Took the minister to the range today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Took the minister to the range today

Post by KirkD »

The pastor of our church wanted to get together with me for coffee sometime, so I suggested going to the range, and then having coffee afterward. He really liked that idea. When he got there, he told me he'd only shot a gun once, 30 years ago when he was a kid. I started him off with my old Winchester Model 1892 .32-20. Once he was doing decent with that, I hauled out my old '86 .45-70 extra light. I told him that the only way to shoot this rifle was standing up offhand. To demonstrate, I fired 3 rounds at Ranch Dog's Postal Match V target at 50 yards. We went to check it and found that all three formed a 1 and 1/4" group clustered inside the white bullseye. Man I like it when that happens! I would have saved it to send in, but it already had several .32-20 holes in it. He then put three rounds through the .45-70 and noticed the difference from the .32-20 (heh, heh). He had a hoot. Then we moved to pistol shooting. First, he shot my Springfield Armory 1911. He said it was a real rush. Then we wound up with my old S&W New Model #3 .44 Russian made in 1880. He had a blast and said that it opened up a "whole new world" for him. I had a great time just seeing someone get so excited about shooting. He even took a target home to show his kids the bullet holes. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That's a great idea Kirk! I'll have to ask my pastor if he's interested in putting a few rounds downrange!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good deal Kirk. It becomes hard for a person to rail against gun ownership when they find that there can be a simple pleasure from the striving to do something well. And once they recognize that it's a challenge to make improvements in doing so, they usually end up supporting the right to do so.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Way to go, KirkD. Now have your pastor drop by http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us so he can see that he's not the only minister in the world who enjoys firearms.

By the way, what does it take to obtain a handgun in Canada? I just jumped through a bunch of hoops to renew my license on my PPPPPP. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the renewal next week.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Hey, Kirk, did you ever consider that maybe your pastor only agreed to come to the range in an attempt to turn you from your heathen ways??? :D Seriously, like Grff & MarlinMan said, what a great idea. Thanks...
Tom
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

AmBraCol, first we have to take a special course and pass the exam. Then we apply for a license to possess a handgun. Then we have to join a pistol club. Then we pick out the pistol we want to buy and when it arrives, we obtain a permit to take it home. Then to take it to the club to shoot, we have to have another permit. My permit expires in 2009 and it entitles me to take my pistol to any authorized range in our Province. If the pistol was made before 1898 and is of an obsolete caliber, then none of the above apply and I can pack it anywhere without a permit. However, I only pack it into the wilderness. Packing it in an urban area would freak people right out and there would be a pack of ERT's on me in no time flat, even though it might be legal.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Some shooting my friend !!!! 8)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Good for you! 8)
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

That's excellent! Some of us were surprised to find out one of our brother forum members was a preacher. He came along on the bear hunting trip to Maine. Last person you'd think - probably peg him for a biker gang member first. He keeps his spiritual duties private unless someone gets to know him personally. Good for you taking your clergyman out shooting!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Can we get an "Amen". Good job.

I think sometimes we believe that pastor's aren't interested in hunting or firearm sports. As far as the male persuation, they're men just like the rest of us, and almost all males like the smell of gunpowder. :D
Old Law Dawg