FOUND!...1851 Colt Open Top (Clone)!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

FOUND!...1851 Colt Open Top (Clone)!

Post by rbertalotto »

Ok, big deal...I found a Armi San Marco 1851 Open Top in 38 Special.....Here is why it is a Big Deal.
If you live here in the horrible state of Massachusetts, we have a law that you can't buy any handgun (ANY!!!) that was not in the state of Massachusetts before 1998 (and you have to have proof) or it must pass a very involved test to assure it is safe to sell in Massachusetts if built after 1998. So just about any SAA revolver except Rugers (and only certain models) are available for sale as new firearms here in Massachusetts. Colt, Uberti, Pieta and all the rest have not gone through the nearly $10,000 per revolver required to get their SAA revolvers certified.

I wanted a pair of open top 38 special revolvers for years. At a gun show here in MA a few years ago I found one. 1851 Armi San Marco in 38 special. The price was $400 and I didn't think a second and bought it. The odds of finding even ONE pre 1998 open top 1851 is remarkable!

The chance of finding this pre 1998 revolver here in Massachusetts was a miracle!

A few days ago while sitting at the airport waiting to get on a plane for Australia I was scanning the local want ads and I found another "Mass Complaint" 1851 Armi San Marco for $400 . I contacted the seller and explained my situation. He said he would hold it until I got back. Nice guy!

Once I returned home I contacted him and made the deal.

So now I have a pair!

I also ordered a nice set of holsters from Western and Wildlife Wonders

Now I just need to resolve the grip issue. If they were two piece grips I could just swap them around and have checkered on the outside and smooth on the inside of both guns.

Or I'll just get the smooth grips checkered to match........

I need to go buy a lottery ticket............How rare are two Armi San Marco revolvers here in Massachusetts and both Mass Compliant!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: FOUND!...1851 Colt Open Top (Clone)!

Post by Buck Elliott »

Maybe you should leave MA and move to America...

Hard to believe one of the "Original Colonies" - especially one that figures so strongly in the birth of modern gun manufacture - could have fallen so far..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

If it wasn't for 8 grand kids I'd be gone tomorrow. But if I lived in a state where I could buy any gun I wanted I'd be totally broke. :D
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Gascozark
Levergunner

Post by Gascozark »

Congrats! Nothing like a nice pair of matched revolvers. Nice holster rig too!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I really like those open tops. Get those smooth grips checkered or find a set to buy. I think that grip frame is the same as a SAA.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... I guess... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: If you just gotta have those suppository type cartridges! :twisted: :twisted:

Kiddin'... :lol: kinda! :P Very classy, and practicable if you need a speedy reload! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: What barrel length? Oh yeah, get 'em converted to use Ruger hand springs. I did that with all four of my Colt 1851s.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Nice guns. I've got a pair of Uberti 1872 open tops in .44 special I'm just dying to shoot. Open tops are just cool guns.

Lots of interesting reading here http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=56.0 about open tops, including tips on tuning them.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rbertalotto wrote:If it wasn't for 8 grand kids I'd be gone tomorrow. But if I lived in a state where I could buy any gun I wanted I'd be totally broke. :D
But it would be a good broke! :wink:

Congrats on the 1851's. What a deal!!! :mrgreen:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

rbertalotto wrote:If it wasn't for 8 grand kids I'd be gone tomorrow. But if I lived in a state where I could buy any gun I wanted I'd be totally broke. :D
So...tell me again WHY that would be a bad thing...I left NY 17 years ago and live in the Pacific North West, it may be liberal, but I can buy anything, well accept a predator drone... :)
drone_strike.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Those are beautiful pieces. I like the checkered grips too.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
nitro-express
Levergunner

Post by nitro-express »

Technically those are conversions, not open tops. Open tops do not have the conversion ring. Conversions of the 1851 and 1860/61 were a design of Mason, Richards and a collaborative Richards-Mason conversion. Conversions by private gunsmiths existed as well. I believe both Mason and Richards also worked on the open top. One distinctive feature of the open top design is the rear sight is forged on the top of the barrel.

All of the original open tops were chambered in 44 Henry Rimfire.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Congratulations on a great find!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

1894c wrote: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:38 pm
So...tell me again WHY that would be a bad thing...I left NY 17 years ago and live in the Pacific North West, it may be liberal, but I can buy anything, well accept a predator drone... :)
drone_strike.jpg
You do realize the purpose of the second amendment is to give citizens weapons parity with the government. Remember the writers had just overthrown their government and wanted the ability to do so again if needed.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad