HUNT FOR A DESERVING PERSON - coming to a close -INFO- LONG

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

HUNT FOR A DESERVING PERSON - coming to a close -INFO- LONG

Post by 86er »

For everyone's information - here's how this worked:

First, I randomly selected 3 judges from the list of Leverguns forum members and e-mailed them. They each agreed to participate.

Second, I received the nominations via e-mail. As I received them I removed any identifying information and all names. Some specific that I removed were State of residence, employment and any names or references to identity.

Third, I forwarded the editted submission to all 3 Judges. Every correspondence between the 3 Judges and I were communicated in one e-mail copied to everyone.

I did not comment or participate in the selection criteria, selection process or exchange of thoughts and ideas between the Judges. Once, I asked the Judges to look at the original post and either abide by the rules or agree to any changes that should be made to the way I originally posted that this would go prior to their selection.

If you sent an e-mail even hinting about this hunt offer, I forwarded it to the Judges. I am going to share with everyone the submissions, as the Judges received them in the editted format. If you feel your submission was not properly represented because I redacted too much information, let us know now. PLEASE - refrain from any comments about the submissions or speculation about who the candidates may be. Some of the submissions have enough information that many of you will make assumptions about who they refer to. You may or may not be correct, just please keep it to yourself.

We will announce a winner later this evening or tomorrow. I want anyone who would like to comment to be able to do so before the selection is finalized. At that time, I will reveal the Judges.

A very special personal THANK YOU to everyone who sent a contribution to make this possible. A testimony to the quality of our members, everyone wants to remain an anonymous contributor instead of letting us know who they are and taking credit for it. RKrodle made it public that he contributed round trip airfare - so I want to recognize him for it. We will be able to make this happen with what we received but we were hoping to make it a little more inclusive - SO - if you still want to contribute, send it to me at your earliest convenience.

Here are the submissions:

I would like to have this trip. I have never been on any hunting trips; I only hunt locally and then it's only for deer.

My line of work isn't really conducive to making enough to actually afford trips aside from car trips to see family in FL. My wife is an assistant at a locally owned hotel, and I am an XXXXX. We have just enough to get by while raising a 3-yr old and paying daycare. I'm certainly not UN-blessed by any means, I just don't get the chance to do these kinds of things. I am in school right now to advance to XXXXX, and have no time for the overtime hours. My birthday is in February, (13th,) and we should be having a short break from school that month. Heck, if there is someone who is dying or something, let them enjoy that kind of experience before retiring to the Happy Hunting Grounds instead of me. Frankly, I feel a little odd asking, like I don't really deserve such a treat if there are more needy folks around. I work hard on an XXXXX and need opportunities to unwind whenever I can get them. Plus, I could DRIVE to TX.

(Submitted on behalf of another deserving individual.) The person I am referring has endured a tough year. He is slightly disabled due to a work related injury. Instead of a glamorous retirement this guys employer basically turned him loose with little or nothing to show for all his years of service. This resulted in a financial hardship that caused them to move from one place to another and sacrifice some assets as well as forego any family trips. Now this fellow was having a tough time as it was when his family suffered through some serious illnesses and deaths. While dealing with all this he is trying to raise two kids the right way, give his spouse some freedom and enjoyment and save money for college tuitions for the kids. He is a levergun enthusiast and has had to part with some while coincidentally accumulating others. However, he did not spend any money on the accumulated items, as I don’t think there was any spare change. This guy will help a friend in need even on his last dime, he is as honest as the day is long and he is an example of what a good citizen should be. I know he cannot afford a trip or the cost of a hunt but he could certainly use the camaraderie and he could use a break. I recommend him for consideration for this hunt.

would love to put my name in but even if I was picked I wouldn’t be able to haul the meat home on my motorcycle (Wife doesn’t think it to safe to ride to Tx with a cooler strapped to the back of the bike along with baggage and firearms). The only other vehicle we have is my wife’s car and I couldn’t leave her and the kids stuck with out wheels. I have been following your other hunts with much interest And would love to make it out and hunt with you all but being XXXXX doesn’t pay enough to hunt any were other than nearby much less drive to TX to hang out with you folks. I was hoping that another member here in the area would be joining you and I could try and catch a ride but so far none of them have signed up and I probably would not have been much help with gas if I still wanted to have money to hunt on.

I would love to hunt with you all and gain some much needed skills from knowledgeable folk (wife says I am the worst hunter she ever met).

Well that’s enough B@#$%ing for me just wanted to say I think you are doing great things and one of these days I will find a way to come out and go hunt with y'all.

I would like to nominate my father for the mentioned hunting trip. Aside from being a tremendous influence in my life and others he is the one that introduced me to the outdoors.

Four years ago my father lost my mother Susan to ovarian cancer after a 3 year battle. My mother was my fathers life and at times it seems as though part of him died with her. He is very social person and has my sisters, myself and 9 wonderful grandkids that love and cherish him.

One thing that he always looks forward to is our annual deer hunting trips in November which is shared with my uncle and one of my best friends.

My Dad has always been very responsible in taking care of our family. He doesn’t own any firearms but a shotgun for deer hunting in our shotgun only area. He longs after a rifle, but he won’t buy one for the sake of having it since he wouldn’t be able to use it near home. He would be absolutely ecstatic to use a rifle for a hunt and he would be forever indebted to whoever would let him borrow their coveted rifle. On the other hand, he would be equally as thrilled to see, handle and talk about the rifles with the other people in camp. He would not feel inferior using his old shotgun within its limitations.

Dad has a back problem that has plagued him for years. He is a bit heavy, but he watches his weight as best he can to stay healthy. These two factors combined make his overall mobility and ability to climb a tree or walk for hours very limited. It also limits his ability to take advantage of some of the best methods of taking game. Nonetheless, he has never complained and rates a successful hunt as any one where we all got out together as family and friends, regardless of whether any animals were taken.
I shot the buck of a life time two years ago but a true trophy wall hanger has eluded my father so far. I would like to give him this present... The hunt of a life time in Texas or somewhere else. I can just see the huge smile on his face posing with any type of true trophy animal that he just harvested. The trip alone would be his actual trophy, with even an antlerless animal being his prize. Picture, video and memories to last a life time. Thank you for your consideration and you will not be disappointed if he is chosen. Thank you,

The person I would like to see make this hunting trip is my friend. He is in his 40's, married with several (?) children. He is able to work part time only - at Wal-Mart. He receives disability for a back injury and related surgery, which was not totally successful. He is also diabetic and on insulin. This also presents some health problems for him at times.

He does sometimes hunt deer here in Indiana. He also does some other hunting from time to time. He is a firearm lover and and owns a few different firearms. He also enjoys fishing and, like all fishermen, wishes he had more time to fish.

I have known him for 3 or 4 years. He has been a good and loyal friend. From our shared interest in firearms, we have spent many hours in conversation about different makes, models, and calibers: you know, the never ending discussion.

We both use muzzle-loaders, but he is more into black powder than I am.
We are each Ruger fans, but I own more Rugers than he does.
We each like the .44 Magnum and have a favorite .44.
We each like single shot rifles and carbines.
He likes DA revolvers, I like SA. Guess he ain't perfect! He likes and shoots a Super Redhawk while I like and would rather shoot Super Blackhawks.

When the Hog Hunt came up we both wanted to go, but it was not possible for either of us. Space was gone before either of us could make arrangements to possibly go.

We have talked about possibly going hog hunting on our own, but that would be a long way in the future - if at all. It would be extremely difficult for him to get the money together and at this time it would be difficult for me to help him much financially.

He does not know I am putting forth this effort for him. I hope he is chosen and this is a great surprise for him. All he knows is I have talked to him about possibly going hunting this winter, next year. I hope he makes it!

First nomination is a guy a know from the forum Just a few months back suffered a great loss the death of his only son. He suffered a lot and I feel he deserves this hunt to help him take his mind off his loss, to be in the company of fellow levergunner friends creating more positive memories.

Second nomination would go to another forum member. He has always been such a positive contribution to the forum, he has recently gone thru an ugly divorce, and personally he has been such a good friend and strong support for he during my own times of grief. He is always positive and I think it would be great for him to meet and hunt with his levergunning brothers.

I'd like to nominate a girl I work with named XXX. She had a rough start in life growing up with a drug-addicted mom and a rough divorce. Somehow, she has managed to get past all that and is a bang-up employee and still has great faith in God.

She is REALLY interested in hunting, and is looking at starting a hunter's safety course after the holidays. (I don't know if you need a cert to hunt in TX,)

I believe that by having her go, you would be passing on some of what we take for granted. My dad took me hunting, and showed me the ropes as I'm sure some of your relatives did for you.
She never had that, and we would be doing the hunting sports some good if we could introduce a very excitable young lady to it. She loves deer meat, and would probably want a couple of does to take home.
I would say her hardship is not having been shown how to shoot and hunt, and I see a great opportunity to teach a ready pupil.

Hi. I'm the wife of Leverguns.com member. Another member (and friend) asked me to write and send in an application for my husband and myself. (I will explain why I'm including myself later in this application.)
My husband loves his guns and loves to shoot them (especially, his lever action rifles). However, he only shoots targets. He has never been on a hunt. Mainly because we cannot afford it......and I do not only mean financially. But also because of me. You see, I am disabled, and he is my primary caregiver. He'd jump at the chance to go, but feels his responsibility to me is more important (even if he could afford to go.) [That is why I included myself.].

Going on his own is not an option. He has no hunting experience, and wouldn't go if I couldn't be a part. An opportunity to go on a hunt with experienced hunters and some of his levergun friends would be a dream come true for him (and me).

Some women are football widows. I am a levergun widow. It is hard for me to say why he deserves this trip. But after careful thought, I think it's because he deserves to do something that is totally for himself. We have been married for over 16 years. It is especially within the last two years (post Katrina and without a permanent home), that I have seen his commitment to me. This would be for him (and from his friends).

Dear members: I am a recent Leverguns Forum Member and would like to make a submission on behalf of my father.

My father was married to my mother for over 30 years and was an absolute devoted husband and father to my sisters and I. In July 2003 my mother passed away from a 31/2 year battle with ovarian cancer. My father was devastated as he had never left her side during the duration of her illness and. Two months after her passing the company that my father had been working for as a Sales Rep/Sales Manager informed him they were closing and filing bankruptcy while still owing my father roughly $50,000 from previous sales that he never collected on.

Sometime during December of 2003 he was driving home from my sister house and while stopped at a red light was rear ended by a drunk driver doing 50 mph. His vehicle was totaled and he suffered permanent upper back and neck injuries which he still suffers from.

During the last four years he has remained the person he is always willing to help those out in need at the drop of a hat although many would agree he has not been the same since my mother passed away.

My father is the one who introduced me to hunting and we still take part in our yearly deer hunting/outing with a good friend and my uncle although he can no longer bow hunt because of the accident. This is one of things that he truly loves and I love to see the excitement on his face when we are getting ready to go. This possible hunt is something that he would never have the chance of doing normally and the memories would be unbelievable for him.

I’m sure you will get many very good submissions however I don’t know if any would truly be as excited if they won as my father would. I could never repay my father for all that he has provided for me and my family. He is the one that introduced me to the outdoors which is something that we have always been able to share. Thank you for your time

I’m sending in my own nomination for the up coming Levergun safari. I kind feel weird about placing myself and I’m sure there is someone out there probably in worse shape then me.

This season was suppose to be my best season ever. I had joined a club in Illinois and was fortunate enough to have a month off of work from my job as a XXXXX with the XXXXXX I have worked with for nearly fourteen years.

I also was looking forward to hunting in Georgia with my dream rifle. For over twenty years I had been looking for a Winchester 71. Earlier this year I finally got one. Early November I traveled to Illinois looking forward to bow hunting the pre rut. My second day there one of my hunting buddies had already scored on a nice nine point. He decided he was going home and asked me to help him take down his ladder stand. He climbed to the top and unratched the turn buckle. When he did the stand jumped off of the tree. I was standing at the base pushing the stand back against the tree. The force of his 250lb body on top of a sixteen foot stand was more then my Achilles tendon could handle. I felt a sudden "pop" and felt I had been shot. Down I went and down he came. He ended up with not a scratch due to falling in freshly plowed cornfield. I ended up with a 100% Achilles tear in my right ankle, an untold amount of medical bills after my insurance claims their portion, surgery and four to six months of down time. Needless to say my season did not turn out to be "the best".

As I stated I’m sure there is someone in worse shape and probably deserves this hunt more then myself but thank you for the opportunity.

Hello. I don't know if I am doing this right but here it goes. I would very much love to go on the hunt. I am disabled. I am able to walk with a cane but not real far. I have bad knees and a bad lower back. I also have diabetes and high blood pressure. Everything is controlled by medication in tablet form. I am a disabled veteran but was not injured in combat. I also lost my job after I had been hurt several times from falling. My wife, grand daughter and I are living on my military disability and my social security disability. My wife and I are raising our granddaughter so it does put an extra strain on our income. I wouldn't change that situation at all. She is 6 years old and is telling me she is going turkey hunting with me this yr. I have always wanted to go somewhere and hunt overseas or even Alaska but now I won’t ever be able to it. This would be an excellent opportunity for me to do it.

