45-70 load help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cworetired
Levergunner

45-70 load help

Post by cworetired »

I have some Lazer-Cast 350gr cast bullets that I would like to load for a Marlin using Accurate 5774. I need a starting load if someone could help. Thanks All
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

Don't take this the wrong way, Chief, but if you don't have The Load Book for 45-70, the Lee Manual and maybe a couple others, please do so. That way you can see some pressure tested loads and do a little intelligent extrapolating on your own....loads just thrown out there are sometimes suspect.
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Hmmm... 5744 maybe? Here's a link to the Accurate loading data...

http://www.accuratepowder.com/loaddata_ ... solete.htm

and what Blaine said +1 :D
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That just goes to show ya an old dog can learn new tricks. I'd never even heard of the Complete book for the 45-70.

I bought a cast bullet load manual at a gunshow a number of years back and I don't recall what the major manufacturer's name was that put it out. Gonna have to look for it.

I need cast load data for the 45-90 Winnie.
Old Law Dawg
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I worked up a good load with my home cast 350 grainers starting from 30.0 gr. and settled on 35.0 grains which gives a velocity of 1500 fps. It is very accurate in my 1895G, about 1.25" at 50 yds. with a receiver sight. One thing you will find with these loads is that powder is DIRTY. It leaves a lot of unburnt powder kernels in the bore. I can tip the barrel down after a shot and about 15-20 powder kernels will trickle out. I haven't had a problem with a round chambering because of it, but I make sure to keep the barrel level or angled down when opening the bolt.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, Chief, but if you don't have The Load Book for 45-70, the Lee Manual and maybe a couple others, please do so. That way you can see some pressure tested loads and do a little intelligent extrapolating on your own....loads just thrown out there are sometimes suspect.
Another fan of these load books. I have them for all my major calibers, including the .45-70. These are just great references, and Midway USA often runs them on sale! :D
John Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Boy »

I need a starting load if someone could help. Thanks All
Give 23grs XMP5744 a try
Regards
John
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, Chief, but if you don't have The Load Book for 45-70, the Lee Manual and maybe a couple others, please do so. That way you can see some pressure tested loads and do a little intelligent extrapolating on your own....loads just thrown out there are sometimes suspect.
Another fan of these load books. I have them for all my major calibers, including the .45-70. These are just great references, and Midway USA often runs them on sale! :D
I like them too. I'v got most of the manuals they get their data from but it makes cross refferincing easy. :wink: