Burgess-Kennedy Leverguns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Burgess-Kennedy Leverguns?

Post by Last Spike »

How common are these and how do they compare to Winchesters of that time period?

Thanks!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The Burgess-Kennedy and Whitney-Kennedy firearms were far superior to anything else made at that time! The designs were really so far advanced that when the company was in financial trouble, Winchester purchased them and shut them down! They feared the competition, and thought it was better to close their doors than keep making the Kennedy after they purchased them.
All Kennedy firearms, (both Whitney and Burgess) are rare, and even well worn brown guns will command big prices. The large frame rifle calibers will bring the bigger prices, and special order features will demand astronomical prices!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So, that begs the question - why hasn't any of the reproduction-makers ever made one of these? Think we can start a petition? :wink:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Probably because they ween't big sellers to start with. Cost of making them was not cheap, since they were somewhat complex, and extrremely well built. A repro would be great, but not inexpensive if it was authentic.
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

Be a great project to make a replica using modern materials and CNC machining. Maxwell's Lever Action Magazine Rifles book would be a start.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Not a Burgess-Kennedy, but a Whitney-Kennedy (though I am not sure of the exact differences). Funny looking, but strangely interesting! :wink:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

They were so, so good that nobody bought 'em :P . Actually, they were not that bad and very well made, but heavier than the Winchester or the Marlin, had longer throws than both, and more importantly almost twice as expensive as either. The small frame was heavier than the '86 LW and the large frame heavier than the '76.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i have a burgess 1878 45/70, the first commercially produced 45/70 lever gun; it has the serpentine finger lever and works quite well, though not quite as smooth as the 1881 marlin that followed it. [the top dust cover is a bit flimsy...too thin and almost binds when you work the lever]; i have a whitney kennedy 44/40 round barrel rifle and it is really smooth and solid. it too has the serpentine lever and mine is in superb condition. like the burgess, i have shot it, and it works quite well. it came out in 1873 or so, and had it come out a few years before the winchester 1873, it probably would have done well, despite the higher price tag. they are fascinating guns and burgess was a great designer, the colt-burgess on the other hand never seemed to work well. the forearms cracked routinely, and though i don't have one, every collector shooter that i have talked to says they dont function well at all.
cable
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

How true OTH! They were like so many extremely well made guns. Expensive. With the Winchesters selling so much cheaper, most people figured they wouldn't wear either out, so why pay more!
As for weight, the Kennedy wasn't any heavier than the 1881 Marlin, or the 1886 Win. in the large frame versions, but the pistol caliber guns sure were heavier than Marlins or Win.!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/