Need forum members opinion on this 1886

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shiloh505
Levergunner

Need forum members opinion on this 1886

Post by shiloh505 »

Gentleman,
I have an opportunity to buy this 1886 in 45/70. It is a takedown model and the barrel is marked "nickel steel". I don't know much about this model and I would appreciate opinions as to a fair value to pay for it. Serial number indicates 1909 manufacture date. Can this fire modern 45/70 ammo?

Thanks for your help
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need forum members opinion on this 1886

Post by pwl44m »

Those Screws look Untouched by Human Screwup drivers. Caint tell U a Price but a Whole bunch would be My estimate.That Gun would part out for more than 2k if it is all original.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

That gun would (if deemed sound by a gunsmith) most certainly be able to handle virtually ALL OEM .45-70 fare since almost all OEM ammo is loaded to Trapdoor Springfield specs... and that gun will handle much more than that.

As for value?

Anything less than one Small Child, or half an arm and a leg would be a deal...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Details?: barrel length 26"?; it looks round, is it? Is the wood refinished? 'Cause it looks awful shiney. Was the metal originally CCH'd? Any left on the receiver or lever, hammer, etc.? The little bit of rust (looks like some on the receiver in the pics), but from what I see in the pics, I'd say in the $1,300-2,000 range. I know that's a rather wide spread, but... 1 - it is a take-down; 2 - condition is just about everything and it's sometimes hard to judge that from pics alone. If the barrel hasn't been messed with and rifling looks fairly sharp and clean, maybe just carried a lot and fired little. Is the muzzle good and crisp... no dents, gouges or burrs to mess up the crown? All those would be factors to determine where in that range it might fall. If the wood is original, not refinished, it could bring a little more.

Is that what you wanted to hear?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That '86 is an extra lightweight with a special order full length mag. It was originally blued.

The steel that was used to make the extra lightweight was a world apart from the earlier steel used. It will handle any load easily to 28k in pressure.

That gun is a well used specimen, but does not mean it is not safe, so, as long as there is no heavy pitting, it will be good to go with any factory ammo, (except that Buffalo Bore stuff) or hand loads like I said, up to and including 28k. Even at 28k, you will still have a large margin of error. The strength of that rifle is only slightly below what the Model 71 can handle.

That rifle is worth an easy 13-16.

I got four of that variation of the 86 and all of them have been used for hunting with stiff loads. The earlier 1886's are also strong but loosen up more readily than the later 86's.

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

If I had to give 2k for a rifle like that, I wouldn't blink too hard--- lifes too short to quibble over a few bucks and that is a neat specimen (but hope you can get it for a bit less if possible)
----- Doug
shiloh505
Levergunner

Post by shiloh505 »

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I sincerely appreciate the information. If anyone else wants to offer an opinion I'll sure listen. It is priced at 2,000 so from what I'm reading that may be a bit high if I understand your responses correctly? One said $1300 to $2000 another said $2000. I wouldn't want to part it out. I'm actually looking for a nice functional 1873 (original Winchester) in a caliber that will handle modern ammo but I may settle for this. Thanks again for all your help.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mr Shiloh,
I don't know how old you are but I remember very well when that rifle could be had for $$500 and that was in the eighties. That 86 could be had for a grand about 10 years ago.

There are 155,000 or so 1886's that were made.

There are nearly 5 times as many 1873's made

Like I said 13-16 easily, so 2 g's may be top retail price today but next year it will be a good buy.------Sixgun

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

shiloh505 wrote:Thanks to all of you for your responses. I sincerely appreciate the information. If anyone else wants to offer an opinion I'll sure listen. It is priced at 2,000 so from what I'm reading that may be a bit high if I understand your responses correctly? One said $1300 to $2000 another said $2000. I wouldn't want to part it out. I'm actually looking for a nice functional 1873 (original Winchester) in a caliber that will handle modern ammo but I may settle for this. Thanks again for all your help.

2k sounds fair to me --- perhaps on the high side of fair --- but if it was left to the Gunbroker clowns , they would want $3500 for an original 1886 TD ---- I am most assuredly not in the same league as 6Gun regarding familiarity with these vintage firearms , but 2k today may actually be worth 3500 - 5k in a few short years -- I have seen it happen with a couple of Colt Pythons I own. what was purchased for less than 1k apiece has now doubled since 2009

I will share another tale :

a friend of mine who is a vintage car collector -- not garden variety mustangs or Camaros, the guy likes the big money rides ---- a certain LAmbo Miura that was not that expensive (relatively speaking) at the time was on e-bay motors for 96,000 with a day or 2 left in the bidding. My friend contacted the owner and offered him $116,000 to end the auction early and the strategy worked --- This was 6 years ago. He was asked by others whether it occurred to him that he could have saved a few thou by riding the auction out and the reply was -- "its off the market, its mine, and i'm happy" ---- today the car is worth roughly 350k --------- people always say junk like "its only worth what someone will pay for it" - and that is applicable in a lot of areas in life, but not necessarily in vintage cars or vintage lever guns

---- that 2k for that rifle may turn into the best 2k you ever spent -- but unlike the high dollar vintage car you are afraid to drive, you can shoot a rifle like that every day
----- Doug
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Streetstar,
Sure is nice to hear good ole common sense today. :D -------------6

rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

That's worth 2k any day.. Train wrecks bring a grand 1500 and that gun is far from that as long as it is in original cond. front sight and if the take down is tight grab it
guys its a 45/70 not a 38/56 or 33
^
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I would pay it. If you keep it two years you will be out from under any amount you think you overpaid by. Every time I've walked away from a gun over some quibbling amount of money I've ended up being sorry. And after a few short years the money seems laughable. I'm embarrassed of some of em. :oops:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

From what the pictures show looks to be in good condition, 1909 serial number and nickel steel barrel seems right, takedown, speciel order full length mag, and 45/70.......................Buddy what the hell are you waiting for, beg, borrow or steal to get the money but don't let it get away, check out Cabela's or Leroy Merz they would want 3k's plus.
If you don't get it you will be sorry for ever, and look at it this way you will always get you money back or a little better. Go Man Go.
And let us know how you go. winchester1886
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

pwl44m wrote:Those Screws look Untouched by Human Screwup drivers. Caint tell U a Price but a Whole bunch would be My estimate.That Gun would part out for more than 2k if it is all original.
Perry
That hilarious. I thought something looked different but couldn't figure out out till yer "screwup driver" comment. The not messed up screwheads sure make a rifle look cleaner though.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

If you could get it at 13-16 as Six has suggested, it would be a steal. I do not believe 2000 is out of line. I see them priced more than that everywhere. It will always be worth more in the future. 86's that were bringing 1500 a few years ago are double that and more now. An 86 45-70 lightweight with a full magazine is also a bit unusual. Most were partial or half mags

There are no complete pictures of the buttstock. If a recoil pad has been added or the stock altered, value overall goes down drastically.

A Winchester Collector
1894c

Post by 1894c »

life is way too short...buy it...ok my work here is done... :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Funny things this gun should come up. A bud of mine was walking around the same gun at the Allentown, Pa. Show ......it had the standard half mag......but was reblued, but very nicely done with beautiful 1X wood with a Lyman 21 sight, which is a $500 sight itself, mint bore, takedown, sharp lettering, overall a very nice looking rifle despite the reblue job

He was asking 2500, was offered 2 g's, turned it down.----6