guide guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

guide guns

Post by two bit okie »

Just because........... would it be possible to get a longer mag tube for a marlin guide gun and have it reach to the end of the barrel. I dont care about the one extra shot, but that short tube us fugly, and then some.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: guide guns

Post by Mescalero »

:o :shock: :lol:
You know, I thought that about my stainless when I bought it.
But I kept my mouth shut.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Lots of folks have done that. Some have gone as far as machining a blank to the contour of the barrel to better hide the mortice. I like the idea also but never enough to actually have it done.

TomF
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

RIHMFIRE wrote:you mean like this one
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... 895SBL.asp
Hmmmm... I may just have to get one of them replacement tubes...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I've thought about that too. I have a 444P Outfitter and I think that it would look much better with a full length mag tube.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Let me see , I had a pair of the 1895G's a pair of the 444P's a pair of the 336D's , a 1895M , a 1894P , a 1894CP and a 1894 SS LTD 45 Colt .

All had the short tube except the three 1894's with the 16 1/2" barrels . I actually like the short tube . So all of the ones mentioned were as the factory sent them when they left my accumulation !

I do not like altering this stuff for two reasons . Even though I use everything I buy I also kinda sorta collect them , so change doesn't help collector value .

I have however gone over a few things in my present 444 collection . One rifle got chopped to 19" , reblued and refinished , another that I couldn't stand the lack of blueing got reblued and refinished . My circa 2001 444 got restocked but I have the original stock wrapped in bubble wrap in the bottom of a gun cabinet to replace should I decide to sell the rifle .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm pretty sure someone on this forum HAS done the very thing you describe. You might try searching for 'guide gun' and 'full length magazine' or combinations like that. I remember seeing pictures of it. Looked nice, too.

What I think is really strange is how with the "XLR" Marlins, the .444 Marlin holds one MORE round than the .45-70 one, but I see no difference in tube length nor enough difference in cartridge overall length, to account for it... :?:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Anything is possible, and as mentioned quite a few have done it. But, one of the Guide Guns benefits over say the Cowboy model is that it weighs less. Before you do it (and this is how I decided not to do it) tape the extra rounds under the barrel. Then with the rifle fully loaded, see how it handles. I found that it was not as "manuverable". Not only did it come to the shoulder slower, and swing slower, but I had a tendancy to overshoot when moving the rifle thru an arc, as when leading a moving animal.

And, other than looking cool, it's unlikely you'll be fending off a gang of outlaw bikers with one (I was going to say zombies, as that's the current craze, but it's overdone). I did find that hanging spare rounds in a buttcuff, didn't have the same ill effects. So, I've got the extra rounds should those bikers show up way back in the trees, but I don't pay the same penalty.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You can order the 26" long Cowboy magazine tube, spring & hanger, then cut a dovetail slot in the bottom of the barrel near the muzzle for the hanger after cutting the mag tube to length.

Here's fellow board member Denerius' MX gun:

This is board member Salvo's "Pugsie", IIRC:

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Holy carp Pete,
He makes that gun look small!
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

pugsly just looks ornry, but thats what I want. I cant hunt anymore thanks to bad knees, but to my redneck eyes, that short mag tube as ugly as a wort on young Ann Margerts face.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I agree that the short tube is not really aesthetically pleasing, but as we all heard in that famous movie, "Ugly is as ugly does." And to me, my guide gun works just fine. I don't buy my guns because they are pretty. I buy them to shoot.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

two bit okie wrote:Just because........... would it be possible to get a longer mag tube for a marlin guide gun and have it reach to the end of the barrel. I dont care about the one extra shot, but that short tube us fugly, and then some.
I favor the shorten the barrel idea, but'cept I cannot bring myself to chop my GS because the thing is so amazingly functional as it is. I would love to have a trapper length guide gun, but my daughter won't let me amputate hers so I'm in WAIT_STATE.

Grizz
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've extended 3 of the standard 1895's magazine tubes at various times. I'm not a fan of the shorter magazine tubes. I used a sight blank to fill the old slot, and filed it to fit the contour of the barrel. I did it before the longer tubes were available, splicing the tubes together was the hardest part. It would be pretty simple if a tube was available.

I much prefer the gun with the full length magazine. I couldn't tell any difference in handling.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
1894c

Post by 1894c »

two bit okie wrote:pugsly just looks ornry, but thats what I want. I cant hunt anymore thanks to bad knees, but to my redneck eyes, that short mag tube as ugly as a wort on young Ann Margerts face.
who's Anne Margert..?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You serious?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mescalero wrote:You serious?
Probably. (Unfortunately)... :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Who's Ann Margret. That's a good one!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

336bl wrote:
two bit okie wrote:pugsly just looks ornry, but thats what I want. I cant hunt anymore thanks to bad knees, but to my redneck eyes, that short mag tube as ugly as a wort on young Ann Margerts face.
who's Anne Margert..?
Wait a minute. It looks like your avatar is Jack Webb, and you don't know who Ann Margert is? Okay, have you ever seen Viva Las Vegas, or Bye Bye Birdie? Try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZjApxqYcGQ
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Did you ever see the John Wayne movie, The Train Robbers? Ann Margret was in it. She was beautiful, could sing and dance, rode motorcycles, and had naturally red hair.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Mescalero wrote:Holy carp Pete,
He makes that gun look small!
:lol: That's my buddy Keith, he does make Pugslie look really small!

Here's the link of the work in "The one sticky" at the top of the page.
http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org ... _mods.html
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I had this made from an XLR a couple years before Marlin came up with the SBL model. I had it cut and recrowned to 18" with an extended tube, put on a WW lever and XS sights and rail with a quick release EER Leupold. It's a great handling elk rifle in dense woods and still good for longer shots with the scope. The longer tube doesn't really add much weight and you don't have to load it up all the way if it is an issue.
I've taken three elk with it, 30 yards, 100 yards and 150 yards.