History I didn't know about

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

History I didn't know about

Post by jnyork »

Latest version of the Rifleman has an extended article about the war fought between the coal miners and the mine owner's thugs in West Virginia back in the early '20s. I was very surprised at what a large uprising this was and what an armed battle it involved, with sheriff's posses, WWI vets on both sides, even airpower from Billy Mitchell. I had never heard of this before, which surprises me as I am an enthusiastic reader of American history. I know it was not taught in high school or college classes I took.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: History I didn't know about

Post by JerryB »

I have read a little about that. Have you read or seen anything about the battle that took place in Athens Tenn after WW2 the vets one that one.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Check out the movie "Matewan." Based on actual events, filmed in West Virginia. You'll hate the Baldwin Felts thugs and cheer Sheriff Sid Hatfield (who was subsequently murdered on the steps of the court house in a neighboring county.)
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

The subject has been covered in a couple of programs on the History Channel. Of course they never,never cover this or how MacArthur's burning and killing of WWI vets in the Bonus Army march in school. He should have been hung from the highest tree and used as target practice, but as usual practice he got promoted.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The fighting that took place in WV over the union problems was mostly in Mingo county. There is an article about the fighting in the March issue of "The American Rifleman."

Sid Hatfield was gunned down on the courthouse steps in McDowell county.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

There is very little EVER "taught" about how people defended themselves against corruption, government &/or government supported Union Thugs...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just finished reading "The Bully Pulpit" by Doris Kearns Goodwin... about Teddy Roosevelt & William H. Taft... and T.R.'s use of the press to address issues between the rich and labor... in a number of industries and over the course of their lives. A lot of insight into TR and Taft. It touched on this in some detail. Very good book. It's like a textbook, but VERY readable.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hillbillygunsmith
Levergunner

Post by Hillbillygunsmith »

There is some more history involved in the battle at Blair Mountain between the coal miners and the mine owner's hired thugs. Sid Hatfield was the hero of the coal miners because he would not knuckle down or could be bribed when he was the Chief of Police in Matewan, WV. After the gun fight in Matewan where about 5-7 Baldwin-Felts detective agency thugs were killed. Sid became the hero for his role in the gun fight and standing up for miners and their families that the Baldwin-Felts thugs were illegally evicting them from their homes owned by the mining company.
Sid killed two of the brothers of Lee Felts that owned the private detective agency. In revenge Lee felts had his detective thugs ambush Sid Hatfield and the union rep. on the courthouse steps in McDowell County as Sid and the union rep. were preparing to go into court and were unarmed and had their wives with them.

This incident so angered the coal miners that, estimates of 2,000 to 5,000 miners armed themselfs and marched on Mcdowell county to seek revenge. It has been estimated that around 100,000 rounds of ammunition were fired by both sides at the battle of Blair mountain and the fight stopped with federal troops being sent in. This has been the largest uprising in the United States outside of the Civil War in the 1860's.
Prior to attacking the defense positions of the mine owners, the coal miners put on red bandannas around their necks to show they were on the side of the coal miners and prevent the accidental shooting of each other. This was the orgin of the term "Redneck" that is used today. 8)