Pics-old Winchester '94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
eboggs
Levergunner

Pics-old Winchester '94

Post by eboggs »

Hello everyone, new here, Figured since this is a "Leverguns" forum youd enjoy seeing a Lever Gun :D ....

This has been in my family since the sixties, its had a wild ride, was my dads first gun at 16....and now its mine, It looks as though the stock was sanded at some point, and im not sure if the ammo tube is original, as its bluing is more intact than the rest of the rifle, but this was all done before it came into my dads life...Serial number puts its birthday in 1909....if only it could talk....oh and she still shoots, occasionally....check out the caliber in the last pic. :wink:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Pics-old Winchester '94

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome, very interesting - great cartridge.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire..GREAT first post........ :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum! Excellent 1st post!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Interesting old SRC with gum wood furniture. Had one just like it (had the orignal ladder sight and ring, too) back in the early 60's. Love the 25-35.

Wonder why the flat milled into the front of the receiver?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

"Wonder why the flat milled into the front of the receiver?".....AaaaaaGrashopper NOW We all Need to Know . Thank You. 8) .
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

My first guess was to put a long rear sight on. The original carbine sight (often called ladder sight) are pretty short, and the dovetail is farther back than guns intended for the "rifle" type sights.

Looks like it has a Marlin sight on it now, the stamped sheet metal one. It needs a better sight!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

airedaleman wrote:Interesting old SRC with gum wood furniture. Had one just like it (had the orignal ladder sight and ring, too) back in the early 60's. Love the 25-35.

Wonder why the flat milled into the front of the receiver?
Sure looks like it was done for a scope.... though I don't remember seeing such long relief scopes as old as that modification looks. Could well be wrong about that though, I'm not much of a scope guy.

My new 1894 has that same flat, but filed all the way across the receiver. The sights are similarly filed lower on mine, so I figure someone was using it for really low power loads.
1894.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

HI & WELCOME

Great looking old 25-35, Love that little cartridge
In fact I may take one Antelope hunting tonight

ollogger
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Malamute wrote:My first guess was to put a long rear sight on. The original carbine sight (often called ladder sight) are pretty short, and the dovetail is farther back than guns intended for the "rifle" type sights.

Looks like it has a Marlin sight on it now, the stamped sheet metal one. It needs a better sight!

He's right! So obvious now that he's said it! :lol:

Just look at where the point of the elevator ends up if you were to put it on the top notch :mrgreen:
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That gun is way cool!
eboggs
Levergunner

Post by eboggs »

Now you guys have me intrigued, never thought about the rear sight not being original...Is there anywhere I can go for reference? It will never be sold, but id be curious to see what is and isn't original on it.

...and that little notch on the top front of the receiver, after looking at some pictures, I havent seen another with that... :?: the patina is consistent with the rest of the receiver too. However when I put the rear sight at max height, the sight adjuster (for lack of a better term) enters the milled spot.

Man now im confused about this little guy.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Welcome aboard. What great family treasure. Nice caliber too.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

This link has a picture of an early type carbine sight and shows how much closer to the receiver they sit than the rifle type sights which were used on later carbines.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467176

If you decide to put an original type sight on, sit down before you see the price of them.
Last edited by Malamute on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
kevind6
Levergunner

Post by kevind6 »

eboggs wrote:Now you guys have me intrigued, never thought about the rear sight not being original...Is there anywhere I can go for reference? It will never be sold, but id be curious to see what is and isn't original on it.

...and that little notch on the top front of the receiver, after looking at some pictures, I havent seen another with that... :?: the patina is consistent with the rest of the receiver too. However when I put the rear sight at max height, the sight adjuster (for lack of a better term) enters the milled spot.

Man now im confused about this little guy.
Here is an auction for a 94 SRC with an original rear ladder and front sight:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =371533175

The front sight on your SRC looks to be original to me but your rear sight was clearly a replacement. The dove tail groove in the SRC's were made to accommodate the shorter 1 7/8" sights. I too believe your receiver was milled down at some later date to accept the more standard 2 3/4" sight.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

game keeper wrote:Welcome to the fire..GREAT first post........ :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome to the Forum eboggs. Stick around and sit a spell. Nice old Winny, Iv'e seen several with a nice Mag Tube and silver barrel. It' what is on the inside that counts.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
1894c

Post by 1894c »

HELLO...great levergun and cartridge...pics are awesome... :)
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome to the fire. Great first post. "Family" guns are just the best.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pictures. The final say would come in the form of letter from Cody.

BTW, how does she shoot?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
eboggs
Levergunner

Post by eboggs »

Some pics of inside the mag tube. And underside of barrel.