Gunsmitihing question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Gunsmitihing question

Post by AndyM »

In your area - what is the average going rate to have a gunsmith cut a rifle barrel down and re-crown it?

thanks...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Gunsmitihing question

Post by Pisgah »

It's been so long since I had someone else do it that I couldn't guess. I found out long ago that it is a dead-simple task that can be done quite professionally with hand tools as long as you take your time.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

We've done several in the past year and none were over $100.00. It depends on the rifle and what it takes to dis/re-assemble to do the work. It, as Pisgah said is NOT a difficult job. You could hacksaw it off and file it smooth and true and then have a gunsmith hand crown the muzzle ... that wouldn't be more than 20 bucks.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

After you hacksaw the bbl. back and flat file it there's a tool you can buy for a small nominal fee that you use by hand or hand drill to give it a nice crown. I don't remember where I saw it, possibly Brownell's.
Old Law Dawg
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog