Opinions on Ruger's 96/22M

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Opinions on Ruger's 96/22M

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Been thinking about picking up a 22 Magnum lever for short range coyotes and foxes, and have been offered a Ruger 96/22M. I'm not really familiar with them (other that they're basically a 10/22 with a lever :D ) so I'm just wondering - for those of you that own one, what's the "good, bad, and ugly" on them?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Opinions on Ruger's 96/22M

Post by Old Ironsights »

I like mine (the LR version). It will never be a "tight" gun but it's a heck of a field gun.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Killer Kanuck,
Nice little rifle. Works great for small varmints. My Ruger works best with light bullets as Remington Premier and CCI TNT.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like my LR version - handy, smooth, accurate, and to those who say it "looks funny" I just say look at the venerable Savage 99 - everything doesn't HAVE to look like a Winchester!

If I ever get a .22 Mag (and if Obama gets elected I doubt there's any point in buying something only to have it outlawed :evil: ), it would be the 96/22M
Ravenman wrote: Image
Pretty soon, you'll have to draw rings on your target patches so you can see where the bullseye was...! :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I like the rifle, but don't particularly care for the non-walnut (Birch, IIRC) stock.

If you can live with it, it's an accurate rifle - and there's a fella named gatewood, over on RimfireCentral, who makes a nice walnut stock for them.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Get it; they are great guns, accurate and reliable.Plus they will outlast your kids.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I have owned two of the Ruger lever rifles. One was a 22 magnum, and one was a 44 magnum.

The rifles functioned well. And I really liked the idea of the magazine. However the accuracy was bad(really bad). So it did not take me long to get rid of them. Tom.
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

I bought an early one when they first came out for plinking & as a starter rifle for my son. It had a very hard trigger pull. Accuracy was mediocre with all but Winchester Supreme (most expensive) ammo. It didn't take long to trade it in. If you can, dry fire before you buy. Mine may have been one of the occasional bad apples.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I don't have a 22 Magnum, but both my 96/22LR and 96/44 are reliable and accurate. The 22LR is scary accurate. I'd like to find a 96 in 22 Magnum, but I think I'll insist on a test fire after reading this thread.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My 96/22 is as accurate as any other . THe trigger is extremely heavy. But is easily fixed by cutting down and streching or replacing the trigger return spring. Which is the small spring which can be seen behind the trigger. I went from an 8lb trigger to under 4lbs. That spring gives so much resistance before the sear is even in play. Thank the lawyers.