Anyone shoot a winchester 62

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Anyone shoot a winchester 62

Post by barbarossa »

I just picked up a nice winchester 62 in real good condition .It was made in 1947 and has all the features of a winchester 62A (coil main spring ,long forend etc) with the exception of the barrel it is marked winchester 62 not 62a.I can t wait to take it out for some fun .
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone shoot a winchester 62

Post by OldWin »

I have one. It is a lot of fun to shoot and shoots extremely well.
Have fun with it! Congrats.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It's the one all the way to the left.....1946 transitional....171K.....post war gun with pre war features such as being d&t for a tang sight. Only shot one mag tube out of it.....safe queen...99 percenter. It's the same gun as an 1890 but with the ability to interchange ammo....few cosmetic differences.

You cant go wrong buying any old Winchester made before the junk they put out in the sixties..they hold their value, are dependable, and are unusually accurate. Many of my pre war .22's will keep up with today's bolt action match rifles even though they are pumps, single shots, and semi auto's. I have a couple of 63's that will shoot ragged holes at 50 meters.....with good ammo such as Green Tag.....---6

Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a couple 62’s , a 61 and an 1890 for awhile . The 61 with an old Weaver K-10 and Eley Gold Benchrest would shoot some very tiny groups at 25 and 50 yards . I’ve sold off the 62’s and the 61 but the 1890 will stay with me until I’m gone my maternal grandfather and his brother bought that rifle brand new in the 20’s and he gave it to me when I graduated high school FORTY years ago this summer :!:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Here s a pic of her

I had a Rossi 62a couple of years ago but had problems with cartridge extraction ,even after replacing the extractor too bad too because I really liked the gun
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

In my early teenage years, I shot a M61 and my hunting buddy, Don, shot a Model 62.We exchanged rifles often just for the fun of it. The 62 was a really cool rifle and both were very accurate.
I lost track of Don and his rifle, but I have my M61 hammerless. It is great on rabbits, PD, and squirrels and such small game.

This brings back a lot of childhood memories.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

It would be cool if winchester came out with an 1890 or a 62a reissue.I would buy one especialliy if they did an 1890 with a case coloured frame
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Your 62 sure looks clean and factory fresh.....how much did you give for it? I got mine for 5 about 5 years ago but I felt like I stole it....it was at a 10 cent hillbilly auction.

I've seen it a million times.....With the exception of the Jap guns .....anytime a cheap repo is put to use the way the original Winchesters were, they break down. It's a hit or miss with the foreign junk........forgot how many Winchester, Marlin or Colt extreme "beaters" I've bought over the years with full confidence they were going to go "bang"....and chuck in the next one.---6

This 1890 in .22 L.R. (Hard one to find)....has been hanging here for 40 years. Forgot how many "targets" have succumbed to the 40 grainers.
Last edited by Sixgun on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Model A Uzi’s
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I paid $800 canadian for it.It does have a little finish wear from carrying but not much so it s been hunted with but has had an easy life I believe.I agree on the repros Miroku would do a good job but I would stay away from a chiappa etc.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

More than fair price you paid......that's what I really like with the old guns.....if you buy them "right", your not spending money, your investing it with a guaranteed return.

If I remember right, I paid $150 for the 1890......got to shoot "who knows how many thousands of rounds"....and am confident I'll get 4X what I paid for it....try that with a Rossi!---6
Model A Uzi’s
32-20
Levergunner

Post by 32-20 »

My father bought me a used 62 in 1957 for 15.00. I was 5 years old and it was a little big for me then but I grew into it. It was and still is a great squirrel rifle.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

This 1890 was already customized when I bought it with a longer stock with a cheek piece, checkered and pistol gripped. I may have made a mistake. A old gunsmith friend said it was okay to rechamber it from 22 WRF to 22 WMRF. I think I posted it here once before and someone here warned me to not to shoot mags in it. I had shot the mags in it prior and it was okay. With the longer stock this rifle fits me the best of all I have. I also own a model 63 I bought NIB and inherited a 61 with the octagon barrel my dad bought in the late 1930`s. It`s 22 LR. No doubt the first rifle I ever shot.
https://i.postimg.cc/cHpQ5q4K/winm90675385-A.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/NGnN3ytZ/winm63173404.jpg

Last edited by Booger Bill on Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey 32-20...you and I are close...in 1957 I was 3........and 62 years later, I still act like I'm 3

BTW...your handle is my favorite cartridge.----6
Model A Uzi’s
32-20
Levergunner

Post by 32-20 »

Here is a pic. of my "15.00" 62
SAM_0409.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Nice rig 32-20.......see you have an original Marbles tang sight on it. I bet that rifle has stories to tell, especially in those devilish teenage years.----6. Yours is the more desirable pre war variation.
Model A Uzi’s
32-20
Levergunner

Post by 32-20 »

While my 62 was mainly a squirrel gun, it also took it's share of woodchucks and 2 turkeys. Some of my favorite memories with it are shooting rats at the town dump.Would love to be able to do that again.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Well...not a 62 but its Grandfather the 1890 . Here is a beat up 1890 frame I rescued, worked on, and sent to Turnbull for the case colors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958