Range Day - '86 & '92 Silhouette

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Range Day - '86 & '92 Silhouette

Post by Old Ironsights »

So, yesterday I knocked together some untested loads for the .357 (358156HP over 7gr N340) and a pile of almost untested loads for the .45/70 (300gr Laser Cast over 50.6gr Varget) (I shot 6 of these last time I went out...)

I figure both were pushing the 1400fps mark, but I hadn't chrony'd them.

This morning I went to a nearby Silhouette Club to shoor some steel.

Didn't do too bad for a first timer: Low 30s for the .357, but was pleased to find out I could knock down 7 of 10 Rams at 200M with the buckhorns on the 1886... 8) (edit: .45-70 score was 24)

Had to take some advice from Kentucky though. Between the crosswind and not having a Drift Punch with me I had some interesting POAs - since I was hitting about 8" Right at 100M and about 18" Right at 200 :shock: ... (Made my 200M Holdover 6" high, 18" Left... but it worked :wink: )

Could only kill one 175M Turkey though Never got the KW/POA figured out there :oops: . Oh well, I never was much for Birding anyway. :lol:

Can't wait to get an adjustable sight on it.

Oh, and FWIW, Got 2 Light Primer Hits. Both on the first shot of the series. Gotta get that fixed too.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sounds like you're having fun wth your new '86!

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yah. Never shot Silhouette before. Like it better than Paper.

There were some guys out there with crazy-weird freestyle guns lying all over the place, and I'm just bangign away offhand with the cannon.

It will be nice to actually fine-tune the buckhorns before going out again though.

My Elevation is dead on at 100M, so I've just got to play with a big ShootNSee at 100yds and a drift punch... on a relatively calm day. :wink:

Of course, I have to cast up some boolits to replace the Laser Cast - and the shape/profile of the 457122 is all different, and I will probably b e using 2400, so it will be back to the drawing board.

BTW: Youse guys what use 2400 in the .45-70... Lyman says it needs a poly filler/wad... Is 2400 position sensitive? :?:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

OI, what kind of 86 you shooting?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OI,
As I recall, those Turkeys are the hardest to hit next to the Chickens. Lots of steel, but very narrow. If the windage ain't right, they're just plain EASY to miss! :lol: Score of 30, 1st time out... I'd say that's just plain ole GOOD! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

Old Ironsights wrote:BTW: Youse guys what use 2400 in the .45-70... Lyman says it needs a poly filler/wad... Is 2400 position sensitive? :?:
Old Ironsights,
I shoot 21 grs. of 2400 with a 430 gr. cast bullet in my 45-70s and it doesn't seem position sensitive. I would advise AGAINST using fiber fillers in the .45-70. Some folks have bulged their chambers using them. If you're concerned about powder position, just tip the muzzle up, like most offhand target shooters before firing. Certainly no problems that way!
Glenn
P.S. Above load shoots 1330 fps.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Old Ironsights,

Yep that is a GREAT score, low 30's for the first time out. I 've been shooting for a few years and still hope to break 30 everytime I go to a match. If I make 30 I feel good about my performance. My high was an incredible day when I got 38 out of a 40 round match. We always have 40 round matches. This last match, 4 of us tied at 29 out of 40 for the high score and I CHOKED in the shootoff.

The guys have been doing good here too with the .357 using 180 grainers on the 200 meter rams. Anything less than that load is not reliable on the rams, it seems like.

Geoff
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I believe the NRA Rules Committee made a change to the Big Bore Rams this year. They have to be balanced, on the back end of the rail, so that a 150gr bullet fired from a 20" barrel will knock it down.

I have the Oregon State Championship coming up the first weekend in May. 80 shot Big bore Saturday and 80 shot Pistol Caliber Sunday.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

El Mac wrote:OI, what kind of 86 you shooting?
2001 Davidsons/Winchester Takedown, full Octagon.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

GEOFF wrote:Old Ironsights,

Yep that is a GREAT score, low 30's for the first time out. I 've been shooting for a few years and still hope to break 30 everytime I go to a match. If I make 30 I feel good about my performance. My high was an incredible day when I got 38 out of a 40 round match. We always have 40 round matches. This last match, 4 of us tied at 29 out of 40 for the high score and I CHOKED in the shootoff.

The guys have been doing good here too with the .357 using 180 grainers on the 200 meter rams. Anything less than that load is not reliable on the rams, it seems like.

Geoff
Those shootoff targets are unreal. What are they, 6" rams at 200M? :!:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Old Ironsights wrote:
GEOFF wrote:Old Ironsights,

Geoff
Those shootoff targets are unreal. What are they, 6" rams at 200M? :!:
We just reshoot the turkeys. They're hard enough after a match is complete.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Glenn wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:BTW: Youse guys what use 2400 in the .45-70... Lyman says it needs a poly filler/wad... Is 2400 position sensitive? :?:
Old Ironsights,
I shoot 21 grs. of 2400 with a 430 gr. cast bullet in my 45-70s and it doesn't seem position sensitive. I would advise AGAINST using fiber fillers in the .45-70. Some folks have bulged their chambers using them. If you're concerned about powder position, just tip the muzzle up, like most offhand target shooters before firing. Certainly no problems that way!
Glenn
P.S. Above load shoots 1330 fps.
I have used a fiber fill in my low pressure/low velocity loads for years. I only use enough to keep the powder over the primer. I keep the loaded rounds in the plastic box nose up. This keeps the powder from migrating past the fiber and to the base of the bullet. Ringing can happen by a secondary detonition in the case. If my case is 50% or more full of powder I do not use the fiber fill. I also do not use a fast burning powder, like pistol or SG powder. My powder of choice are Alliant RL-7, SR4759 & 5744.

Fillers are not for some reloaders, especially for the novice. :wink:

There is also a product called Puff-Lon. As a Shooter prize at the Arizona State Champinships of Cowboy Action last year in Tombstone, AZ. I won a bottle of Puff-Lon Ballistic filler. I am still working up a load for my 30-30 using this filler. So far my fiber fill is grouping tighter.

Check it out here:

http://www.pufflon.com
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Ironsights,

Our shootoffs are just like Jdad said, Turkeys, sudden death. Really gets your heart pumping!!!

Keep shooting this silhouette game!! I have enjoyed nothing more than silhouette in my years of shooting. Can't wait until 2nd Saturday in May when we start shooting small bore and pistol cartridge. I'm sorting out a 1955 vintage Marlin 39A that came out of Oregon. Love that rifle!!!

Geoff