Sling for Win 1895

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Sling for Win 1895

Post by crs »

I am considering how to attach a carrying sling to my 1895 .405.

In this article on the return of the 1895 .405,
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured ... /big_0401/

I read that it is best to have a barrel band swivel installed in front of the schnabel forend tip for two reasons:
1. the short forestock has little room for a sling swivel stud; and
2. Because a stud in the fore stock may recoil back into your hand.

Does anyone have a barrel band on their 1895 .405?

I have located barrel bands in my Brownells catalog, but should I have a gunsmith do the installation?

Also, what would look best and work best for the buttstock sling connection?
A screw in swivel stud or a metal socket for the stud?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Don McDowell

Re: Sling for Win 1895

Post by Don McDowell »

I mounted the Uncle Mikes clamp on barrel band , and use the screw in stud in the butt. The strap that's on the rifle is braided horse hair sling available from Browning.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I have a barrel band on mine and a normal stock plug in the stock. I love it.

8)
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

There is always this type if you don't want any holes in your stocks or extra attachments on your barrel. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=393383
They work well enough for me as strictly a carry method, not a steady sighting aid.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Levergun Leatherworks has one model that has a butt cuff on one end, and loops around the barrel on the other. Looks right smart. Contact him at

http://www.levergunleather.com/index.htm

Should you decide to go with the more traditional manner of slinging you mentioned, he makes beautiful slings for that, as well.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I tried a machine threaded stud on my Browning and it was a perfect fit. I was ssurprised as I thought it would be metric (or maybe the swivel stud was also). It most certainly is for a carrying sling and not for a shooting sling but it does work well for carrying.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

gents;
Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions - plenty to think about.
Two of them may not work too well:
1. My slip on shotgun type sling can obscure the front sight, and
2. The thick recoil pad almost makes the LOP to long now and the use of the excellent leatherwork from Levergunleather might make me need longer arms. (I do need on of those butt cuff slings for my 1886 .45-90 though).

Also, I only want the sling for carrying, not for shooting.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

My barrel band mounted sling has been the perfect answer on my Browning 1895 '06 for the past eight years. I would think about trimming the butt to match the pad for a proper length of pull, and don't forget to allow for a heavier coat if it gets cool in your country. You might also think about an XS striped blade front sight and either an XS or Skinner peep mounted on the bolt for the rear. Being able to see makes a vast difference in the field.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

[quote="blackhawk44"]. I would think about trimming the butt to match the pad for a proper length of pull, and don't forget to allow for a heavier coat if it gets cool in your country. rear. quote]

Can't speak for CRS, but I know that with my rifle, adding the recoil pad with out sawing off the stock accomplished two things. First was it soaked enough of the recoil to keep from giving a mild concussion after 10 or so rounds, and second it brought the length of pull out much closer to what I needed.(13.5 inches is all fine and dandy on lesser recoil rounds, but is way short for the heavy stuff) Having your fingernails bite your lip everytime you pull the trigger soon leads to yanking the trigger. Also when the length of pull is long enough to be close to proper it helps to deal with heavy recoil.
Ever notice how most Sharps rifles have a 14+ inch lop? That ain't zactly cuz the got a good deal on long buttstocks. :D
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

crs wrote:I am considering how to attach a carrying sling to my 1895 .405. . . .
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Stop what you're doing!

Regardless what you do, no sling for a Winchester M1895 can be used well as a shooting sling. It is strictly for carrying convenience. Go to http://www.levergunleather.com/ and look at his carry slings that require no work done on your rifle. Gunblasts.com's archives contains several articles, at least one of which pertains to carry slings. These slings look superb and do the job. Can't ask for more.

Hope this helps.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

ive got a better idea... by giving that ugly rifle to me, you will no longer have to worry about a sling :twisted:
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

The original rifles had a swivel eye dovetailed into the barrel...just another thought if you wanted to be a bit more authentic.

Two of the rifles here show it, but it's hard to get a good look: http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/ ... l_95.shtml

95fan (Steve) has an original 1895 with the dovetailed swivel eye and would probably take some pictures if you were interested.

The Levergun Leatherworks slings are very nice, but they are not the easiest to remove and replace. They are better for more permanent installation. Mine doesn't inhibit the sights in any way. Here it is on my 303 Brit takedown:
Chad