Chuirch shooting-for Jim

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mark Wilson
Levergunner

Chuirch shooting-for Jim

Post by Mark Wilson »

Mark Wilson

Roswell, New Mexico Land of Enchantment
Wake up and smell the coffee.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thanks.

She was trained by a friend of mine as I have said. She hit him with every shot. Her weapon is a Beretta 92F.

She is a genuine Hero!
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

What a great account by the Viet Nam vet. I would like to meet that lady - she sounds like one to ride the river with. Mind set, mind set, mind set...
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Training and mindset, you're right. And just because I'll throw in lucky too.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:D :D :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

church carry

Post by rjohns94 »

Incidents such as this continue to reinforce the need for sheepdogs to be posted at all times, in malls, in business, in church. God bless to all who serve others in this manner. The lady is a true hero. She was trained, and had the mindset to carry her training out which resulted in saved lives.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Accounts I have heard stated that she was a volunteer, not a security guard. She was not in the employ of the church, rather a concerned citizen volunteer. Good for her!

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

The news report I heard made sure to say she had been a police officer.I say this because it seems to me that the media and a suprising number of people think you have to have some kind of tactical training in order to save a life or handle a gun.In other words ,in their opinon,the only thing that seperated her from the killer( in terms of right from wrong ) is the training she had as a police officer.Had she not been an ex police officer or the security guard (volunteer or not),her story might have been swept under the rug.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

They would have certainly swept it under the rug - concerned, stable, armed citizen defending themselves and others simply doesn't fit the MSM's template - or desires. :evil:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Makes one wonder if the other two security guards had the proper training. Irrevelant.....she did a great job and also makes one wonder what might have been if she was not there. This should quite those against CCW, security guards were not armed in Colorado prior to the CCW law passing.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Two guards were there before her!? Maybe an evaluation is in order and/or proper training.

Good for Mrs. Assam and Mr. Bourbonnais for their courage.
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

What is proper training? If someone is coming at me with a gun I do not need training to tell me it's fight or flight.No one is responsible for my saftey but me and no one is more qualified to defend me than me . It's impossible to show emotion on these forums ,so take my word I'm not jumping up and down pulling my hair and I'm not trying to be a smart a**.I am just trying to figure out why when something like this happens it has to be credited to the training and not the person.Yes training does help and I could probably use some myself,but there are people out there that need no training and people that no amount of training will help.I guess what I'm trying to say is thank GOD she was there and sometimes luck is better than skill. :wink:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

[quote="Rebel1972"]What is proper training? quote]

Proper Training is a matter of learning the proper responses in certain situations and then practicing them over and over and over until they become almost instinctive.

I am sure you can shoot and handle your firearm. However, if you have never shot with people (trainers, coaches, good friends .. whatever you want to call them) who will honestly evaluate your actions, you just might be doing something that is not helpful.

For instance, if you are a reloader and always empty your brass into your hand when unloading the gun, you will do that without even thinking about it in a high-stress situation. Especially if you don't practice dumping your empties on the ground. This has happened more than people often realize.

Or .. if you use and autoloader .. and you habitually pull the magazine out so you can reload it instead of dumping it onto the ground.. you will do that at the wrong time.

That's just two of many many things that we as shooters and reloaders do that can get us or other people killed.

Do people without "training" use their firearms in self defense? Yes. Every day. And thankfully the majority of them come out on top.

But if you have never been trained how to properly shoot in a crowded mall or room, and you have a bad guy coming at you with friends and innocent folk all around you, behind the bad guy etc. you might just hesitate before you take the shot, not wanting to hit an innocent person.

That very thing caused a man to put his gun back in its holster not too long ago. He didn't think he could take the shot and it got him shot. If he had been trained he would have known how to take a shot like that without overly endangering innocents.

So .. is training necessarly? I think so. I highly recommned it for everyone who carries.

I understand not everyone can afford to go to "camp" for a week to get training. But there are books and videos available.

AND .. the simple thing of study and then shooting with someone who will honestly evaluate your performance ... IS EXTREMELY HELPFUL!! Link up with a someone .. or several people ... with the same ideas and work on each other.

It cannot hurt and may just help a lot.
Oz n bolivia
Levergunner

Post by Oz n bolivia »

Seems to me the HOLY SPIRIT was doing more than keeping her focused. This shooter had hit others and was shooting at her. Yeh! maybe her shooting was breaking his concentration, but maybe another shield was there.

Oz
Remaining a curious student throughout life renders one’s life interesting and progressive.
Robert Smyth
He stated that the way I feel.
Knowledge is all we do, see, touch, hear, read. What we do with that knowledge shows our wisdom.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oz - the press over here is already starting to rumble about her thanking the Holy Spirit for help in this. Just watch, they are going to start digging into her past trying to come up with anything they can throw against her. Heaven forbid (pun intended) a good-looking, God-fearing woman uses a gun to end such a potential massacre! This, to the liberals and the MSM (one in the same) simply can not be allowed to stand! :evil: