Getting lead out..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Getting lead out..

Post by Bruce Scott »

Like to hear about your preferred methods and, in particular, home made recipes.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Getting lead out..

Post by marlinman93 »

50-50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. Plug the bore and fill it, then after a couple minutes drain and clean. Be sure to oil it well afterwards as the bore will be very bare!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

marlinman93 wrote:50-50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. Plug the bore and fill it, then after a couple minutes drain and clean. Be sure to oil it well afterwards as the bore will be very bare!
MM93, Does it make any difference in what type of vineger used. cider or white ? I want to try you mixture on 45 Colt SA bbls..........
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I dont often have any leading but if I do a piece of a "Chore Boy" copper scouring pad wraped around a bore brush takes it out quick. Use no lube, lube causes the brush or bore cleaning patch to just slip past the lead. Lead will stick to a dry patch/brush and be removed.
:D
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

I use the Lewis Lead Remover when need be.I did have to make my own plug for it though to rake through the .32 barrel.
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Afternoon Bruce,

You may find the information in the following link useful:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Cheers

Mark
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

victor wrote:I use the Lewis Lead Remover when need be.I did have to make my own plug for it though to rake through the .32 barrel.
Yep! :D Me too, The Lewis Removers are great on handguns. For rifles, I use an Outers Foul Out, especially on old barrels that have been neglected--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I'm more of an old AC/DC (Bon Scott era) or Black Sabbath fan but I like a little Led Zep I, IV (Signs) or Houses of the Holy every once in a while myself.

Wait...sorry, I misread the title. I thought it was a thread on getting the Led out.... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

awp101 wrote:I'm more of an old AC/DC (Bon Scott era) or Black Sabbath fan but I like a little Led Zep I, IV (Signs) or Houses of the Holy every once in a while myself.
You and me both! :D Add the "Yes", Jethro Tull, and some Moody Blues, but AC/DC--I hate 'em--sounds like screaming.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Sixgun wrote:
awp101 wrote:I'm more of an old AC/DC (Bon Scott era) or Black Sabbath fan but I like a little Led Zep I, IV (Signs) or Houses of the Holy every once in a while myself.
You and me both! :D Add the "Yes", Jethro Tull, and some Moody Blues, but AC/DC--I hate 'em--sounds like screaming.---------Sixgun
I'll add your Yes (saw them on the Union tour in '94. I was probably the youngest person there that wasn't dragged in by their parents. :lol: ) but JT and the MB I can take in small doses. :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Curiousgb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Curiousgb »

victor wrote:I use the Lewis Lead Remover when need be.I did have to make my own plug for it though to rake through the .32 barrel.
+2
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I dont often have any leading but if I do a piece of a "Chore Boy" copper scouring pad wraped around a bore brush takes it out quick. Use no lube, lube causes the brush or bore cleaning patch to just slip past the lead. Lead will stick to a dry patch/brush and be removed.
:D
Bruce,

This is also my preferred method. It works great. You will not believe the raw chunks of lead that scrubbing pad will scrape out of the bore. Just make sure it's a copper pad. Many of them are now some sort of copper colored steel.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

some jacketed bullets loaded backwards with reduced charges are great lead sweepers. :) That's the lazy man's lead removal method.

Of course, the best bet is not to get the leading in the first place.

I;ve found that Lee's Liquid Alox lube is a fantastic way to prevent leading. The only down side is that it's kinda sticky but you can whipe it off of the bullet nose - doesn't do any good there anyway...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Lewis lead remover.
Old Law Dawg
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Bruce Scott wrote:Like to hear about your preferred methods and, in particular, home made recipes.
Gday Bruce,
Sorry its not a home type recipe, but I have had great success with Boretech Eliminator, just follow the instructions, its made in the U.S. Does copper as well. Have used it for 18 months now, shoot lead in all my firearms, wont use anything else now.
Rgds
The Telegraphist
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Brownell's also sells bronze wool pads and wrapping some around a brush seems to help with the 'mechanical' aspect of lead removal better than the brush alone.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I use a pinch of extra fine steel wool, put it in a pull-through, and scrub back and forth as I move it down the barrel. Contrary to popular opinion, it will not harm your bore in the least unless you do it thousands of times.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Sixgun wrote:
Steely Dan ain't too shabby either.

Add me to the Lewis Lead Remover List.
ED
Yer never too old
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

The Chore Boy copper pads work and won't harm the bore. In really bad cases I have used........whispering almost inaudibly......... mercury.

Modoc ED wrote:
Sixgun wrote:
Yes and Pink Floyd also!!!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Boreman wrote:
marlinman93 wrote:50-50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. Plug the bore and fill it, then after a couple minutes drain and clean. Be sure to oil it well afterwards as the bore will be very bare!
MM93, Does it make any difference in what type of vineger used. cider or white ? I want to try you mixture on 45 Colt SA bbls..........
I've used the white vinegar, but don't see why other types wont work.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Thanks for all replies.

I recently tried tea tree oil* with some success. It doesn't dissolve the lead but appears to loosen its hold on the steel. I'm getting out slivers of lead and on a well soaked patch with a pullthrough.

Next I'm going to try eucalyptus oil**, which I hope may be as good (or better). As an oil mallee grower I'm interested in new applications for eucalyptus oil. :wink:

*http://uqconnect.net/~zzttrees/teatreeoil.html
**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_oil
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Modoc ED wrote:
Sixgun wrote:
Saw them a couple of months ago when they came through Dallas. Second time for me and my sister, third time for Dad.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I may be one of the unenlightened, but still use a small amount of elbow grease, solvent, patch and brush. For problem lead I leave a good solvent in the bore overnight(Hoppes bench rest or Kroil)...come back the next day with a dry patch, brush it and check. If necessary repeat the whole process. To avoid frustration I don't try to do it all at once but sometimes once is all that's needed. I recently used Kroil solvent for the soak and the lead seemed to come out quicker. The most effective method is to tailor your lead/loads to where you get only a little frosty lead that comes right out with a few strokes of a bronze brush. I am shooting a Gas checked bullet at around 2100 fps with little to no problems. Ruger forcing cones however..... :roll:

PS...if all else fails, the Outer Foul Out system does work. But the solvent for their unit is expensive to keep buying to use it on any regular basis. Also, as you know, keep the bore horizontal or slanted towards the muzzle when the solvent is in, to prevent it from running back into the buttstock. I keep the gun in a wooden gun cradle and toss a hefty bag over it to keep the dust down.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

Ditto on AC/DC (Bon Scott years). Cant discard the Back In Black album though. The best comeback album IMO.
Ditto on Jethro Tull. Aqua Lung is a most excellent album.
Ditto on Steely Dan. They have put out some darn fine tunes thats for sure.
Ditto on Led Zepplin. Gotta get the "Led" out. I watched Song Remains The Same this morning when I got up.
Ditto on Outers foul out and the Chor boy for getting the lead out.

Marlinman, thanks for posting the peroxide and vinegar solution. I'm gonna have to give that one a try. Thanks.
:)
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Let the bore set up with a bit of Hoppes #9 and then work it with a tight fitting jag and patch. Stubborn lead requires something mechanical like the copper wool. I use a tornado brush.

I would be cautious about leaving vinegar in the bore very long. It may etch the bore, and will definitely remove bluing!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva