OT kind of: metallurgy question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

OT kind of: metallurgy question

Post by coyote nose »

I often use Kasenit compound on mild steel to case harden it. My question is, can I also use it on stainless steel? Will the carbon migrate into the surface of stainless steel and harden the surface?
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Colt1849
Levergunner

Post by Colt1849 »

Is this for a gun part? If so I wouldn’t try it. I suspect most hardened parts on a SS gun are thru hardened and not case hardened. Also you don’t know what type of Stainless you have.

I do know that I use Stainless in my Color Case Hardening; fixtures, containers etc.. no measurable hardening.
Mike Hunter
Hunter Restorations
www.Hunterrestorations.com
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I am no expert, far from it, but I seem to remember a friend trying that with lousy results. I think I would not try that!! Good luck!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!