Winchester 1892 field service bolt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester 1892 field service bolt

Post by Pat C »

Has anyone seen a undersize WRA model 1892 field service bolt? In the early 1990's I traded for a dark patina beater grade 1892 rifle. Mainly as a restoration candidate.

1905 receiver with a late end of production barrel ,marked 50 on the underside. 1950 I assume. Based on the condition I assume it was rebarreled at or near that time.

There were no mail order or OF fitting stamps on the barrel. So its possible it was rebarreled at WRA.
But here is the unusual thing, it has a breech bolt with an undersized angled cut locking bolt slots instead of the normal parallel cut slots.

Both locking bolts are milled to match this angle so when the bolt closes the two angles mate together .
No markings what so ever on the bolt but clearly was precision done by a experienced gunsmith .

Everything about the bolt otherwise matches standard WRA 92 bolts including mill marks. I've had it for 30 years and it was heavy patina when I got it then.

I have a nice standard pair of locking bolts and really think I would like to mill it to proper dimensions .
Never heard of it have I seen anouther like this. ??????
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1892 field service bolt

Post by Grizz »

is it possibly a bolt from a 94 ?

photos might trigger someone's recall . . .

grizz
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Rifle is deep in the back of safe,but Ill try to get some photos. No its a 1892 bolt no way to mistake one for 94 as the locking bolts are different.

Its a delibertly made service bolt to tight headspace. Question is by who ?
Its possible it was purchased from Winchester to be fitted by outside gunsmith . Or some commercial copy .

But I have not seen anouther like it.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Arrow points to the no standard surfaces , the bolts forward slot is angled back about 1/16" ,the locking bolts front mating surface has same angle machined to match.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Hand drawing showing difference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Following
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I guess this must be a one off, can't find anyone that's ever heard of such a mod. I have a feeling there must have been an headspace issue with original barrel so this bolt was made to adjust it.
When it was rebarreled I guess this modified bolt stayed with the rifle.

Based on what I see it looks like if the angled side was milled to parallel back wall a standard locking block will work as normal. Actually the bolt could be milled on both sides to adjust perfect headspace.

I have seen 1892 rifles where the headspace was so long the extractor wouldn't reliably snap over rim.But once fired the cartridge pushes back to work as designed.