38/40 Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

38/40 Day

Post by earlmck »

I have several weapons that shoot this cartridge and was running low on bullets -- as in figuring I have enough for the Memorial Day shoot but not enough to refill 'em afterward. So hotted up the pot and broke out the trusty 5-cavity Accurate mould: one of those moulds that is just a joy to use with every throw making 5 nice 'uns and they just fall out with a couple gentle taps.

Then it took a big part of the rest of the day to run 'em through the old Star. Real wake-up call at the end when I ran out of gas checks before I'd quite run through the bullets. Uh - oh, whatcha' bet they are "Out of Stock, No Backorder"? (Seen an awful lot of that phrase these last few years).

Nope, good ole SagesOutdoors.com has plenty and I got a goodly supply ordered up. Whew! (This Accurate mould takes his 41 cal check rather than the 40 cal you'd first guess). Although the trusty Star will put the 40 on there if that's all you've got.
38wcfStuff.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 38/40 Day

Post by RIHMFIRE »

ah yes...my favorite round.
have fun!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, you are one of the best and most meticulous casters I know of. I have had great luck with Sage for gas checks as well, although I am not sure how enthused I am about the aluminum checks I recently got from them. Not their fault -- it is the material.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

What weight boolit? Looks like Caranuba blue lube--good stuff, its what I use for most stuff
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:02 am Earl, you are one of the best and most meticulous casters I know of. I have had great luck with Sage for gas checks as well, although I am not sure how enthused I am about the aluminum checks I recently got from them. Not their fault -- it is the material.
Yes, I tried the Aluminum checks also. Got poorer accuracy and less velocity in my limited testing. And then I got to thinking about Aluminum oxide rubbing against my old barrels and decided to stick with copper henceforth. Old Dog/New Trick. UnnUhh
Rockrat wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:41 am What weight boolit? Looks like Caranuba blue lube--good stuff, its what I use for most stuff
200 grainers-- Its Accurate mould # 40 - 200B. They come out about 210 after check & lube. And I'm still using LBT's blue lube that I got a bushel of many years ago.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry