Local Gunshow Prices

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Local Gunshow Prices

Post by Hobie »

I won't go into details but I saw an all silver, ie no finish, .38-56 1886 Winchester asking $5500, several NIB commeratives asking $1100+, a Crazy Horse sans box asking $999, and rode-hard-put-up-wet CB safety Winchester 94s asking $400+. The closest thing to bargains at this show were in new handguns. One guy had $250 on a H&R Topper! :shock:

However, I did see very neat Savage 99 .300/.410 in green velvet lined case! I did not even bother to look at the price... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I went to the Crossroads show in Denver last weekend, very dissapointed with the prices....none I could afford! :shock: Actually there were only a couple that I thought were in the ball park, most were quite high. One ruger #1 in 38-55 for $1995.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

At least you left with all your money still in your pocket. Those are the kind of prices I usually find at our local shows. I can't remember the last time I bought anything at a gun show.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I went to the C&E Gun Show in Charlotte this weekend. Saw a few leverguns, but not many. I've been dreaming about a Winchester 92 in .25-20, and there was a nice original one at the show. Manufactured around 1940, about 30% of the blueing was left. It was pretty, but the seller wanted $3500 for it (oh, it was an original SRC)! :shock:

Needless to say, I didn't have that kind of coin to spend!!!

Saw another interesting one - an Uberti 1866 reproduction in .45 Colt. Wanted $700 for it, and it was darn near perfect except for two blemishes on the barrel where it had been hung on the wall. I have one in .38 Special, and was thinking about giving that to Boy Wonder and buying the .45 for myself, but again, too close to Christmas to be spending a lot of money!

All I ended up coming away with was some .45-70 brass and a can of IMR 3031 powder...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You'd a liked the .25-20 M92 rifle that was there. The whole right side of the stock, on another 5% finish gun, had been carved into a scene of a muzzleloading squirrel hunter. :shock: Price, $2700 IIRC... :roll: I know those dealers/sellers get upset when I laugh out loud but I just can't help it. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like one that just went for about $700 on GunBroker.com. Someone had done a number on the stock - carving (I guess that's what you'd call it) a deer hunting scene. It was rough!

I've been drooling over one there but it has been refinished. Still, for a shooter this might be the way to go! :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Then restock it.

I noticed all the guns had to be locked up with cable ties, then the seller claimed it had a good bore but you couldn't look 'cause of show rules! Neat scam.

Now a guy I know was there with the prettiest trapdoor, color case and all was gorgeous and only $3300. It was BEAUTIFUL inside too. (He cut the darn cable tie for me and gave me a flashlight to check the bore) If I had $3300 I'd a bought it this morning and shot it this afternoon... I'm just terrible. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jdad and I went to the local gun show here, and I really saw nothing of interest or affordability, beyond the Winchester 1890 he found. I did pick up a very old box of Rem-UMC ammo in .30 Rem. for $5.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

No ammo and the 1890s, crappy guns, were asking no less than $1000! That was where I first laughed out loud.
Last edited by Hobie on Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Don't panic, fellers. These gold digging sellers and their out of the atmosphere prices will soon come to a reckoning. No sales for months on end hopefully will take the wind out of their collective sails and maybe bring them back to reality.

There is absolutely NO darned WAY that a no finish 1886 should ever bring 1500, let alone 5500. I would have laughed in the fool's face myself, Hobie.

This .38-56, with a little finish, but an excellent bore, set me back all of $700, in April of last year. There are some guns still out there that are priced on a real level, not one of fantasy.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

We have the same rule on cable ties. The seller of the '92 claimed it was a "smooth as silk" action. Couldn't try it though!

The metal on the gun on Gunbroker has been reblued, but the stock looks original. Just too close to Christmas... :cry:

I did price out some .25-20 WCF rounds (I'll reload when I eventually pick one up, but I like to compare). Only one dealer in the whole place had any - and they were $45/box. This typical?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think so. $45 for a box of 50 .25-20 is very close to what the local gun stores are selling them for.
Sincerely,

Hobie

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Mike D. wrote:
This .38-56, with a little finish, but an excellent bore, set me back all of $700, in April of last year. There are some guns still out there that are priced on a real level, not one of fantasy.
I bet it wasn't at a gun show Mike! :wink:
Heck, I don't think some of the dealers care if they sell them! I've seen some of them at local shows for 2-3 years! Some day the market might actually catch up to their over inflated price tags!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

One of the problems is most of these gunshow dealers look up their guns on the internet sales sites, Gunbroker etc, then price their guns accordingly. " Hey buddy, that's a great price, same as Gunbroker and you dont have to pay the shipping!" The internet dealers are so over the top on their prices they are just ridiculous.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I had similar problems at the gun show I went to this summer.

Hardly any levers.Lots of over priced Browning, Weatherby, Ruger, Remington, and others bolt-action dribble. :roll: I hate that stuff. :evil:

They had one bargain, it was the Browning version of the 9422( I'm not familiar with the model name) that was like new. The tag said $350 and I would have let it go at that if I had had $350. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

There are still some decent prices on stuff at the shows around here, particularly the local show.

Even the big Winchester collectors shows have some deals. You can still find most common 94 Commemoratives for around $600 or so, depending on exact type.

This last show a week ago I found a NIB 2nd gen Colt 3rd Dragoon for $400. I'm selling the Uberti Dragoon to help pay for the Colt.

Of course I'm going to shoot it.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Malamute,

Don't they have a big show or something there in Cody towards the end of June? I remember lots of folks standing outside the shops over there on Beck (?) Avenue.
Sincerely,

Hobie

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The 1890 was actually a "fairly" good deal. 3rd Model (1916), 22short, with a special order Winchester #21 front sight, that a bubba D&T'd an extra hole for fairly rare "MARLIN" Marbles Simplex tang sight! :shock: I have a Marlin 37 pump rifle that it will go on, but I need to find the correct tang sight to cover the extra hole.

I got home and tried to shoot 22shorts through it. That same bubba changed the carrier to a 22LR and reamed out the chamber! :evil: I found a 22Short carrier and the seller is giving me credit for the one I have, so it's not a big deal.

MM93 and I did see some real outrageous prices for refinished rifles being sold as original.

1886's that are good for parts guns were no less than $1500.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

There's 2 Winchester collectible shows in June. One is at the rec center, and one is at the High School Gym. :shock:

They are usually one week apart.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If I could get real money together :wink: would it be worthwhile to be in Cody for that?
Sincerely,

Hobie

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

There's 2 Winchester collectible shows in June. One is at the rec center, and one is at the High School Gym. :shock:

They are usually one week apart. Try the Cody chamber of commerce web site for dates.

Just thought of something. Have met Mike Hunter (regularly)at one the Winchester shows. Maybe we need a "leverguns.com" lapel pin or something. I'll bet I've walked right by other forum members at the shows. Would be fun to meet guys at the shows.

Hmm,....my post seems to be stuck. Will try this again.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Maybe a hat? We've talked about that. Would be pretty easy to do if Paco would let us use his logo...
Sincerely,

Hobie

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I like the hat idea.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The Big Reno show used to have several dealers there that had had their stuff so long they just added layers of price tags over each other. As the saying goes " if you don't sell it (because it's overpriced) just raise the price for the next show."
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Went to the local show at the fairground near daytona...
Same stuff....way over priced...even the repro stuff was
overpriced...
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The prices at Cody are overall the same or higher than at most other shows. You are able to examine nice, original guns at Cody, though.

It appears to me that the introduction of internet sales was what caused the sudden, spectacular rise in Winchester "values". Some of these overinflated "reserves" on auction sites astound me. Many of those guns wouldn't pass muster as a shooter, let alone collector status.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Hobie wrote:Maybe a hat? We've talked about that. Would be pretty easy to do if Paco would let us use his logo...
I'll buy two.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

pharmseller wrote:
Hobie wrote:Maybe a hat? We've talked about that. Would be pretty easy to do if Paco would let us use his logo...
I'll buy two.
Quinn
Ditto
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Hat idea sounds great.

As for gun show prices, I don't think the deals are there anymore. & of course there is the ol' saw: A Fool & his money are soon parted. Some Fool lets "buyer's anxiety" overcome common sense.

Now once in awhile, you may find a sleeper, but w/ the blue books & internet access, any seller or dealer can find out what a firearm is worth.

Of course the big problem is that some folks have no idea (or don't want to realize it) that condition & originality is everything. They think that grandpa's old shot out, cut down, no blue left, rusted, & broken stocked 18892 Winchester is worth the same money as the 90%/ NRA fine grade that they saw on the 'net.

But the best one I saw @ a local show was a young man trying to sell his grandfather's 1903A3 Springfield to a dealer. The dealer didn't offer him that much. The young man kept saying that it was worth way more money because he saw the value on the 'net & his grandfather said it was his WW II rifle. He just did not want to hear that Golden State Arms did not make rifles for the US Gov't. during WW II.

When visiting the gun shows, I have a small bag that contains a small inspection mirror, bright flashlight, loupe, cable ties, note book, patches, etc. It sure has come in handy @ times....
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[When visiting the gun shows, I have a small bag that contains a small inspection mirror, bright flashlight, loupe, cable ties, note book, patches, etc.]

I guess I travel light - I've gotten by for the last forty years or so , with only my B.S. meter, and have done pretty well.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Man... that's why it's called a gun show and not a gun sale! 8) :wink:
Slow is just slow.