironsights wrote:
jeepnik wrote:...By the way, the definition of an "expert" is, "someone who tells someone else, who has been doing a thing for decades, how to do something they have never done themselves"...
Naah. Here is the actual definition:

"Ex" is an unknown quantity,

"Spurt" is a Drip under pressure...

Therefore an "Exspurt" is:

"An Unknown Drip Under Pressure". :twisted:
Okay, I like this one. Anybody got anymore?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Browning High Power. Now that is a seriously good suggestion. I used one for a bit overseas. Never shot anything live with it, but it did handle nicely, and even with the double stacked mag seemed to fit my hand well. Ended up going back to the 1911 though. For some reason, maybe just the felt recoil, it was more reassuring.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
tarkio
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tarkio »

kimwcook wrote:I've got a Glock. Have held an XD. I like the XD over the Glock for the one safety feature the Glock doesn't have and that's the grip safety. Running around my place with the Glock, I've had to place it in my back pocket, etc.. for a short walk to the tractor or whatever and it makes me darn nervous. If anything happens to get inside the trigger bow and push on the trigger. Well, there ya go, a ND.

Now, before everyone starts asking me why I'm not carrying that thing in a holster, I'll tell you. Have you ever bucked hay packing a piece.?Put up fencing? Jumped in and out of a tractor? It's a pain working with a gun on your hip in those situations.

Why do I have a Glock? Because, I'm not about to subject my 1911's to dirt duty. I picked it up when sometimes I was required to crawl through muck and mire and again I wasn't about to tear up my 1911's. Would they take it, sure, but it's like your car. Would your car take not having it's oil changed for some time again and a again? Yep, but would you want to do that knowing the end results. No. The Glock cost $400, my 1911's $1,000 - 2,000. Plus, I had an AR15 and a Rem 700 for company.

I love my 1911's.
Yes I have and do wear a sidearm on me constantly when bucking bales, working cows, in and out of a tractor, fencing etc. I really feel the need to emphasize that if you are going to carry a Glock, you must carry it holstered because your fears are appropriate. Put your holster at 4:00 - 5:00 and it shouldn't be in the way. The other option is opening a hole in your leg or butt or groin. If you aren't willing to do this, stop carrying your Glock. I, by the way, carry at 3:00.

You carry a Glock for the right reasons and know that how you are carrying it is incorrect yet you continue to do so. Not very good judgment.

As to the other choices. I don't have any experience with the M&P. However I have been around XDs handling them, having other students in firearms classes with me, watching them in action etc. People here are high on the grip safety, however, it raises a problem. Try to clear a failure singlehandedly with this firearm. Thry to clear a type III malfunction. Not very easy to do at all compared to most all other sidearms. Also, my experience with them is that the platform is a good platform, the grip angle fits some very well but I do not like the difficulty this sidearm causes when you have to clear malfunctions. I really believe the weak point with the XDs that I saw last year was the mags. We were dropping mags non-stop all day and a short time into the day, the XDs started faltering. Mainly from a failure to feed because of a little dirt that got into the XD mags. There were 3 or 4 XDs, 12 - 14 Glocks and 2 HKs and a 1911 or two. Going through 4-500 rounds per person, the only sidearms that had problems were the XDs. And THEY ALL HAD ISSUES.

So until you convince me that the mag issue is corrected, I have No interest. At the time of the course where I watched these sidearms, I was considering one for my wife. After that course, because of the mag issues and grip safety impairing your ability clearing this weapon, I bought her a Glock 19.

Me, I carry an HK USP compact and love it. The best sidearm for me.

You, I would suggest what others here have said, shoot them all and see which works for you.
----------------------------------
I'd rather die while I'm living
than live while I'm dead.
I'm growing old but not up.
Jimmy Buffett
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

XD45 - 13 rounds of whoop butt :D

I love mine. Fits my medium sized hands great. Shoots cast bullets jest fine too. ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

Not on your possibles list, but I have become fond of my FN Fiveseven OI mentioned. Not a small gun but very light. Loaded with 20 rounds it weighs less than an empty Glock 17. Modest recoil. FN loads do 1700 & 2000 fps. Elite Ammunition has a couple different loads that exceed the FN stuff. Their S4 Ultra Raptor does 2600 fps. I have had no malfunctions in the 600+ rounds I've fired so far. I like the little bottle-neck cartridge. Image
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

DANG, I MUST BE GETTING STUPID IN MY OLD AGE. I'VE BEEN IN THIS BIDNESS 58 YEARS AND HAVE NO CLUE WHAT AN EBP MIGHT BE.
OR MIGHT IT BE YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS ARE MAKING UP STUFF AS YOU GO ALONG ??
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

It's one of them Ebil Black Pistolas made out of that plastic stuff.

Kinda like an Ebil Black Rifle, only stubbier, but just as scary to the Libs.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I figured it meant Evil Black President the first time I saw it.... been reading too many of those political posts I guess.... :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Terry Murbach wrote: OR MIGHT IT BE YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS ARE MAKING UP STUFF AS YOU GO ALONG ??
darn it, we done been caught! :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I'd go with the M&P in 45 given the choices. I've been issued an M&P40 for 2 1/2 years now; I bought the compact 40 last year to use for back-up. I recently picked up an M&P9mm for my daughter and I'll probably get another for myself eventually. (Just not a big fan of the 40 cartridge)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Terry Murbach wrote:DANG, I MUST BE GETTING STUPID IN MY OLD AGE. I'VE BEEN IN THIS BIDNESS 58 YEARS AND HAVE NO CLUE WHAT AN EBP MIGHT BE.
OR MIGHT IT BE YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS ARE MAKING UP STUFF AS YOU GO ALONG ??
He He... Dang, never thought I'd start a trend!

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... bp#p150686
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Ironsights wrote:It's one of them Ebil Black Pistolas made out of that plastic stuff.

Kinda like an Ebil Black Rifle, only stubbier, but just as scary to the Libs.

That's what I figured OI!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I figured it meant Evil Black President the first time I saw it.... been reading too many of those political posts I guess.... :lol:

Okay Jac - now you owe me a keyboard!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

RSY wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

Scott
No, not weird, just a friendly neighborhood ice storm in New Hampshire, where SIG's USA operations are located.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

airedaleman wrote:
kimwcook wrote:Salvo said it.

I feel the same way.
Amen!
agree!
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...