New 6.5-06 SCORED !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

New 6.5-06 SCORED !

Post by 6pt-sika »

My rebarreled Remington 700BDL 6.5-06 came back from the engraver yesterday (I had the caliber engraved on the side of the barrel). But it still needs to be blued as the barrels carbon steel .

My gunsmith buddy's not going to blue next wednesday as it's the day before Thanksgiving and he's got turkeys to smoke !

So it'll get blued the following week I hope !

I checked some of the remaining loads I had for my previouse 6.5-06 and they chamber in the new gun just fine but then they were both cut with the same chamber reamer .

Might see if I can get some trial loads finished using the Hornady 129 SST next week some time !

It's looking like IMR4350 , IMR4831 , H4831 , RL-19 , RL-22 and possibly Western Hunter will be the powders of choice .

Everything I have left from the other rifle was loaded with H4831SC .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New 6.5-06

Post by Mescalero »

Mine is a Rem. 700 also.
26" medium varmit E.R.Shaw barrel, Blackstar accurizing technique.
Choate ultimate sniper stock
W.R.Weaver T-10
Thanks for the powder tips.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

6pt-sika wrote:My rebarreled Remington 700BDL 6.5-06 came back from the engraver yesterday (I had the caliber engraved on the side of the barrel). But it still needs to be blued as the barrels carbon steel .

My gunsmith buddy's not going to blue next wednesday as it's the day before Thanksgiving and he's got turkeys to smoke !

So it'll get blued the following week I hope !

I checked some of the remaining loads I had for my previouse 6.5-06 and they chamber in the new gun just fine but then they were both cut with the same chamber reamer .

Might see if I can get some trial loads finished using the Hornady 129 SST next week some time !

It's looking like IMR4350 , IMR4831 , H4831 , RL-19 , RL-22 and possibly Western Hunter will be the powders of choice .

Everything I have left from the other rifle was loaded with H4831SC .
Boy you sure have some nice guns! :mrgreen:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Must be something in the water around here. Me and a coworker have been talking about the 6.5 and the various wildcats. I been looking at the 6.5-284, he likes the 6.5-06.
NRA Life Member
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

These sound like the 256 Newton - or are they more "modern?" '
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Did you AI it? Such a sexy looking cartridge. Wish I had a B78 Hiwall in that cal with a tapered octagon barrel.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ted,
6.5 rocks!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

it's the day before Thanksgiving and he's got turkeys to smoke !
what caliber is he going to use to smoke those turkeys?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking about 6.5, or .264, but in the .308 family (243, 260 Rem, 308), now that's a pretty cartridge. 243's too small, 308's too big, the 264 looks just right.

I hear they shoot nicely too. Although I have to admit I don't have any special need for it.

One advantage, availability. With the recent panic, at our store, 30 caliber bullets are long gone, 243 the same, but 264 bullets are all in stock.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yeah,
Ain't it great :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

M. M. Wright wrote:Did you AI it? Such a sexy looking cartridge. Wish I had a B78 Hiwall in that cal with a tapered octagon barrel.
No it just a plain vanilla 6.5-06 .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mescalero wrote:Mine is a Rem. 700 also.
26" medium varmit E.R.Shaw barrel, Blackstar accurizing technique.
Choate ultimate sniper stock
W.R.Weaver T-10
Thanks for the powder tips.
This one was built on my old 62-64 BDL 30-06 .

It has a carbon steel Shilen #3 contour 1-9 twist . At the moment I have it glass bedded in a synthetic Remington BDL stock but I may glass bed it in the old BDL first checkering pattern stock .

This is my second the first I had was built on a 98 action and drove tacks . But I'm just not overly fond of Mauser actions . So some fella in Texas got it from me a couple eyars ago and God knows who has it now !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

TedH wrote:Must be something in the water around here. Me and a coworker have been talking about the 6.5 and the various wildcats. I been looking at the 6.5-284, he likes the 6.5-06.
Ruger is supposedly chambering the #1V in 6.5x284 this year although none have been released to the best of my knowledge .

"If" they come out and I'm able to scrape up the schekels I may very well get one of those !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

El Chivo wrote:I'm thinking about 6.5, or .264, but in the .308 family (243, 260 Rem, 308), now that's a pretty cartridge. 243's too small, 308's too big, the 264 looks just right.

I hear they shoot nicely too. Although I have to admit I don't have any special need for it.

One advantage, availability. With the recent panic, at our store, 30 caliber bullets are long gone, 243 the same, but 264 bullets are all in stock.
I've owned 2 rifles and 2 bolt action pistols that were chambered for the 260 REM cartridge and they all shot GREAT !

I am kinda wanting a left handed Savage 11 in 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor for my wife .

Personally for the 308 based cartridges I truely like the 243 , 260 , 7-08 and the 338 Federal . But I harbor no love for the 308 or 358 !
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I just bought a new 6.5mm rifle too! I finally pick it up day after tomorrow (stinking 10 day waiting period in CA :x ).
It's a left hand short action Savage Model 10 Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. I want to get into NRA High Power Silhouette and this one looked like a good choice for adequate ram-tipping power with light recoil. I got a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 scope with the Dead Hold reticule to top it off.
It's going to be interesting, as all of my other silhouette shooting so far has been with lever action rifles that have iron sights, and this will be my first experience with the 6.5mm caliber. I spent a lot of money, so I sure hope it works!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Shasta wrote:I just bought a new 6.5mm rifle too! I finally pick it up day after tomorrow (stinking 10 day waiting period in CA :x ).
It's a left hand short action Savage Model 10 Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. I want to get into NRA High Power Silhouette and this one looked like a good choice for adequate ram-tipping power with light recoil. I got a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 scope with the Dead Hold reticule to top it off.
It's going to be interesting, as all of my other silhouette shooting so far has been with lever action rifles that have iron sights, and this will be my first experience with the 6.5mm caliber. I spent a lot of money, so I sure hope it works!

SHASTA

I've sold four or five of the Savage LRP's , one Savage LRH and a Savage Lightweight Hunter all in 6.5 Creedmoor . All except the lightweight hunter have been 1/4 MOA rifles for 5 shots at 100 yards . And the Lightweight Hunter was an easy 3/4 MOA for 3 at 100 yards .
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It will.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I am kinda wanting a left handed Savage 11 in 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor for my wife .
A fair trade.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I like the 6.5, I haven't got around to a 6.5-06 yet though. If I ever get around to building a 1000 yard rifle I am pretty sure this is what I will go with.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:D
You are on the path to true enlightenment.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Here in Pennsylvania, we have a rifle club www.ridgwayrifleclub.com that is doing a new style of silhouette shooting. I believe it's the first in the country and the only club in the country to be doing this. !?

Crows are shot at 850 yards. Groundhogs at 900. Bobcats at 950. Coyotes at 1000

I might have the above animals twisted a bit but I'm close.

All matches are 40 shots and are shot from the bench. The record so far is something in the neighborhood of 28 x 40
I watched my buddy Gunny shoot 4 out of 5 crows with a borrowed 6 mm Dasher with a 100 gr. bullet traveling just under 3000.

The cartridge of choice for guys in the know is the 6.5 x .284. Nothing larger than the 338 Lapua is allowed.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

How does this compare to a 25-06?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

BlaineG wrote:How does this compare to a 25-06?
Blaine,
The 6.5 x 06 eats up the 25-06 after 500 meters. The ballistic coefficient holds the bullet in the air longer, faster, bucks the wind better and does it all without the throat erosion of the 25-06. The real trick in a long range rifle is to keep the bullet from dropping below the speed of sound out to the distances to which it will be shot and at the same time, not to be overbore to the point where the barrel will only last 500 rounds. Long range target shooters are finding the 6.5 caliber to be the best in longevity and not having the increased recoil of the larger calibers.

Sure, we all know the 50 BMG, 338 Lapua, or the 30-378 Weatherby would be the cats meow for the long range game, but who can afford to shoot that stuff on a regular basis, not to mention, you would need a 20 pound+ rifle to combat the recoil and the enormous muzzle blast.

That's not me talking above, it's what is told to me by these guys at Ridgway Rifle Club, which by the way probably has more knowledgeable long range shooters in that one club than there is in the whole state of Pa.

Earlier I mentioned that Gunny was shooting this 6mm Dasher. That rifle belongs to a VN vet who spent his time knocking out enemies at great distances. He will usually only talk to military guys and will quiet up when a guy like me comes into the talking circle, so that's why I keep "The Gunny" around. :D

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:How does this compare to a 25-06?
I have a couple 25-06's and a 280 REM as well as a 270 WIN . But I had a 6.5-06 before and wanted another .

You can pretty much make all four of them do the same things .

The 25-06 has the edge when shooting groundhog bullets and in my opinion the 280 has the edge when shooting deer bullets .

Can't really say why I just like 6.5mm/264's !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:Here in Pennsylvania, we have a rifle club http://www.ridgwayrifleclub.com that is doing a new style of silhouette shooting. I believe it's the first in the country and the only club in the country to be doing this. !?

Crows are shot at 850 yards. Groundhogs at 900. Bobcats at 950. Coyotes at 1000

I might have the above animals twisted a bit but I'm close.

All matches are 40 shots and are shot from the bench. The record so far is something in the neighborhood of 28 x 40
I watched my buddy Gunny shoot 4 out of 5 crows with a borrowed 6 mm Dasher with a 100 gr. bullet traveling just under 3000.

The cartridge of choice for guys in the know is the 6.5 x .284. Nothing larger than the 338 Lapua is allowed.-----6
I just might be intrested in trying that sometime !

That Savage F Class rifle in 6.5x284 would be a good middle of the road starting rifle for this game !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well my gunsmith buddy dropped my barreled action over in the blue tank last wednesday !

Low and behold the Shilen barrel wasn't taking the blue !

Turned ot I have a Shilen barrels thats maked carbon steel but in reality it's stainless !

So we bead blasted the barrel and it actually looks pretty decent I think .

And no I have not shot it yet .

Sorry the pics aren't the greatest .

Thats a older Leupold Vari XIII 6.5-20AO 40mm with atarget dot I use for working up loads .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I'm done with the load work the 6.5-20 will come off and I'll replace it with the Leupold Vari XIII 4.5-14x40AO thats on my Ruger #1B 257 Bob !

With a little luck the load work will be done and the gun will be sighted in with the other scope by saturday !
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

6 point,
Without me doing an hours worth of Googling and asking strangers, what is the practical difference between the 6.5-06 and the 6.5 x .284? What has more case capacity?

It's really weird how the 6.5 caliber has been almost neglected the whole time I've been alive and now it appears to be the cat's meow for the long range boys, even more than the 7 mag.----6

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:6 point,
Without me doing an hours worth of Googling and asking strangers, what is the practical difference between the 6.5-06 and the 6.5 x .284? What has more case capacity?

It's really weird how the 6.5 caliber has been almost neglected the whole time I've been alive and now it appears to be the cat's meow for the long range boys, even more than the 7 mag.----6

Okay I was always told the 280 REM and the 284 WIN were pretty much the same thing . So without me doing water volume tests etc I would say the 6.5-06 and the 6.5x284 are pretty much the same thing . I think to the long range target type guys the 6.5x284 more closely resembles the PPC BR mentality of short fat powder column or however they explian it .

I have no qualms with either cartridge if truth be known . In the past I've been high on the 260 REM (and still am) however a good many folks extoll the virtues of the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5x47 Lapua . And again I think the Creedmoor's big selling point is a longer neck and again the shorter and fatter powder column . Not as much sure about the Lapua case but I have a feeling over time I will find out from personal experience .

Let me say for a number of years I have been an advocate of most all of the 6mm , 6,5mm , 7mm and 8mm cartridges . Not withstanding I like the .22 , .257 , .338 and .375 cartridges as well .

About 15-20 years ago I tried darned near every commercially available 7mm cartridge and I still like them plenty but right now the 6.5mm intrests me more .

McWhorter Custom Rifles in Albany Georgia took the 270 Weatherby case and necked it down to 6.5mm and called it the 6.5mm Weatherby . This thing in reality has nothing on the 264 Win Mag , 6.5x68 or the 6.5x65 RWS however I would very much like to try both of the european offerings and the McWhorter cartridge as well !

I see Nosler is bringing out a new 6.5mm cartridge using I think the 375 Ruger case necked down . That ones most likely a flame thrower but once again I would like to find out for myself 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

While this means virtually nothing to most folks . In my game ledger the cartridge I've killed the most deer with has been the 260 REM , second most the 7mm Rem Mag . When you go by caliber 6.5mm is still first when you add my totals for the 260 , 6.5-06 and 264 Win Mag . And again 7mm is second with totals from the 7 Mag , 280 Rem and 7mm-08 .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a fellow I know bring a Blaser 93 barrel the other day for me to sell on Gunbroker for him . Wish I had a Blaser as I would have bought the barrel it's chambered for the 6.5x284 !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:It's really weird how the 6.5 caliber has been almost neglected the whole time I've been alive and now it appears to be the cat's meow for the long range boys, even more than the 7 mag.----6
If you look back in the Gun Digest from 1971 to maybe 1977 you can read a bit about the 1.000 yard shooters at Williamsport and a good many used the 300 Weatherby necked down to 7mm AND 6.5mm . The Drummond guys also in the same area of PA made a name for themselves back then blowing out the shoulders on the Weatherby cases and some fo what they did was with 6.5mm stuff . Again this wasn't mainstream gun intrest but there were competitive guys that used the 6.5's back in the day when I was a good bit younger .

BAck when I hunted the Poconos with my buds from Doylestown I used the little Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic 260 REM I had and those guys used to give me piles and piles of s...h...i...t about the gun . Now my two buds live in the state of Wyoming and one of them's #1 rifle is a Krieger barreled 700 in 260 REM , the other one has a Savage 16 in 6.5x284 go figure !
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

6 point,
That was quite a response. Thank you! Yea, I kinda thought the two were pretty close and the reason most go to the 6.5 284 is the short powder column thingy.

Hey, how about the 8 mm mag necked down to 6.5? It's sure a smoker just as the 7mm STW. That's about as overbore as you can get ad barrels only last 7 or 8 hundred. My bud at Atglen gun club burned up a 6.5 284 in 900 rds just last summer. ---6

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

That was quite a response. Thank you! Yea, I kinda thought the two were pretty close and the reason most go to the 6.5 284 is the short powder column thingy.

Hey, how about the 8 mm mag necked down to 6.5? It's sure a smoker just as the 7mm STW. That's about as overbore as you can get ad barrels only last 7 or 8 hundred. My bud at Atglen gun club burned up a 6.5 284 in 900 rds just last summer. ---6
Layne Simpson actually did the 6.5mm STW a few years back . He never called it a throat burner but I'm sure it's gotta be hard .

The Ultra Mag cased necked down would be a little better if velocity were your only consideration as well as the 30-378 Weatherby case . I had a bunch of cases that were overbore sitting here for this exact reason .

Funny you mention the 8mm Rem Mag . I had a 700 BDL for that when I was 13 or 14 . I wish I still had it . Also a rebarrel of a Ruger #1B in that would be quite intresting .

I've often thought if I went back to a two rifle battery a 6.5mm and a 8mm or 338 would be about right . 260 and 338 Federal , 6.5-06 and 8mm-06 or 338-06 . Or possibly a 264 Win Mag with a 8mm Rem Mag or 338 Win Mag .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

For a guy that shoots competitively or even semi a barrel burn out in one summer could be a pretty regular thing . Generally when I get a rifle that intrests me alot I might shoot it 200 times working up a load and after that it might be shot 30 times a year , that being 6-12 for sight in each year and the remainder for deer or whatever animal I shot with it !

My Ruger #1B factory 264 Win Mag has been fired perhaps 100 times with no ill effects . And of that total 3 or 4 were on deer . It started with the Hornady 129 SST and at the moment I have it going with the Berger 130 VLD Hunting Match bullet . If I didn't want to use different bullets in most rifles I could cut down my number of rounds fired by half easily .

I had a rather nice circa 1960 Winchester Pre 64 Model 70 standerdweight in 264 Win Mag . It had been fired a fair amount before I got it . And I shot maybe 200 rounds through it working up loads with the Nosler 120 BT and the Sierra 85 grain . None of them were throttled back as I was trying to get all the speed I could . And that gun was easily 3/4 MOA with those two bullets . I suspect a decent percentage of the hunting guns people say are burned out in actuality aren't .

I remmember reading an article Jim Carmichael wrote in Outdoor Life many years ago about a Shilen DGA rifle he had in 220 Swift . He said the gun when he got it was a consistent 1/4 MOA gun and before he wrote the article and after 7000 logged rounds he was still shooting 1/2 MOA . He also said 95% of the loads were at or close to max as this was his varmint rifle . After removing the barrel he opened the chamber so you could see the throat and it looked like a Weatherby freebore except with alligator skin . Just goes to show what we most consider gone is still capable . Now granted your friends rifle if for competition would very well need to be swapped out if like that . But for most of us , shooting out a deer or groundhog barrel ain't to likely even if we shoot a good bit .
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

6pt-sika wrote:
And again I think the Creedmoor's big selling point is a longer neck and again the shorter and fatter powder column .
6.5 Creedmoor was developed because at the time competitive shooters were really discovering the benefits of the .260 Remington, but it had a few drawbacks at the time - mostly that there was no factory match ammo available, to speak of, there was a lack of match-quality brass, and with certain loads and match bullets it could be long for AR-10 style magazines that are commonly used in competition rifles.

The 6.5 Creedmoor was designed to put .260 Rem performance in a shorter OAL to be magazine-friendly and to provide competitive shooters with high-quality, inexpensive, factory loaded match ammo. It almost reaches the performance potential of the .260 Rem, even with the shorter case (and the case design can increase consistency).

Now there is a lot better ammo and brass available for the .260, and for hunting the .260 might have some slight advantages, and for competitive shooting in certain rifles the Creedmoor might have some slight advantages, but the two are pretty close.

