Copied the Winchester ad (PICS)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Copied the Winchester ad (PICS)

Post by 86er »

This is the look I was going for, the Winchester 94 advertisement.

Well, I could have shot an aoudad, but I couldn't find the only one I wanted to take off the ranch. I did manage to put the digital cam in a bush behind me and hit the timer button before I aimed in. I captured a good over-the-shoulder shot of me aiming the 1886. Just like the ad! Didn't pull the trigger though!

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Joe, Your's looks real though. :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ah, I see the difference. They used a professional photographer so the shooter and everything except the receiver of the rifle is blurry. Your photo has great focus and is very clear. Obviously an amateurish attempt to replicate the ad. :lol: :lol: Besides, it looks better.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

:roll: Did anybody notice that the rear sight blade and elevator was missing on the rifle in the Winchester add?

Also in the add the shooter is resting the forearm on the cross bar in front of him. In my experiance that will throw that shot far, and wide.

Other wise it's an OK pic I guess. 86er, I like yours better.

Joe
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

That 94' across the bottom of the ad looks almost as good as your 94'. :D

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

J,

That was almost the first thing I noticed as well. I wonder if it was actuall sighted in that way or if it has any benefit.

Not only that, but it looks like the safety is on too
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

You would think that they would have done better with the details :? . Very nice pic 86er
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

The Winchester photo is a reject, yours is much better.

If you want to blur the background, try a faster shutter speed. That should do the trick.

Yes, I have a 35mm "real" camera, no, I don't have a digital yet. Go ahead and laugh. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

meanc,

Doesn't the safety engage by being pushed from left to right? I've never used a Winchester with the CB safety. But my Marlin engages from left to right.
The add is dark enough on my monitor, I can't really tell.

Joe
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

J Miller wrote:meanc,

Doesn't the safety engage by being pushed from left to right? I've never used a Winchester with the CB safety. But my Marlin engages from left to right.
The add is dark enough on my monitor, I can't really tell.

Joe
The receiver is dished out on the right side so me thinks that's where you're supposed to push your finger to disengage the "safety". To my way of looking at things, that kind of setup is a "Oh C**P" moment waiting to happen. Although I'm not that old I'm still an old grouch when it comes to the newfangled "safety" gizmos all the idiots are hanging on guns any more. I like my guns "old fashioned", like the three screw Ruger, pre-64 Winchester, Model 10, etc.

Rant mode off. At any rate, in the picture above there's a definite button sticking up in the middle of the dished out space so it would appear to me that the "safety" is engaged and that hammer, she's just gonna go click when he pulls the trigger. You'd think they'd at least photo shop it before blowing it up into an ad... :roll:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The receiver is dished out on the right side so me thinks that's where you're supposed to push your finger to disengage the "safety". To my way of looking at things, that kind of setup is a "Oh C**P" moment waiting to happen. Although I'm not that old I'm still an old grouch when it comes to the newfangled "safety" gizmos all the idiots are hanging on guns any more. I like my guns "old fashioned", like the three screw Ruger, pre-64 Winchester, Model 10, etc.
AmBraCol,
I'm the same way. Other than the Marlin I have I don't own any lever guns with a lawyer inspired safety. And my Marlin has had the safety replaced with one of the kits. I don't own any New Model Rugers, or any new S&Ws with locks either.

In the regular Leverguns forum there are a number of threads and posts where shooters have reported the safety on the Winchesters being engaged when they laid the gun on the bench. Others have reported it getting engaged somehow and causing them to miss their game shots. It is/was a stupid and despised gizmo that has no bearing on common sense. Not to mention being the ugliest modification they could come up with.

I bought one AE Winchester in '86, and have considered others, until they started the safeties. Since then I don't even look at the new Winchesters.
As much as I dislike the CB safeties the one Marlin uses is at least unobtrusive and less prone to unintentional engagement. And easier to get rid of too.

Joe