New guy.... Old gun and new gun questions!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Preacher
Levergunner

New guy.... Old gun and new gun questions!

Post by Preacher »

Old gun question:
I have a 1964 manufactured Winchester Mod. 94 30-30 in 95+% condition (Serial 2768xxx). Haven't shot it a lot because there aren't many places to shoot rifle calibers around here and, to be honest, I am more of a handgun guy. It has sat in my safe for 15 years or so.

I know the pre-64 models bring a premium, but what is a 64 in this condition worth? Is it worth hanging on to as a collectors item or is it just a shooter I can have more fun with?

New gun question:

I really want a lever in .357 to complement my several .357 handguns. I don't want the new fangled tang or cross-bolt safety thingies, I want it with only the stuff that came on my Winchester above. I intend to work this hard and don't particularly care if it is pretty or not (fancy finishes etc). Considering making this a working rifle with a light, new sights etc.

What are my options? I know a lot of companies make them, but I wanted some real world experience opinions from lever gun guys.

Thanks in advance!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Preacher,

Welcome to the forum.

If you want an American made rifle you'll have to go back to pre 82 Marlin 1894s. The current Marlins have an unobtrusive cross bolt safety that's easily ignored or replaced, but it's there. It's also the only modification to them, otherwise they are the same as before.

Older Rossi Pumas are basically a copy of the old Win 92s. They have no extra safeties. The newer ones have a goofy switch safety on the bolt.

The Win 94s like yours were never made in .357 till after the rebounding hammers, and other changes were made.
The current Japanese made Win 92s have the rebounding hammer actions and tang safeties.

So your pretty much limited to older used guns or modifying a new one.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Preacher
Levergunner

Post by Preacher »

Thanks for the heads up, Joe.

I was afraid of that... I am guessing they all sell at a premium too!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I think a presafety Marlin 357 would be a good one for you. They are around if you look. I have had a few over the years but they all got away. They are accurate and light weight. They are also very cute and sexy.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Welcome, Preacher!

I agree with those above. A pre-safety Marlin will do you fine.
If you are feeling adventurous, you may consider getting a newer Winchester trapper and having a few things done to it. I gave seen the cross-bolt safeties removed and the bottom of a .30-30 case installed on either side; it looks great and effectively covers those pesky holes.

Ask around some more, I'm sure someone here will give you more info.

Welcome aboard! Now post a few pictures of that old levergun to whet our appetites!
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Welcome!

Seems that the safety on the new Marlins and Pumas can be removed and replaced with a piece that cleans things up well, so don't rule that out. Can't say about the newer Winchesters, I have seen them covered with tang sites. But if you look around I'm sure you can find an older pre-safety model.
Molon Labe
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

If you like the Winchester design and want to stay "mostly" loyal to JM Browning, you could try to find a used Browning B92. The users are in the $400 to $500 area, while the collectible NIBs will go north of $700. It is actually harder to find a shooter than it is to find a collector.

I'd put you Winchester 94 at around $400 plus/minus. While not a pre-64, it IS a pre-angle eject, pre-safety, New Haven/USA Winchester and will likely increase steadily forever. There will never be any more of those.

Good luck!!
Chad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Joe,
Post 1982 Marlins are also American made, so no need to buy pre 1982 to get them made here! Marlin levers have always been made in the good old USA!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome to The New Forum. JMiller has given you the straight scoop on yer desire for a .357 lever.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Preacher
Levergunner

Post by Preacher »

Scott64A wrote:Welcome, Preacher!

I agree with those above. A pre-safety Marlin will do you fine.
If you are feeling adventurous, you may consider getting a newer Winchester trapper and having a few things done to it. I gave seen the cross-bolt safeties removed and the bottom of a .30-30 case installed on either side; it looks great and effectively covers those pesky holes.

Ask around some more, I'm sure someone here will give you more info.

Welcome aboard! Now post a few pictures of that old levergun to whet our appetites!
Sure... here is my 94. I paid $180 for it about 15 year ago.

There are a couple of small imperfections.

Small mark just below the front of the loading gate, not a scratch, really, there is no depth to it. I think something rubbed up against it.

Shallow crease in the wood here and a small spot on top of the barrel.

Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

That gun is in great shape...

I'd suggest relaoding for it, and USE it!

You'll get a good feeling wandering the woods for deer with that gun.
One can't help it.