Reconditoning an old O3-A3

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Reconditoning an old O3-A3

Post by Old Savage »

Six and all, the example I have is a Smith Corona, barrel and receiver both stamped 10-42. It has sat in a closet for most of that time occasionally shot. It was acquired initially for $14 by the original civilian owner. It has the six groove rifling. Working on cleaning up the barrel. Bore was a dark mystery with prominent rifling. Now it shows signs of being sharp with removing some of whatever dust and whatever else in the barrel. I have treated it to WD 40, CR 10, Hoppe's and Rem Oil thus far. Taking it a bit slow, no hurry.

Advice from those who have dealt with this sort of clean up?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Reconditoning an old O3-A3

Post by J Miller »

With barrels like that, I run a bronze brush through them soaked with Hoppe's #9, then a sopping wet patch of same and lean it muzzle down on a pile of rags. The solvent with crud runs out the barrel. Then I run clean patches through till they come out more or less clean and dry.
I repeat this as many times as needed to get the barrel clean.
Then oil it until I go shooting.

No doubt there are many other methods, but this one has worked for me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My advice would be to simply clean it well as you have, and start shooting it. Strong rifling and a dark bore wont usually shoot badly, and the more you shoot it the better it will look. I've had plenty of strong, dark bores shoot excellent.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:50 am My advice would be to simply clean it well as you have, and start shooting it. Strong rifling and a dark bore wont usually shoot badly, and the more you shoot it the better it will look. I've had plenty of strong, dark bores shoot excellent.

Right.....Marlinman and me have plenty of experience shooting guns from the corrosive primer/powder days. Do what Joe says, then shoot it, preferably with a couple of hundred jacketed bullets first. You ought to see what 5 thousand lead bullets will do to a dark bore.

OS.....For STARTERS....take the rifle out of the wood.....wire brush it and like Joe says, do it until it's clean. Then, what I like to do with rusty, dark bores is to plug the chamber and fill the barrel with a super rust dissolver like PB Blaster....let it sit for a few days or a week.......then clean and brush it again. While the bore is soaking, clean up the wood...no sanding....just clean it and get the oil and dirt off. Let it dry then add some stock oil, nothing fancy, even common wood restorer with scratch remover in it....Pledge makes this.

Remember, your not restoring a $10,000 Sharps.....just cleaning it and putting moisture back in the wood and metal. While the metal is out, clean up the trigger mechanism, bolt, sights, etc. A toothbrush slopped up with Hoppes will do fine.

If you have compressed air, fine...blow out the crud. If not, after all of the scrubbing is done, spray it liberally with a degreaser like Simple Green and take that baby in the bathtub and hose it down with hot water...the hotter the better......maybe boil up a couple of gallons and run it over the metal. After it's clean and dry, reoil that baby...then shoot it.......until the cows come home.

Beings that you are in the medical field, you live a clean life and may have difficulty with this mess. I wish we lived closer as I'm a country redneck who thinks nothing of getting filthy because I'd do it for ya.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, thanks for the reply and Joe. I am on Joe's step right now. Wife is not home. I do not believe the bore is rusty. I think a combo of 50 year old Hoppe's and dust. Then I will reassess. Looks like prized early six groove.

BTW, this is my Cattle Drive Chili on the stove. Best chili I have ever had. The Trail Ride version is pictured on the stainless thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just read that a Parkerized bolt indicates an arsenal refinish. My boot appears to be Parkerized. It does have the cleaning kit in the butt in the metal tube.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Fred,

An O3-A3 is the one military bolt rifle I've never owned. Always wanted one, couldn't find one when I had the money, didn't have the money when I did find one ... :roll: .
Good luck on your cleaning, I'd wager it will shoot better than you think it will.

Chili looks good.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:54 am Just read that a Parkerized bolt indicates an arsenal refinish. My boot appears to be Parkerized. It does have the cleaning kit in the butt in the metal tube.

OS,
As soon as I see "Mr. Military Gun Guru" I'll ask him. This guy is the third of my only friends and can tell me what every mark and model was ever made on WW1 and 2 guns. I do remember him telling me that most WW2 guns were rebuilt/refinished. Probably why you never see a rifle with a bullet hole in the stock as I'm sure there were plenty. I personally think, from a shooters point of view is a good thing. According to him, my Smith Carona was rebuilt but my National Match Garand was not. ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD