My 7 year old got his first deer - not with a levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

My 7 year old got his first deer - not with a levergun

Post by Bitmap »

I took my two oldest hunting this past week. The 9yo is an old salt with 4 deer to his credit but the 7yo hadn't scored a deer before. We had about given up for the morning and were getting ready to go get a little breakfast. I was off getting the truck and left the boys with Grandpa when I heard shots.

The story from my dad is that Grandpa and the boys had walked away from the blind and the kids had been making all kinds of racket. I could hear them laughing from 200 yards away. Grandpa had said "If you will be quiet we might still see a deer."

As if on queue a 2x2 mule deer buck walked out of the trees. 9yo had already taken a doe a couple of weeks ago so it was 7yo's turn. Grandpa was carrying the 7yo's rifle and said "Shoot him" and tried to hand the rifle to the big boy. The 7yo said "I left my ear protection in the blind and if I shoot him I'll be deaf for life."

Grandpa still had his ears on but by the time they transfered them to the 7yo the deer had walked into some more trees. Grandpa and the 7yo left the 9yo with instructions to stay put and cover his ears.

They were walking towards the deer with the 7yo in the lead and Grandpa following and carrying the rifle. They were looking for a place for the 7yo to rest his gun on when the deer looked towards them. 7yo never missed a beat - he just took a couple of steps to the side to put a tree in the line of sight from the deer and kept going with Grandpa following.

They got to a tree that had a low limb on it. 7yo said he could make the shot so Grandpa set the rifle on the rest and covered his ears. 7yo shot the deer. The first shot hit him a little high in the spine. The deer's back legs were paralyzed but he was trying to crawl off on his front legs. The big boy tried to shoot him again but between his excitement and the deer moving he missed so Grandpa walked up to the deer and finished him off with a .357 by shooting him in the neck.

We had left our rangefinders at home so we paced off the distance of his shot at 47 long steps. Call it 45-50 yards.

The rifle has a Colt Blue Label A2 carbine upper in 7.62x39 with a Trijicon Relfex 2 mounted on a carry handle scout mount. It has a Double Star lower with a Magpul CTR on it. I like the CTR because I can set the LOP for him and lock it in place so it doesn't rattle, and if I need (or want) to take a shot I can lengthen it and I'm ready to go. The strap on cheek rest is from Fulton Armory. The cheek rest is needed because of the mounting height on the A2 upper. I would have a flat top upper if I could but beggars can't be choosers. The ammo is Winchester 123gr. Power Point factory loads.

Now for the important stuff:

The boy and his deer.

He looks like he's thinking about what a beautiful animal he's just put in the freezer. I think I always get a look like that for a few minutes.

Now he has the smile back.

Here he is with my dad.

Here is a pic with me. I was handing him the rifle so we could get pics of him with it and my dad took this pic. I like it.

I hope your hunting season is going as well as ours this year!!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My 7 year old got his first deer - not with a levergun

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Wow! That sure beats any record that I have known...course in my neck of the woods it is illegal for anyone under 12 to hunt with a gun.

Congrats! :D :D :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

How horrible. A child hunting Deer with an EBR... :shock: :wink:

Sarah Brady must be having an anyurism. Hopefully. :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Ironsights wrote:How horrible. A child hunting Deer with an EBR... :shock: :wink:

Sarah Brady must be having an anyurism. Hopefully. :twisted:
+1,000,000,000,000.... :twisted:

Congratulations Bitmap!
:D :mrgreen: 8)
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Give him a pat on the back and tell him good job for me! You can get him a levergun for next year :P :lol: .
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Man, a nice buck and turkey in the same season - or was that your 9 year old that got the turkey? Anyway, regardless congrats!! Good on your dad :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

Bitmap, that's awesome!

I fully agree with your 7-yo grandson's use of an EBR for his first deer. Break him in slowly. Next year, have him use a levergun. :wink:
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bitmap »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Man, a nice buck and turkey in the same season - or was that your 9 year old that got the turkey? Anyway, regardless congrats!! Good on your dad :)
I know I made several posts, but some forums that I like to show off on have a limit of 5 pics per post. I like to type up one post and copy and paste it to all of the forums so I decided to go with several posts.

The 7yo got his first deer and two turkeys so far this season. The 9yo got his forth deer, a whitetail doe, and two turkeys so far this season, but unfortunately my camera was in the shop and Grandpa forgot his the night the 9yo took his deer, so no pics of that one :cry:.

Here is a pic of the 9yo with his mule deer buck from last season.

With luck I'll get a deer this season and I think I'll try to get two or three turkey this fall and we can all go back for a couple more in the spring. I don't like to take a deer before the boys get theirs.
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bitmap »

BlueStateSaint wrote:Bitmap, that's awesome!

I fully agree with your 7-yo grandson's use of an EBR for his first deer. Break him in slowly. Next year, have him use a levergun. :wink:
It's funny. The 7yo likes his rifle and wouldn't trade it for any other. The 9yo feels the same way about his M336.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You really should send that photo to some area newspapers. They might publish it since it is a charming "Grampa helps kid get first deer" thing, PLUS it might educate the EBR-phobics to the fact that those guns ARE practical for hunting - especially for kids!

(...low recoil, appropriate length stock, factory sights intuitive to use, durable if dropped, muzzle won't plug with dirt if 'dipped' by short little kid, easier to load/unload safely than tubular magazine, grip suitable for smaller hands - and - they even look kind of cool...)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Most excellent! Tell the young man congratulations. 8)

AJMD429 wrote:You really should send that photo to some area newspapers. They might publish it since it is a charming "Grampa helps kid get first deer" thing, PLUS it might educate the EBR-phobics to the fact that those guns ARE practical for hunting - especially for kids!
+1 That might help sway some of the fence-sitters, and really pi$$ off some of the antis. :wink:
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Another great job! Wow! Good on all of you.
Old Law Dawg
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Sweet!!!
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Congrats to your boys, good show! I like your choice in chambering especially for your 7 year old, the 7.62 x 39 is nice balance of recoil to killing ability. :wink:
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Congratulations to your son, grandpa, and you! These memories are what it is all about.
JDL
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sweet! Thanks for handing down the tradition!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Bitmap wrote:
BlueStateSaint wrote:Bitmap, that's awesome!

It's funny. The 7yo likes his rifle and wouldn't trade it for any other. The 9yo feels the same way about his M336.
Just shows he's smarter than his brother...

He knowes he can ask for a Ceiner for Christmas and be able to shoot it LOTS more for less money tha his brother can that 336 :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Sweet! Thanks for handing down the tradition!
+ 1 :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Awesome!