I did not buy the 66 today.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
James Riley
Levergunner

I did not buy the 66 today.

Post by James Riley »

Well, I didn’t do it. I went and looked at the Uberti 1866 Short Rifle, .45 Colt that my wife was going to buy me for Christmas. However, it had a blemish on the stock, some play in the lever (side to side), some pay in the elevator when closed, and the hammer spring seemed weak.

I have an 1866 carbine made in 1883 that’s been used and, other than the stock is dinged up, it is tight all around. I guess I just expect too much.

My wife gave me a "gift certificate" (i.e. clearance to buy yet another gun) so I’ll go to the gun show in Denver (29th/30th) and see if there are any more, some of which might be better. If you have one for sale, I'll be looking.

Alas, I think it just may be a condition of today’s assembly lines and lack of “hand-tuningâ€
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

James,

I haven't seen a row of lever guns to be cherry picked from since the 1970s. That was in a Woolco store in Phoenix, AZ.

All guns have tolerances, I'll bet the 1866 you looked at was on the max end of them. Too bad, but not surprising. Keep looking, you'll find one you like.

I figure that since the old forum is in the process of being shut down why post any more. Just make the move and be done with it. I'll check back over there off and on and post if it's needed, but I'm here now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

I don't think you expect too much, I wish stuff today was made as well as it used to be. Quality is something few companies have time for now. But I have to say that the Uberti '66 I have and some others I've seen are pretty nice. Good luck with the search, that has it's own fun...
Molon Labe
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I was looking at those just last night from Cimmeron. If I could find a good one, it might be my next levergun.

Thanks for posting your opinion of the rifle.

-Tutt
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

When you plunk down your hard-earned money, you expect the gun to be "right". I don't blame you for passing. I did the same a couple weeks ago at a gun show in Charlotte. An Uberti 1866 SRC in .45 Colt. It had been hanging on a wall, and was blemished on both the stock and barrel metal where it had been resting. For what the seller wanted, it just wasn't worth it to me...
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Big agreement here, no use buying until you find exactly what you want in the condidion that will make you a happy camper.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
James Riley
Levergunner

Post by James Riley »

Here's the post I intend to post on the Stoeger/Uberti forum if I can ever get my account activated. I know, it's kind of windy, but . . .

I’m looking at getting a Uberti 1866 Short Rifle. I have some questions.

1. If Uberti is the beginning of the pipeline, then everyone else is just an importer, correct? Is Stoeger just another importer, or are they a step above the others since they are part of a family of companies of which Uberti is one?

2. Why do I see options from other importers (Cimarron) that I don’t see on the Uberti/Soeger web site? For instance, 30â€
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm just not sure that the reproductions will have the nice, tight fitting parts the originals exibihit. My 1985 production Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle in .45 Colt has a little play in the lifter. It's not severe, nor does it interfer with the action. The hammer spring may have been the more problematic issue though. While the .45 Colt doesn't NEED a hard strike, the hammer is big and can be slow with a weak mainspring.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I have read that Cimarron requires that the fit and finish has to be held to a higher standard on the guns that Uberti makes for them. This may be pure internet/marketing B.S. for all I know BUT the 1873 rifle and the .45 Model P that I have from Cimarron are absolutely flawless. I've had both of them for 5 or 6 years and not a problem one with them.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If we don't demand quality, we won't get quality.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Well,I'll let you know shortly how Cimarron's Quality has held up. I stopped in the gun shop today and was thinking about this particular thread whilst thumbing through the newest Cimarron catalog and before I knew it I'd ordered another .45 Model P.

Man, I've got no will-power what so ever. :oops:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:If we don't demand quality, we won't get quality.
Part of the problem in our society today. Everything is considered disposable... :(
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

O.K. I picked up the new Model "P" today. Main difference in it and the one I've had for 5 or 6 years- (besides bbl.length) New one is pre-war style and has hard rubber grips but other than that the quality hasn't slipped in my opinion.
Both of them lock up tight and have excellent triggers, I do think the grips on the new one feel better than the walnut ones.

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Oh yeah,new "pre-war" style is at top.

Whoo-Hoo! I figgered out how to post pics! :o