Truthfully ...I would only be interested in hunting a couple animals but I am not sure what they would be. I don't know what will be offered to hunt. I am really interested in meeting and sharing in the experience with the people from the forum. This would be a once in a lifetime experience and something I could share (brag, show pictures and tell tales) with my family for years to come. I love reading of the other members hunting trips and I have posted a couple pictures of my guns. I also posted a picture of my deer hunt this year. If I am picked I would do everything I could to be a positive factor in the hunt and not be a burden on the others. Thank you for considering me

The person I am nominating is very worthy of receiving a hunt. He used to have a less than ideal lifestyle in his youth. He did not start shooting or hunting until he was in his early 30’s. A serious accident where his commercial truck went off a bridge left him handicapped. It also caused him to gain over 150 pounds. By hunting around a little here and there he has been able to get a little exercise and keep himself in good spirits. Without hunting, he would have nothing to look forward to as all his ability to engage in his other hobbies and goals were eliminated by his handicap and weight. Since hunting has been good to him, including making new friends which is not an easy thing to do when you’re huge and handicapped, he has given back to hunting by becoming a hunter safety instructor and volunteering to teach. He has also passed on shooting interests to his two children and wife although they do not hunt. He is thankful to have survived his accident and decided to give back to the Lord by becoming a preacher. He had conducted a few weddings and provides intervention on a voluntary basis for anyone in trouble, pointing them toward religion and salvation. Now this person has been hunting here and there, I’m not saying he hasn’t gone at all. He can participate in hunting where he doesn’t need to walk too far and can sit and wait for big or small game. His dream has always been to hunt out of state and to shoot either a boar or a large trophy animal that he knows he just cannot get near home with his limited ability. He often crunches the numbers to see if his disability income can fund a hunt, but he never goes through with it because he is saving his money for what we feel is going to be life-saving lap band surgery to help him loose weight. If he looses the weight, there is a chance he can also rehabilitate his legs and get around much better. If everything works out he may be able to hunt sometime in the distant future, but right now I am presenting to you someone who gives back to hunting and his community and someone who would love the chance to pursue his hunting dreams. Thank you for the consideration.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Some great nominations there. Wish they could all go.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Joe, I've got to say one of these days your wings are going to start showing. Good on you.

I would hate to be a judge. Too many deserving people and I'd be losing sleep.
Old Law Dawg
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

My hat is off to the judges who have to choose from such deserving people.

Ricky
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Thank you, Joe, the judges, and everyone who has helped make this happen.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Joe-
Again, great of you to do this. These all look like deserving candidates and I sure don't envy the judges their job.
Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Shoot, man - I'm glad I didn't kick my name in the hat now! Of course, I'm sure we all would have loved to go, but I can see I was way outclassed with people who deserve it more. We've had a rough year financially, but it was by choice to follow God's lead and to expect to do so without some sacrifice is not realistic.

Long story short, best of luck to the judges. You have a tough job!

Thanks again to all who made this possible. You guys (and gals) are a class act!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The Judges are:

Tycer
Wcf3030
Ysabel Kid
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Three of the finest kind of people. I wish you gentlemen well in your difficult decision among so many worthy choices...all deserving.

A Blessed Christmas to you and all the candidates.

Bruce
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

hunt

Post by rjohns94 »

blessings to all. The decision is in excellent hands.
45-70
Levergunner

Post by 45-70 »

After reading some of the nominations I wish I had the means and could make sure they all go...don't envy the judges.
"I came into the world to do the will of my Father, because my Father sent me..." Jesus Christ.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

In case some haven't gone back over to the "old" forum, the winner was chosen last night. It was # 2. 86er than revealed that this was Ganjiro!

It was a difficult decision - glad it was anonymous. What a great bunch of folks on this forum!!! Nominators, nominees, other judges, sponsors and 86er - we are truly blessed!!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sure as the world as soon as I say this I'm going to be proven wrong, hanging around this forum, but, I don't think this could of turned out better. Congratulations Ganjiro! Thanks Joe. :D :D :D
Old Law Dawg
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Excellent choice guys!
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

86"ers hunt

Post by JerryB »

What wonderful news to hear.I know all that were nominated were deserving and am real proud to hear Ganjiro will recieve the hunt.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15