Chiappa 1886

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Chiappa 1886

Post by Daisyman »

Does anyone know anything about the Chiappa lever guns? I didn't know they made them until there was a reference to them on here a while back. Their 1886 looks really nice and you can get it about any way you want for bbl length and so on. How about the reliability of them? Anybody own one?

Thanks, Irv
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Chiappa 1886

Post by Daisyman »

Helloooo, is anybody out there........ :lol: :lol: :lol: Mercy, this is the quietest I've ever seen a thread. Evidently, no one else knows much about these either. Well, out to the internet and try to dig up something. :wink: :idea:
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I just checked You Tube out of curiosity & there are a few vids on their 1886 if that's any help. No personal experience myself, but if their replica 1876 Win is well made, it should follow so is their 1886, no?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Was considering one. They seem to follow closely with WWG. I have handled the trapper in .357 and the Alaskan in same from them, 1892, not 1886. I was looking at that cloner as a truck and companion mate to my 3 inch L frame . The 1886 appeals to me because of the sights as I have problems with the ladder sights on the original, copies. The skinner sight is very usable for my old eyes. I like the Mat finish, simple, rugged, rifle for a rifleman. Love the caliber. I think for the money I would think this a viable option. I am going to get the 1892 in .357 first then I am going to consider one of the 1885's
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I suggest you do some internet searchs such as:
problems with Chiappa 1886 (this gave me many hits on problems)
complaints on Chiappa 1886
Chiappa 1886 reviews
Chiappa 1886 stories

Improvise your own and enjoy
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

crs wrote:I suggest you do some internet searchs such as:
problems with Chiappa 1886 (this gave me many hits on problems)
complaints on Chiappa 1886
Chiappa 1886 reviews
Chiappa 1886 stories

Improvise your own and enjoy
Good suggestion. I just did that after I posted earlier and noticed a few problems. I'm going to look some more.
Thanks.
Irv
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

After doing my research, I think I will let Chiappa stay where they are. What awful reviews on the 86. Look purty, don't work, and the absolute worst customer service. Or none!! :shock:
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Hi,
Good conclusion.... I think you can find a Browning 1886 for similar money....
Rifle or SRC......

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

jd45 wrote:I just checked You Tube out of curiosity & there are a few vids on their 1886 if that's any help. No personal experience myself, but if their replica 1876 Win is well made, it should follow so is their 1886, no?
Don't know, but it doesn't seem like it. I can't find a thumbs up on an 86 anywhere. It seems that one problem was that a standard 405 grain 45-70 is too long to feed reliably through the action. One review couldn't get the 300 grain to feed either. Most all claimed the action was very stiff from bad workmanship i.e. rough finished parts. Doesn't look good from here! I'll pass. :roll:
Irv
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

pshort wrote:Hi,
Good conclusion.... I think you can find a Browning 1886 for similar money....
Rifle or SRC......

Paul
The reason I was asking, there is a trapper on GB started for $650 with 1 bid and 3 days left! Seemed pretty cheap to me so far. Maybe there's a reason for that! :shock: Thanks to all for the advice!!
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

Sorry been off line the last few days, I think I got the only good Chiappa '86 in the world.
Looks goods shoots great.
But everyone else in the world thinks these are like bad Rossi's
Greg S in AK
Levergunner

Post by Greg S in AK »

My trusty Firearms Investment Advisor (FFL) has two, an Alaskan in 44 mag and a Kodiak in 45-70. I've shot both 5 or 6 times. The 44 is alittle stiff/rough for a 92 copy but the Kodiak is a nice gun. He probably has a total of 5-600 through the Kodiak which promted me to get one. Well, about three months ago, i got a call from him that the ridge runners were available. I told him hard chrome and gave him the cc# over the phone. The gun is still in Oregon and I'm stuck up here.

I think the Chiappa's could benifit from an action job and make it a sound rifle. Alot of the problems I saw on my friends Kodiak can be delt with quickly with a stone and some fine sandpaper (rough internal finishes). I don't know if it is cause I'm a tinker or what but all my lever guns were alittle rough around the edges when new. Alittle spring work or exchanging, stoning here or there and some polishing and a healthy oiling until there run in and the surfaces have mated which make them easy to cycle and shoot. I look at a new levergun as a diamond in the rough and after the initial play time start working on the problems and hicops.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The Chiappa 1886 clones I've seen and handled were more money than a guy can pick up a like new or gently used Browning 1886 if he's patient. Unless someone just really wanted fake case hardening.....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

^^^ +1 ^^^

It's a shame that a mfg would go through the troubles of tooling up and making a such a beautiful gun (on the outside anyway) only for it to be a flop on the inside. Why they don't recognize and rectify this is something I cannot comprehend.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Corporations today cut corners by letting the customer do their "quality control". :cry: Sometimes I wander if they figure that we buy guns to look at, and not to shoot"? :roll:
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Chiappa lever action rifles are "A Work In Progress"....You can buy them for very reasonable prices compared to the other options for an 1886.

But I'd suggest you know how to work on a 1886/1892 action before you buy one. Before you shoot it, take it all apart and remove all hard edges from every single part. Hone up the trigger mechanism, change or adjust a few springs and you "might" end up with a nice shootable 1886 for cheap money.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com