Winchester 1894 in 25-35 WCF question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 1894 in 25-35 WCF question.

Post by Last Spike »

I have been looking for the last while for a nice old Winchester 1894 in 25-35 WCF( the ones made from 1895 to 1930 or so). I can get either a rifle or a carbine.

How much of a difference is there between the rifle and the carbine in accuracy? I'd be shooting 117 grain CIL/Dominion ammo at ranges up to 200 yards - for deer and antelope.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think it depends more on the bore and/or other issues than on the format. Lots of people maintain that the rifles are more accurate because of how the tube and forearm are mounted. I think the difference can be explained by the extended sight radius. IOW, no mechanical accuracy difference but once you put the human eye in the equation...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

I should have added that both the rifle and carbine have very good bores - 8 out of 10 or better.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When you ask "how much", I tend to think of numbers, and I don't think you can really do that in the abstract. It would take shooting both to make that determination.

I'll agree w/Hobie that in making a solo shot it will be more precise with the longer sight radius of a rifle. But, will disagree regarding group size of subsequent shots not being impacted by mechanical forces caused by heat.

In all instances where I've shot groups from a '94, groups have opened up when shot rapidly vs. allowing the barrel to cool to ambient temp between shots. This has proven moreso with a carbine than with a rifle. YMMV.
Last edited by Griff on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'll go on to say, that you could certianly find a particlar carbine that'd outshoot a particular rifle, but... I believe the law of averagges is against ya. :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

25-35

Post by Hillbilly »

I have never shot mine on paper much,,, 1912 SRC with a good bore. I shoot Winchester or S&B ... Offhand I can crack 2 liter bottles at will out to 75 or 80 steps
This old carbine has 3 blade flip up express sights.

I guess this should shoot under 3 inches at 100... rested or prone

I know it can do it... but 200 yards is a long shot for a 117 grain flat nosed bullet. If I was shooting this cartridge, hand loaded with pointed bullets out of a TC or some other shingle shot I'd look for pretty good mid range preformance.

Jeff
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Spike,

I'd sure go with the rifle configuration. When lever action silhouette was getting started around here a few years back, almost all of us started with a 20" barrel Win 94 carbine. Other than a very few intances the rifle configuration will win any day of the week, and all of us hustled to get 24" and 26" rifles, Marlin 1893's, 1894's, and the Winchester 1894 26" really does well too.

Lever long range silhouette consists of targets 50 meters, 100 meters, 150 meters, and 200 meters, all shot offhand. One local shooter can REALLY shoot a carbine but I think even he would say the rifle wins handsdown.

The .25-35 is interesting too. I think one in a rifle format would fill the bill nicely for you.

My 2 cents.

Geoff
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

2 cent’s worth from someone who has one.

The 25-35 Win. is one of the sweetest little rounds out there.
(very under rated IMHO)
I have found it to be extremely accurate, and a joy to shoot.
My Win. 94 rifle was made in 1903. it has a trigger pull to die for.
Not so sure I would push it to 200yrds. for deer though.
Around these parts within 50 to 60 yrd. is where most deer are harvested.