I have spoken with some of the guys who are (or were) calling the shots at Hornady, and they are really sharp, with a finger on the pulse of current shooting trends, and the willingness to innovate or change at the drop of a hat. There is a reason why we have seen Hornady go from more of a small specialty manufacturer to threatening the positions of the big three ammo manufacturers. So now with the 6.5 Creedmoor we have great options for both factory match and factory hunting ammo from Hornady.

For hunting, to get the same velocities as the .260 from the Creedmoor or Lapua cartridges requires much higher pressures, especially in the Lapua cartridge. Creedmoor is pretty close to the .260. I went with the .260 partly because at the time there was no factory hunting loads for the Creedmoor, but mainly because I had a .260 barrel that came from the factory with a small cosmetic ding. I ordered it for a customer who returned it when he found the ding, and no one would buy at after that.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Everyone who has ever hunted with a 6.5mm for any length of time loves them. They always say the same things - they just really kill things dead, and they are really accurate. There must be something to it, because everyone who has used them a lot agrees.

Why the 6.5s are so great:

The Swedish Mausers are one of the prettiest Mausers ever built. And they shoot nice.

The 6.5s generally have less recoil - everyone will shoot a lighter recoiling rifle better. This is an indisputable fact. The more experienced a shooter is, the smaller the difference will be, almost imperceptible for well trained/experienced shooters, but it is there. It can make a very noticeable difference for a novice shooter.

The 6.5s can shoot the heaviest, longest bullets for the caliber. This means better BCs and SDs than you can get shooting something like a .308 or .30-06.

Better BCs mean better accuracy potential and flatter trajectories. Better SDs mean great terminal performance.

The 6.5s tend to have trajectories like a .300 WM or better. At longer ranges, they tend to have more velocity that a .300 WM, which means better performance on game with many hunting bullets.

6.5s are affected around half as much by wind (depending on the bullet) than .30 calibers. This means that a mistake in judging wind is only half as much at any given range. This means a mistake in windage that would mean a wounded animal with a .308 might still be a clean kill with a 6.5mm.

The reasonable cartridges like .260 Rem have very good barrel life.

I have a .260 Remington - a DPMS barrel on a rifle built on a CMMG Mk3 lower. Black Hills sent me 300 rounds of their 139 gr. Lapua Scenar Match ammo to test in the rifle, since it was designed for and tested with bolt actions.

The rifle shot great with that stuff and I bought more. That ammo shoots like a laser and is dead accurate. Also totally reliable in the semi-auto rifle (see photo below). My kids love to shoot it, too.
http://blackhillsammo.wordpress.com/201 ... ua-scenar/

I think the 6.5 Grendel is the best multi-purpose cartridge for the AR platform, and I also have a 6.5x55 Swedish M96 Mauser, of course, because everyone should.

As indicated by posts in this thread, people who have 6.5s buy more 6.5s . . .
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yup,
And we generally, ( if discrete) like me; laugh to ourselves as others extoll the virtues of thier calibers.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We had a customer come in a few months back and wanted to build a left handed rifle for his future son in law . Kinda police tactical 308 .

So the only left hand 700 action we could find at the time was a new Remington 700 SPS LH Youth in 243 . So everything was removed from the action and he went on with his build . Today he sold me the synthetic stock and the barrel for a little of nothing . I sold the barrel to another friend and ended up with the stock for free .And I plan to build my wife a LH 700 .

Now I need to find a left handed 700 short action rifle in 243 or 308 . Then I'll get a Shilen stainless #2 or #3 barrel and chamber it in 260 REM or 6.5 Creedmoor . Think I want her rifle to have a 20" barrel .
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

6pt-sika wrote:
I have a couple 25-06's and a 280 REM as well as a 270 WIN . But I had a 6.5-06 before and wanted another .

You can pretty much make all four of them do the same things .

The 25-06 has the edge when shooting groundhog bullets and in my opinion the 280 has the edge when shooting deer bullets .

Can't really say why I just like 6.5mm/264's !

Cause they're better. :D

That's cool that you got a SS barrel, too.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Popped the cherry on my Remington 700 BDL 6.5-06 this afternoon !

Had a 3 point whitetail come up to about 36 yards of me and of course the 6.5-06 shooting the Berger 130 VLD Hunting bullet pushed with 53 grains of RL-22 did a fine job . The deer ran maybe 25 yards after the shot and when I opened him up the heart for lack of a better word was EXPLODED !

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New 6.5-06 SCORED !

Post by wolfdog »

Good for you! I love 6.5, by far the 6.5x55 has killed more deer for me than any of the other calibers I have, most of which never took a step after the shot.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: New 6.5-06 SCORED !

Post by Blaine »

I was watching a movie about Grendel and his Mother last night.....That cartridge is aptly named, evidently... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV