Unusual 1895 Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Unusual 1895 Marlin

Post by Swampman »

I bought an unusual 1895 Marlin today. The S/N is B00XXXX. I'm guessing it was a small lot run or something. The stock is nicer than typically found on Marlins. The finish is very smooth and satiny almost like a Browning. It has a straight wrist, round 22" barrel, a cresent buttplate, and a non-hooded front sight.

Can anyone tell me what I have?

The metal is 100%, but the stock has a few small dings.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Sounds like one my brother bought back in the late '70s? I think one of my nephews still owns it?
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

The S/N doesn't work with Marlin's year manufactured numbering system. That's why I think it was a special run.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I think it may have be a first year model(1972) 1895. I think that year they featured ballard style rifling. Great find! 1886.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I actually like it better than the Cowboy. I'd like to add a sling but I kinda hate to drill the buttstock. The wood isn't perfect but it's pretty nice. I am planning on hunting with it.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

886 is correct. It is not a special run, but a very early 1895. For some reason they used a serial number that didn't jive with any other Marlins, or their usual data.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

There were a number of slip-on cover/slings that members make. They'll have to post pics here now but they would solve your problen without drilling. Start a new topic and get the info from them.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Picture? Please! :wink:
Fungus Sam
Shootist

Post by Fungus Sam »

Swampman, several replies have identified your gun; it is a 1972/3 production Marlin. I have one like yours, not as nice, that I definitely know was made in 1972. Its s/n is B007XXX. They are really nice guns. Tom
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

EARLY 1895

Post by blueroan »

Does is it have a 1/2 or 3/4 magazine. I had one prior to 1975 that was great. It was stolen in a burglary in 1978, along with a lot of other nice items. I learned a lot about reloading with that big boy.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

This gun has a 3/4 magazine tube. I will try to post some pics this afternoon. My S/N is B003XXX

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Got this somewhere -- can't remember. Your rifle would be a first year manufacture - 1972. Enjoy.

For the "New Model" Marlin 1895 the first year of manufacture, 1972, included a B0 prefix. That is "bee" "zero". Otherwise up to 2000 subtract the first two digits from 2000 to get the year of manufacture and after 2000 subtract the first two digits from 2100 to get the year of manufacture.
ED
Yer never too old