PRAYER REQUEST - for those in the path of Gustav...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

PRAYER REQUEST - for those in the path of Gustav...

Post by RSY »

This one is gonna be a doozy :!: I know I may have more of an emotional attachment than most to the area since I lived in SE LA when Katrina hit. But, lemme assure you, the region is full of some of the finest people you'd care to cross paths with. And, that's coming from a die-hard, life-long Texan.

Specifically, keep members Shawn Hagler and Chuck Smith in your thoughts and prayers, as they live in Slidell, LA. I know they'll both be riding out the storm as Chuck is a captain in the STPSO and Hagler cannot transport his wife, Carla, for long distances.

Thanks to all, in advance,
Scott
Hobie

Re: PRAYER REQUEST - for those in the path of Gustav...

Post by Hobie »

My wife (a veteran of many a hurricane) and I (only 4 for me) have been praying for all. We've got family and friends all along the gulf coast.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Indeed, we will remember them on our prayers.
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

My mom went up to DC during the storm and my sister and BIL will go up to Natchitoches this evening. They were stuffing the windows with towels to try to keep out driving rain.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Saw it on BBC news.
I hope everyone in the path of Gustav stay safe and escape any serious damage.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I just got word from Shawn that he and Carla are gonna bug out, after all, about 100 miles north to Laurel, MS. I think that's a good move, in the grand scheme of things. I hope they have a safe trip.

Scott
drboomboom
Levergunner

Post by drboomboom »

Our prayers go out to those in the storm area, especially the Hagler and Smith families.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Prayers and thoughts for all those in the storm's path.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Prayers up.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

gonna be a bad one for sure. prayers up
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Prayers up!
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Prayers sent
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

done - and yes, anybody down there when this hits is going to need the help.

My business associates that live there all left on Friday - mostly went to Baton Rouge.

New Orleans can't take a direct hit. They're only 20-30% of the way done with the levy repairs and upgrades.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Done! I am glad to hear folks are bugging out. It is wise if there is ANY doubt about one's house being flooded, destroyed, etc. During Katrina, my Dad's house in MS was totally destroyed, down to the foundation -- it even cleaned the floor tiles off the foundation in many places. He'd lived there 30 years and never had water do more than come up in his yard, but not close to the house. (Back Bay of Biloxi, 19 feet elevation.) We were mighty glad we'd left, even though it is a hard thing to do. We lost 4 neighbors in Katrina -- their houses were destroyed by the flood surge and they all died. We almost lost several more, but luckily they decided to leave at the last minute. They came home to a foundation, also.

I've ridden out many a hurricane (including Camille in 1969 -- 200+ mph wind gusts recorded), but storms like this DEMAND respect!

All the best to the folks in Gustav's path, and will be keeping them in my thoughts and prayers.

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Hey, everybody!

I spoke to Tycer & RSY. Later, I had varying degrees of success getting back to them. Our cellular phones work intermitantly. Carla & I are in Laurel, Mississippi, at Audubon Drive Church. We were going to stay with a friend in Slidell, but he wound up under evacuation orders, too.

We have been in Laurel since Sunday night. St Tammany parish is still closed. My answering machine in Slidell is working, and a long-time friend, and contrctor/ advisor to our church in Slidell, has visited that church & our trailer, and said that all looks fine. We are expecting to stay in Laurel overnight, and we may be here through Thursday, or Friday.

Thanks for the thoughts & concerns. Your prayers are much coveted. It may be a few days before I check in, again.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Hagler wrote:Hey, everybody!

I spoke to Tycer & RSY. Later, I had varying degrees of success getting back to them. Our cellular phones work intermitantly. Carla & I are in Laurel, Mississippi, at Audubon Drive Church. We were going to stay with a friend in Slidell, but he wound up under evacuation orders, too.

We have been in Laurel since Sunday night. St Tammany parish is still closed. My answering machine in Slidell is working, and a long-time friend, and contrctor/ advisor to our church in Slidell, has visited that church & our trailer, and said that all looks fine. We are expecting to stay in Laurel overnight, and we may be here through Thursday, or Friday.

Thanks for the thoughts & concerns. Your prayers are much coveted. It may be a few days before I check in, again.

Shawn
In case you haven't heard St. Tammany is officially open to everyone as of 6 am on wed. A 10 pm to dawn curfew will be in effect. Slidell has drinking water but no flushing allowed yet. Some areas around Slidell do have both. Electric is back on in many areas of Slidell as of tonight, and some areas also have the land line phones and some cell phone towers are working. I know of only 1 food store and 1 gas station that opened tonight in Pearl River (Jubilee and Shell), but I'm sure there will be businesses open tomorrow in the area. You can also shop in Picayune on your way down. They got electric on today.

I will be returning tomorrow morning and am unsure yet if I have a tree in the house or not. I heard that 2 house had trees on them in my area, but not sure if one was mine. I rode out the storm near Picayune and it wasn't too bad there. Good luck.

Mike
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Glad the storm wasn't as bad as people had anticipated. This does show that one shouldn't be quick to evacuate; Nagin's not letting folks back. Hopefully the looters don't take advantage of this...
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Stores, restaurants, and gas stations are opening up wherever there is electric. Mine came on at 3pm today. :D :D :D :D

Thanks for all the prayers!!! :D Came home this morning to find my home was undamaged except for a minor problem with a garage door. Big relief! :)
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Good people,

Thanks, again, for the thoughts.

Carla & I got home at about 6:15 p.m.. Our trailer is alright. The church is alright, too. Their annex, the relief center, has minor roof flashing damge. A tree was blown over, but did not damage anything.

We are now watching hurricane Ike. We may have to repeat our recent performance!

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage