200 gr jacketed 44 bullets and loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

200 gr jacketed 44 bullets and loads

Post by Malamute »

I'd like to load some moderate level 200 gr loads for 44 mag and spl. I'm thinking of about 1000-1100 fps in a pistol and whatever that translates into for carbine use, which I'm guessing will be just a bit above jacketed factory 44-40 loads, maybe around 1400-ish fps. I'm thinking Unique will be fine at this level, 2400 may be a bit slow for 4" barrels and moderate velocities. I will use magnum cases, and probably some spl cases with slightly lighter loads to achieve the same velocity.

So, which bullet? From surfing around, it looks like the Hornbady 200 gr XTP or the Speer 200 gr Gold Dot (44 spl and mid range 44 mag load suggested). I'm not shooting bears. This is for use from skunks to deer level use at relatively close range, and potential defensive loads that have moderate recoil and arent ear blasters like top end loads are. I dont want a bullet with lead exposed, they flatten out when left loaded for long periods in the magazine.

Anyone have experience with either of those bullets? Any other suggestions in the jacketed 200 gr, no lead exposed category? Do the tips of either of these bullets look like theyd be a problem in tube magazines?

Guns used would be Smith 4" 29, 4" 24 and Browning 92.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 200 gr jacketed 44 bullets and loads

Post by OldWin »

I have used the 200gr Hornady XTP in 44W.C.F with excellent results. Both for accuracy and as a deer load. I used it over Unique and shot a few deer with it.

While the 200's work ok in .44 Magnum, I've always got better accuracy with 240's. At least in my particular guns.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I use quite a few of the Hornaday XTP 200 grain in my 44-40s and with a sabot in my 50 cal muzzle loader. I've killed a bunch of deer with them especially in the muzzle loader. Very accurate and deadly.
I load them in the 44-40 with WW 296, (won't say how much) and am careful to label for 92 ONLY! Wouldn't want one of them in my old Colts or 73's.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

What velocity have you guys run them? Are they pretty fast expanding?

Like I mentioned above, I dont want to run them hard, just enough to get good expansion and be mild in a carbine and controlable and not too muzzle blasty in a pistol. I didnt know if they open up fast enough at the lower velocities I'm wanting to use them at. I'd prefer to err on the side of fast expanding rather than tough and deep penetrating for most of what I want to do with them. I kind of like how the 30-30 turns skunks inside out. Similar performance from the pistol and carbine loads would make me happy.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I like the Nosler 200 gr. RNJHP, behind Unique. The same bullet in 240 gr. is more accurate in my 92 Carbine, and WW296 powder in mag cases.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I should have mentioned that I'm getting 1800 fps out of my muzzle loader with the 200 XTP but they expand well down in the 1000 fps range too. At least the couple that I've recovered showed good expansion. Mostly they make 2 holes.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I was loading 10gr. of Unique behind the 200gr. XTP. This was ONLY for a 92 obviously. As far as I can recall, I was getting about 1500fps out of a carbine.

If I was going to use it again, I would probably back it off a bit as the XTP doesn't need that much speed for reliable expansion.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Interesting. I was thinking that 9 or 9 1/2 grs would be close to what I was wanting for pistol and carbine use.

I shoot mostly 9 grs Unique with a 240-250 gr bullet in mag cases. I was aiming for about 1000 fps in a pistol. I started shooting some of the 200 gr RNFP cast bullets for plinking carbine loads and just used the same charge. Its fairly mild in a carbine. I dont know what that will do in a 4" 29 or in a carbine with the 200 gr jacketed load. I want to keep the pistol loads high enough velocoty to give reliable expansion. I'd be happy with a bit more vigorous expansion than just barely adequet velocity/expansion.

Thanks for the posts guys, its been helpful.