New Horse Owner (now with pics)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

New Horse Owner (now with pics)

Post by Rube Burrows »

So, Finally got our back 20 acres fenced in and Im surprising my kids with a couple horses for Christmas. Saturday I went and picked up two horses. One is a 9 year old who is really really good with kids and will be a great horse for them to learn on......me too I suppose. I have rode horses when younger but its been a long time for me also, other than a trail ride from time to time.

The second horse is a young 23 month old fellow who will need work but is very friendly. The guy wanted to sell them as a package because he was moving to a place in town with no land.

They are healthy horses with all vaccines up to date. They are a little under fed at the time since he has been living in town for the last 3 months they have mostly only ate grass. They are at my father in laws field now getting fed properly and I am very happy because my kids have wanted a horse for a while now and they have NO idea that they are getting one.

I must say, Im very happy also and cant help but want to buy me a rifle scabbard for my lever gun.

I'll try to get some pics soon.

They are Quarter horse but the little one is Quarter horse and Tenn Walker mix. He has the most beautiful trot.

The young horse has the name of Trigger and they called the older one Man Man.....and that will have to grow on me.

Please feel free to give me any tips that might help me in my new ownership.

Also, interested in learning about more traditional old west saddles.

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Horse Owner (now with pics)

Post by Rube Burrows »

These are the pics that the guy sent me who was selling them. When I got there the horses were muddy and the mains were matted up. They def need some TLC but my main concern was them being healthy and gentle with the kids. They are that indeed.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Like any "herd" animal... there will be an adjustment period while they get used to their new "herd". Your family being that herd. Regardless of what other pets may be like, horses are vertically structured, socially. The only place for a smaller (physically) person is at the head of the herd. Do you will have to be the dominate herd animal with your kids right behind you. All placed higher in the horses' minds (which are tiny, so what they know, they know very well, even if it's not very much). That dominance will be challenged, at the beginning and again from time to time... don't let that put you off...

If you've never owned horses before, either seek the help of a professional trainer (more for you than the horses if they're already broke), or other knowledgeable horse owners in your area to assist and guide you thru this phase of ownership. I was lucky, in that my vet lived across the road from me, and with his help and several of his friends (all members of our Sheriff's Posse, I quickly passed thru this "novice horse owner" phase with few to little mistakes. One thing that helped a lot, was that at the time John Lyons had a Saturday morning show on tv with each week devoted to one problem after another. It sure seemed that it was my horses he was giving the show for, as each week he seemed to be discussing the problem I was having. The best of the series, (maybe because it had such long lasting effects for me) was the segment on teaching your horse to load in a trailer! One of my then new horses was the absolute worst about loading. After that show, I never had the same problems again... well, that couldn't be remedied in 5 minutes with a refresher!

Good luck, and know that if you picked good'uns, you've got many years of enjoyment ahead of you!

Ok, when you're ready for mounted cowboy shootin' let me know! I have a few hints there also! :lol: :lol: 8)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oh yea, on saddles... pm me. That is a book length subject.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Give em some grain and TLC and they`ll be fine horses, grats Rube very nice. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Looks like a good start, Love that setting with the Pond but Barbed Wire is Taboo while I realize this is not Their eventual Home. Your KIds are going to be Sooooo surprised. DO Not forget Pics on CHRISTmas day, whether You share them or not they will be priceless for years to come. On the Name Man Man- I would let the Kids rename Him, He will get used to it. Yepper, looks like they need some Grub.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

don't be too generous with good grade chow at first,
bring them up slowly. a sudden change from a poor
diet to a rich one may cause intestinal distress,
[colic, scours. etc.].

then look up some of the guys teaching harmony with
horses,

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/think-h ... 1101050726

ray hunt, john lyons. lots of others. i grew up with the old time
bronc twister mentality, but for the last 20 years or so have
been leaning more this way. it's also easier on the old man's body[mine].

good luck,hope you do well in this. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Griff.....thanks for the info. The older one went right in the trailer when we loaded them up. The little one was very scared and showed just how strong he was. Nearly jerked me out of my boots. He finally went on in. He is a very curious little guy and I can tell with some love and lots of attention he will make a fine horse.

The older one is fine with whatever we want to do. He just loves attention of any kind.

I'll Pm you on the saddles. Mine came with a very nice saddle but one day I would like to get a more old style ......just for my own piece of mind.

I did find a nice channel on Directv that has lots of horse training shows and things. Maybe they will come in handy.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

pwl44m wrote:Looks like a good start, Love that setting with the Pond but Barbed Wire is Taboo while I realize this is not Their eventual Home. Your KIds are going to be Sooooo surprised. DO Not forget Pics on CHRISTmas day, whether You share them or not they will be priceless for years to come. On the Name Man Man- I would let the Kids rename Him, He will get used to it. Yepper, looks like they need some Grub.
Perry

We have some barbed wire but they will have a good 20+ acres to roam around on. The front part wooden where we will be doing most of the handling.

I will let the kids come up with a name for the older one.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

pwl44m wrote:Looks like a good start, Love that setting with the Pond but Barbed Wire is Taboo while I realize this is not Their eventual Home. Your KIds are going to be Sooooo surprised. DO Not forget Pics on CHRISTmas day, whether You share them or not they will be priceless for years to come. On the Name Man Man- I would let the Kids rename Him, He will get used to it. Yepper, looks like they need some Grub.
Perry

Video will be a must because they will be totally shocked. My daughter has been wanting riding lessons but I kept telling her that with no horses of our own.....its just throwing away 50 bucks an hour.

She will be shocked that she can now learn on her own horse.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Good for you! A pony on Christmas for the kids. They will never forget :D Do me a favor though..... Take that lead line off his halter, if he steps on it he will pin his head to the ground and freak :o
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

foxtrapper wrote:Good for you! A pony on Christmas for the kids. They will never forget :D Do me a favor though..... Take that lead line off his halter, if he steps on it he will pin his head to the ground and freak :o

Already been done. The previous owners have been living away for a few months and I guess they had that on there to aid in catching him. All you really need though is patients and he will come up to you.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Aw com'n Perry! Barbed wire is a no-no? My place has had two top strands of barbed and 3 slick on the bottom for the 20 years I've been here, and the 17 years before that when the original owners built the place out of a farmer's field. Constant repair work, but for horses accustomed to barbed, it's not a problem... at least it ain't wood that they'll chew! I only had one problem... and that was with a colt that ran a t-post thru his chest, chased by a feral dog. A dead dog and a few hundred at the vet's (him sayin' I don't know if he'll make it), later; and all was well. Stupid plug lived till he was 15, died of heat stroke one hot summer day!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats. Great advice above and lots of others have more knowledge on the topic than I do. I have a draft mule and a quarter horse. Love em both and they have given me much joy. Hope yours do the same
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Enjoying this thread as well.......after 25 or so years of being away from horses, I'm trying to play Cowboy again with a pair of Morgans. Good luck with your new horses.
Last edited by C. Cash on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Griff wrote:Aw com'n Perry! Barbed wire is a no-no? My place has had two top strands of barbed and 3 slick on the bottom for the 20 years I've been here, and the 17 years before that when the original owners built the place out of a farmer's field. Constant repair work, but for horses accustomed to barbed, it's not a problem... at least it ain't wood that they'll chew! I only had one problem... and that was with a colt that ran a t-post thru his chest, chased by a feral dog. A dead dog and a few hundred at the vet's (him sayin' I don't know if he'll make it), later; and all was well. Stupid plug lived till he was 15, died of heat stroke one hot summer day!
Ok , I will go with the 2 top strands and I did but the rest is field fence- 30+ acres. I had to keep Goats in. Even that was dangerous, got their heads caught then it was easy Lunch for some Critter.
I boarded some Horses one time and an Old Mare (28 yrs) got hung up on some low strung Barbed and bout sawed Her leg off. Good care and Scarlet oil and She healed nicely. Anybody with animals should have a bottle of Scarlet handy.
Now Horses and Field fence is another Story. If they are shod they get the shoes hung up trying to get that next little blade of grass.
20 acres is a lot escape room Rube, they will be OK. Had a bad experience once tryin to load a stubborn Gelding, He just did not like going into that Trailer. Long story Short, after I thought I broke his neck I left Him there and moved the rest to greener pastures.
Perry
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Today was interesting. Went and rode the 9 year old. He walked/trotted around the 2 acres twice and then would not move. He did good but I am sure he is out of shape and didnt want to work him too hard too fast. I didnt let him win though. Least I dont think I did. When he decided that he was not moving with me on him anymore I got off and lead him in a couple small circles before letting him go by the colt and have a bite to eat.

We just got them Saturday and the Colt would barely even come by us on Saturday. Today he is walking right up to us and while he is still nervous we are gaining his trust more and more each day.

Is there something I can do that will help in the long run with eventually getting a rider on him? I really think he has the potential to make a fine horse if worked properly. I just need to learn what proper is.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good for you, Rube. Nothing like horses to give the family a common hobby (or job, Dad).

Lots of good instructions out there from DVD's to shows on TV. RFDTV is a great place to learn about training yourself and your horses.

Saddles. Like Griff said that's a whole subject in and of itself. I had Jeff Morrow, Shootingstar Saddlery, make mine. Similar to this one. http://shootingstar.montana.com/
beartoothranger[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Law Dawg
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

kimwcook wrote:Saddles. Like Griff said that's a whole subject in and of itself. I had Jeff Morrow, Shootingstar Saddlery, make mine. Similar to this one. http://shootingstar.montana.com/
beartoothranger[1].jpg
once again, forum folk like similar stuff. here's mine. 32yrs later.
P9060529.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Rube Burrows wrote: Is there something I can do that will help in the long run with eventually getting a rider on him?
sure there is, once he is ok with you handling him. start by picking up a foot, just a
little to start. then more and longer. then take a sack or a saddle pad and lay it across
his back. again just a little, then more. let him sniff and see what you are doing.
after he becomes accustomed to all this lay a saddle on him just let him feel the
weight of some thing on him, again a little, then more. finally driving him from the
ground from behind with long lines will give him a few cues you will need later on.
all of this ground work will give you time to learn about him as well as him
learning some of what you expect of him. good luck. :wink:

by the way this is an ongoing thing , every time you interact with a critter
you are training them [or they you]. so be consistent .

"BECAUSE I CAN"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice saddle, Pokey. Personally, I could never get used to oxbow stirrups. Unless you expect it to get snorty. I really try and avoid that anymore. :D
Old Law Dawg
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thanks for the info and tips. The little guy is trusting us more each day. Its only been since Saturday so we have a ways to go. When we first went to get him he would barely come by us. Now when we walk up the the fence he comes our way (even if way off in the field). He is getting attention now that he was lacking. He is very curious but still very shy and easily spooked. I know all of this will get better in time.

RFDTV has been a good find for me in the last week or so.
Last edited by Rube Burrows on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

kimwcook wrote:Nice saddle, Pokey. Personally, I could never get used to oxbow stirrups. Unless you expect it to get snorty. I really try and avoid that anymore. :D
snorty USED to be my middle name :D
i too have slowed down but still prefer my iron oxbows, more positions
to relax my knees. :wink:
oh, and i made them myself.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My Bridger Creek, from MT.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Whoe nice saddles pards. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Nice saddle Griff, and long gun.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ok, Rube, I told you I'd let you know some info I have on "old-timey" saddles. Just in case some of the other guys on the forum might be interested, or can add someone they personally know, I'll put the information here that I have.

In Dec, 1995 I had the following article appeared in Western Horseman. I found this on one of my old 3-½" diskettes. One this same diskette, I have a listing of about 45 makers... the seven represented below were kind enough to respond to my inquiry, without any hope of compensation. Interesting story... my saddle, pictured above, was ordered in 1996 after the previous owner saw this article... and when he moved from TX to CA he couldn't take his horses... I bought one horse and this saddle. It is one of my prized possessions! A couple of the makers also said that they had received orders and many, many inquiries about their saddles from this article. Unfortunately, the information is very outdated now. Last I checked even Bridger Creek was not longer in business. However, I have another maker that does really nice work, from Three Forks, MT. Yep, Three Forks Saddlery! Bear with me, this was in the days before folks expected website info for reference, and the publisher didn't requiest any internet data. In fact, at the time, I think only one had any information. It took me about a year to compile the info, and get the article organized... I'm sure a pro could do it better, faster... but I had a blast!
A:\ANTIQUE.STY
2177 Words
© Dennis W. Griffin

Modern Made Antique Saddles
by
Dennis W. Griffin

As a competitor in the sport of "Cowboy Action Shooting" for about 10 years, I became even more excited with the emergence of mounted shooting events almost 3 years ago. After acclimatizing my horses to the sound of gunfire, I began competing. While my clothing and other equipment fit the visual image of an 1880's trail hand, my tack didn't.

I began looking for tack that represented the timeframe the rest of my gear represented. I first looked at tack I already owned. While headstalls, bits and reins were acceptable, the saddles needed to be older(?). My 1980's vintage roping saddle was clearly out; as was my old Bona Allen saddle. Although made in 1929, it is styled a little later than I wanted. It also doesn't really fit my favorite mount, Miss Fits Poco, a 13 year-old AQHA mare. "Missy" has a flat back, low withers, and barrel chest typical of her breed. I tried an original Sam Stagg rigged trail saddle. It looked just like one that a Goodnight & Loving cowboy might have used. It was also in a condition that led me to believe it just might have been! When set up on Missy's back, it didn't fit; here was a sore back waiting to happen.

So I started looking around for an antique styled saddle, but more modern in its fit. I needed to have it as authentic as practicable, fit my horse, and be affordable. What I now knew of original saddles and as I soon learned from others, was that antique saddles won't fit the modern horse properly. With the increase of interest in "thing's cowboy," to use a well-used phrase, there has been an upswing in the number of firms and independent saddle makers in offering antique styled saddles to the public. I grew curious as to their authenticity and what accommodations had been made for the changes in the majority of this country's horses.

These saddlemakers run from the meticulously researched and reconstructed reproduction to the simple changing of the profile of the seat, cantle or another feature to give the "modern" western saddle the look of yesterday's cowboy working office.

The resulting list of makers have answered my questions and are justifiably proud of their products. After sending out almost 50 inquiries out I received just 7 responses from makers. I've capsulized their features and what they offer. If you are in the market for an antique styled saddle, I recommend that you first define the style of the saddle you want, then find out what makers are producing saddles in that style.

The following list will be a good start; and amongst them you should be able to find your dream saddle. Each area of the country also has additional saddlemakers that do not advertise and produce good, quality equipment. I recommend that you locate saddlemakers in your area and visit with them. Look at work they're doing for others and the different types of saddles they've produced in the past. Just like auto body shops, they'll often have photographs of work they've done. Sometimes a local maker will provide you both excellent service and a high quality product that will last for years. As more work is involved in producing antique styled saddles, look for a maker that has produced some already. If you are satisfied with the work they've produced on other antique styled saddles, get them to quote on building yours. If repairs are needed at a future date, you can have them made by the maker, rather that either having someone else work on your saddle or waiting while it's shipped off to the manufacturer, repairs are effected and returned.

This list is presented in no particular order, just the order in which I received responses.

Sawtooth Saddle Co. -- makes several antique saddle reproductions. Included are styles from the 1880's to 1900's. Jerry Stewart has approximately 13 years experience in saddlemaking, first as an apprentice and later in his own shop. Jerry has several family members working in the business with him. Sawtooth is able to produce about 100 saddles a year, of which 15 are antique styled saddles. Sawtooth will add modern conveniences to your saddle, such as Blevins buckles or other features you desire. Prices range from $1,160 to about $2,855 for a Meanea copy with all the fixin's (see photo #1). You can expect to wait from between 3-4 months for a standard modern saddle or between 4-6 months for a Meanea copy.

F.A. Meanea Saddle Company -- is again producing saddles. The firm is partially owned by the Meanea family and its offerings are cut from the original patterns of Frank Meanea. The original F.A. Meanea Company was in the saddle business for approximately 45 years, from the 1880's to about 1928, while the new company has been in business for about 1-1/2 years. The firm offers 6 original F.A. Meanea designs. The earliest dates from the 1860's, and latest from the early 1900's. They have redesigned the original trees to fit the changed back structure of the more modern horse. Meanea produces about 50 saddles per year with 3 employees. Robert Nelson is the President of this venture and told me that the firm's saddlemakers have almost 40 years of experience. In redesigning their trees to fit modern horses, they have retained the original Meanea saddle profiles. There are also gunbelts, holsters, rifle scabbards, bits, spurs, chaps and headstalls offered of F.A. Meanea designs from the late 1800's. For the fanatical re-enactor of the cowboy era, here is a unique opportunity to own a modern-made saddle and accouterments with an original maker's mark of the timeframe being re-enacted. Additionally, the F.A. Meanea Catalog No. 1 also includes a reprint of their 1912 saddle catalog and their 1914 saddletree catalog. Both can be important documents to collectors. The basic F.A. Meanea #2 (see photo #2) is $2,200 while a fully tooled and customized Model 14F will set you back $3,500. The #2 isn't a "plain Jane" saddle; but rather, is a very nice, traditionally finished and furnished saddle. Delivery is estimated at between 4-8 weeks depending on the number of orders in the shop and the custom features you want.

Borderstates Leather Works -- produces military and civilian reproduction saddles. Doug Kidd provides copies of issue military saddles and accouterments for the purist from the 1840's through to the 1940's cavalry. Borderstates has changed the shape of the bars from original saddles and modified their trees to fit today's size and shape of horse. Saddles are available that are completely handmade, including stitching (if requested by customer), or may be machine stitched. As handstitching increases the time to produce a finished saddle, it also increases the price. However, Borderstates produces the most reasonably priced reproduction saddles I found in the survey. Doug is their principal saddlemaker and has about 30 years of experience. Doug developed his antique saddles through repairing original antiques and researching museums and books on antique saddles. An 1859 McClellan will set you back $750 (enlisted man's version) for a machine stitched copy; add about $200 for a totally handstitched copy. Their "Hope-Morgan" saddle will run about $850. But add $240 for underskirts and wool underbars. (These will add to the comfort of your horse.) Borderstates also carries a full line of leathergear and harness for the civil war re-enactor. Some re-enactor gear will also add to the authenticity of the cowboy of the 1870-1890 era, as it is well documented that many western cowboys carried home their gear from the then recent conflict between the states for use in their future activities.

Langerud's Saddles -- offers 2 antique styled saddles. A Sam Stagg rigged Texas Trail Saddle and a Slick Fork "Californio" styled saddle. Cliff Langerud has been making saddles full time for 10 years and produces about 30 saddles per year. Cliff studied pictures and old saddles to design his "old-timey" saddles. Saddles can run from $1,100 for a complete saddle upwards to $2,000 for pictured work sent as examples.

Bridger Creek Outfitters -- makes both antique reproductions and saddles with the "old time" look, and features of more modern designs to enhance the comfort of both horse and rider. BCO produces about 25 saddles per year of which 10 are antique styled saddles. BCO offers 6 antique styles. BCO is a completely custom shop; they build what their customer wants. Therefore, they have produced both historically accurate saddles and antique styled saddles that incorporate more modern features, such as flat-plate rigging and Blevins buckles. BCO's catalog offers many additional items such as headstalls, reins, breastplates and other gear including tents, slickers and custom packer boots. Saddles range from $1,595 base price for a standard rig, upwards of $3,000 for fully carved and decked out rigs.

Sherer Custom Saddles, Inc. -- can build any type saddle a customer wants. Dick Sherer has built many antique saddles and has written numerous articles on antique saddles and makers. With over 35 years experience and in business for himself for 22 years, Dick has repaired numerous antique saddles. During such repairs, Dick has made notes on the techniques used by "old time" saddlemakers. Dick has stamping tools to duplicate old pattern geometric work. Dick uses the techniques and materials appropriate to the era saddle being built, but generally uses new trees to conform to modern horses. Unless the customer wants the old style bar patterns. Dick produces 25-30 saddles per year. Only 1 or 2 of these will be antique styled.

Croft's Saddlery -- has been building "old time" looking saddles for more than 20 years. Jerry says people told him he couldn't sell those old-time high backed saddles; he guesses they've changed their minds since then. Jerry builds saddles using the old time methods, but to fit the modern horse and rider. Horses' backs have changed over the past 100 years. What are being bred into horses now are flatter backs and lower withers. That changes how a saddle must fit to work properly. Croft's Saddlery has two employees and can build a number of old time saddle styles. 1/2 & 3/4 loop seats, squaw saddles and Santa Fe Macheas (with or without ground seats). Jerry's saddles start at a base price of $1,650 and work up from there. Changes in leather pricing may change the base price at the time you order, but as of 9/95 the above is accurate. Jerry can add any feature you want in your saddle. He has developed and is the predominate user (from my research) of a rawhide braiding to dress of a saddle without being gaudy. (See photo #3.) If you liked the looks of the leather gear and saddles used by Tom Selleck in "Quigley, Down Under" you already like the looks of Jerry's work.

One common thread among all the builders of "old-timey" saddles included in this survey, was their desire to present a saddle that contained the visual elements of the early saddles, yet fit a modern horse's back to keep from harming the horse. Those that said what changes they've made, the shape of the bars is the most common change. Other changes are common in custom saddles, gullet depth, spread and angle of bars. Each of these is important if your saddle is to fit your horse. A sore back makes for a sore attitude.

Firms that responded to my requests for information as profiled above, may be contacted at the address or phone numbers below. As with any business endeavors, serious inquiries will receive serious attention. Their time and expertise are their most valuable assets; neither are gained cheaply, neither should they be given away. I trust that you will find them courteous and helpful in picking the "old time" saddle that is right for you and your horse.
The End.
I know of some others, but haven't either talked to, or personally seen their work to be able to recommend. One guy, whose work I love, (I have his chaps, gun leather and some other small stuff, does fanastic work, when you can get in line and he's interested in completing a project. He likes working for working cowhands, shuns some work in order to keep his regulars supplied. But, his stuff is well researched, totally hand stitched and worth a lifetime of memories.

The following list is of those makers referenced in the article.

1. Sawtooth Saddle Co. Jerry Stewart 8962 W. Castle Cove Rd. Vernal, Utah 84078 Phone: 435-789-5400 (see note 1)

2. F.A. Meanea Saddle Co. Robert Nelson 218 W. 17th St. Cheyenne, WY 82001 (307) 635-5573 (307) 778-3926(fax) no longer in business (see note 2)

3. Borderstates Leather Works Doug Kidd 1158 Apple Blossom Lane, Springdale, Arkansas 72762
Phone: (479) 361-2642 (see note 4)

4. Langerud's Cliff Langerud 803 5th St. S. E. Barnesville, MN 56514 (218) 354-7157 (see note 6)

5. Bridger Creek Outfitters Ron Ratcliffe P.O. Box 126 Alder, MT 59710 (406) 842-5044 (see note 7)

6. Sherer Custom Saddles, Inc. Dick Sherer P.O. Box 385W Franktown, CO 80116 (303) 841-0751 (see note 5)

7. Croft's Saddlery J.J. Croft HC73, Box 1243 Deadwood, Dakota Terr. (SD) 57732 (605) 578-3228 (see note 3)

Notes:

1. Sawtooth still appears to be in business.
2. F.A. Meanea copies now possibly available from Carrico Leather
3. Croft's Saddlery appears to still be active, don't have new contact info, just the facebook page.
4. Borderstates Saddlery, if you contact him, mention my name... I really enjoyed talkin' horses and ridin' with Doug
5. Sherer's also appears to be making saddles.
6. Langerud's Saddlery still appears to be in business, but no website.
7. Bridger Creek Outfitters might still be around, might be these folks: Bridger Creek Outfitters, Box 3576, Bozeman, Mont. 58715; (406) 586-7764. Custom saddles, chaps, slickers, belts.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

Start a good Worming program. Check with your local Feed Store.
Food:
Good clean water in stock tank(morning and night make sure a critter didnt find it's way into the tank and die) and in stall buckets. Wash out often.
Salt lick in paddock and barn.
Clean Hay, no mold, I use Orchard Grass Alfalfa mixed growth second cutting. Plan storage for future needs. Know whom you buy hay from.
Rotate Pastures.
Supplements.
Probiotics.
Handle your horses:
The more you touch them and work with them the better.
Use Fly Masks.
Clean Hooves and use a good Farrier on a six week interval.
Check them out every day and give them a once over for wounds, rarely happens but the sooner you catch something the better the outcome.
Ride whenever you can, you will both benefit.
Join a local club.
Suscribe to "Western Horseman".
Appreciate fine tack.

That should help get you started.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Bigger the area... is the general rule for fencing and horse as far as wire goes. Small corrals need to be small woven wire, pipe or board fence. Barbed wire on a acre paddock or several acres has a certain risk.

I gave away 2 when we lost the lease late this summer. My paint and I have been together for 13 years... I cannot bear to visit the place that took him. I guess I should.... but somhow I feel like I let my freind down.

good luck
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

woods-walker wrote:Start a good Worming program. Check with your local Feed Store.
Food:
Good clean water in stock tank(morning and night make sure a critter didnt find it's way into the tank and die) and in stall buckets. Wash out often.
Salt lick in paddock and barn.
Clean Hay, no mold, I use Orchard Grass Alfalfa mixed growth second cutting. Plan storage for future needs. Know whom you buy hay from.
Rotate Pastures.
Supplements.
Probiotics.
Handle your horses:
The more you touch them and work with them the better.
Use Fly Masks.
Clean Hooves and use a good Farrier on a six week interval.
Check them out every day and give them a once over for wounds, rarely happens but the sooner you catch something the better the outcome.
Ride whenever you can, you will both benefit.
Join a local club.
Suscribe to "Western Horseman".
Appreciate fine tack.

That should help get you started.

Thanks for sharing. Some of that I dont even know what it is....but will research.

Griff, thanks for the saddle info. Lots of great stuff in that write up.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Darn after the story, photos, and escorting a funeral to where Roy Rogers and Dale Evans are buried with the local blue knights last weekend it make me wish I was 50 years younger.
Lucky Kids… Great Dad.
It is not the critic who counts
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Ok, I thought I would give an update on the horses and how they are doing.

First off..... The kids were totally shocked to get the horses and it was the best Christmas ....EVER they keep telling me. Yay dad.

Now on to the horses,

I will start with Man-Man, the horse that was supposed to be nine years old. I was trying to slowly get him back into shape thinking he was a 9 year old horse. After the last two week I was just starting to really think he was older than what I was told. I was still waiting on the Vet who is very busy at this time of year. At my concerns I had a local person I met who runs a pretty decent sized ranch in the area come by and look at him. He told me that Man-Man is well into his 20s and prob. pushing 30. Not really what I wanted to hear but im glad to know. Now I will adjust his role and he will just be a pet mostly. Very short rides for the kids to gain their confidence on because he is the sweetest horse. He has really been showing us some love.....with a tad bit of stubbornness now and then.

On to Trigger who I was told was 23 months. I was watching RDFTV and seen a guy who had a 2 year old horse that he was rode 20 times so far. The size of that horse and overall appearance of his horse was much larger than mine. I started to think that either mine was younger or mixed with some sort of small pony in which he would not grow to a real horse size. Turns out the guy thinks he is still a baby....maybe 12 months or so. I hope he is right on this one and that he turns out to make a fine horse.
He is coming along nicely and starting to really show us love also. Coming right up to us now in stead of running away when we try to touch him. We have lead him around some and even put a saddle on him and let my daughter sit on him just to see if he would act up. He didn't so maybe that is a good sign. Didnt want to push it with him but that is where we are at with him.

Now.....we ended up getting a 4 year old Gray Mare named Braylee also. There is so much difference in stamina and overall physical fitness between this horse and Man-Man. She was bought for a girl to barrel race on and has had 120 hours of riding lessons on her. The girl fell in love with some high dollar barrel racing horse so ....I guess what she wants she gets.
We got the horse for free also. She come off of a champion reining horse bloodline and she rides pretty good. We got her yesterday and she is still a little nervous on our place with the other two horses.....but she is clearly establishing herself as the BOSS.

Man-Man and Trigger are getting more healthy everyday it looks like and at any rate, im glad I was able to rescue them from the place they were. Cant believe someone could just let them stay there to basically starve to death.

Here are a few pics.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Lookin good Rube, nice pictures 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Looking good is right. The two you picked up have put some weight on and are rounding out nicely. Good job. Just watch feeding them too much and too hot a feed. One thing I'll warn you about is loving your horses too much. Now don't take that wrong. I love my horses, but they're not dogs, they're horses. Horses don't love people like a dog does. Horses really only know security (feeling safe) and respect. And that respect has to be earned all the time or they'll see you as weak and they should take on the role of leader. That's just how horses think.

I think I told this story before so I'll try and make it short. The wife and I audited a Clinton Anderson clinic years ago. He started off taking to this girl that was participating with a big half Percheron half quarter horse gelding. Her horse was walking all over the top of her and being a real pain. Clinton was making a point of safety. He asked her if it was true her horse had bitten a part of her ear off and she said it was. He asked her then why would you let this 1400 lbs horse walk over the top of you like that and she just giggled. His point was that you need to establish a level of respect and leadership with your horse so that he knows you're in charge and he needs to show respect to the leader. A horse is huge compared to us humans and what they do to each other for discipline, which rarely results in serious damage, will break a human in short order. There are ways of doing this easily without being a heavy handed disciplinarian. I subscribe to the natural horseman way as I grew up being taught the heavyhanded one and have lived the results. Best of luck. Horses can be a really neat adventure.
Old Law Dawg
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Don't be surprised if when these horses pick up in physical condition, they get "spunkier" on you. Horses that thin are pretty short on energy, and well fed horses get friskier and often give people their hands full if they aren't experienced.
The majority of horses are real well pasture broke and very poorly riding broke. We had a neighbor (lived a couple miles away - that's a neighbor here!) who had a young horse that she would lead all over the countryside because she was scared to ride it. It never was broke. The best way to have a real good horse is a lot of sweaty saddle pads.
Under is a pic of one of our horses that is pretty well kid broke. You can also see my main saddle pretty well - it is a Rafter W wade saddle made in Idaho. They make quality stuff, even if it isn't a truly "Old West" saddle since the Wade tree is fairly modern. I have a very old Bona Allen saddle (late 1800s) that is as cowboy as they come - as a matter of fact, it looks identical to a saddle Butch Cassidy has on his horse in the book "In Search of Butch Cassidy." The thing about these old saddles is they fit narrow horses like the old timers used and don't fit a lot of modern horses real well.
As far as the discussion about barb wire earlier, that is all we use around here. My dad has been on his place since 1982, and the original family farmstead has been going since 1902, and that is all that has ever been used. Yup, a horse will occasionally get cut, but they learn.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

By the way, I know you wanted that horse to be younger, but I once heard a fellow say that the best horse for kids just learning was at least 20, and if he only has three good legs, he's worth twice as much :lol:
Those types of horses never hurt anybody :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

ndcowboy wrote:The best way to have a real good horse is a lot of sweaty saddle pads.
Yep, a great big +1.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Much improved Rube. What ndcowboy said.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thanks again for the pointers and info.

That is just what I said about the older horse. Sure, he may never be a long distance everyday horse but he is something the kids can gain confidence on and one that I know will not go too crazy on them.

I dont believe I am over feeding them as I was told what would be good for them to get them healthy again but not over do it. I didnt really notice till I seen the pics but in the pics I can tell they are looking better. They still have not had a good bath since its been too chilly but their coats are looking better then before.

I will take into account that I need to step up as the leader. It can be nerve racking sometimes because they are so much bigger and stronger but I have been learning a bunch of things on the horse forum and also from watching RDFTV. They have some really good shows on there.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

What a nice Xmas for your family. Wish you and your kids much enjoyment with those horses.

In my early years we had a couple of work horses and a half horse/half pony. Never had a great interest in horses although my dad did and a niece loves'em and is a lot more knowledgeable and capable with horses than I am. I might one day make her "horse dreams" come true. She had some amputations a few years ago but she's still able to ride. She's at the old home place in the country with her dad.

Lot of helpful people in this group. Enjoy reading your advice about horses.

Perhaps a few in this group aren't too keen on the just about any topic will do policy here, but I like it. After a few years of straight gun talk so much of it becomes repetitive so I find a change of subject sometimes refreshing--like this New Horse Owner topic we have going here. If a topic doesn't interest me I simply don't "tune-in." Simple.

Don
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

getitdone1 wrote:Perhaps a few in this group aren't too keen on the just about any topic will do policy here, but I like it. After a few years of straight gun talk so much of it becomes repetitive so I find a change of subject sometimes refreshing--like this New Horse Owner topic we have going here. If a topic doesn't interest me I simply don't "tune-in." Simple.

Don
Don, I couldn't of said it better. One of the reasons I make this my home forum. It's like home. Not everyone speaks just guns in a family, generally, of course.
Old Law Dawg
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

[Q] Don, I couldn't of said it better. One of the reasons I make this my home forum. It's like home. Not everyone speaks just guns in a family, generally, of course.[/quote]

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm lucky I can have a dog. Last place I lived, you couldn't keep a goldfish.

Never had a horse, never will but this is an intersting stuff.

Now if y'all were discussing politics, I would be irritated.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Rube,

I hope you & your children really enjoy your horses. Be very careful with 'em.
I'm guessing Trigger is closer to the 23 months originally suggested than he is to 12 months. His head is shaped like a mature horse. It would be unusual for a 12 month (or 18 month old) colt to have that much tail growth - but I'm just guessing... a vet can tell you pretty close on their ages.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

BC in TN wrote:Rube,

I hope you & your children really enjoy your horses. Be very careful with 'em.
I'm guessing Trigger is closer to the 23 months originally suggested than he is to 12 months. His head is shaped like a mature horse. It would be unusual for a 12 month (or 18 month old) colt to have that much tail growth - but I'm just guessing... a vet can tell you pretty close on their ages.

You may be right. I printed out something from the net that is supposed to show the different stages of the teeth so I can age them but I guess I have not seen enough to tell the difference yet.

Its def. been a learning process but its been fun and I really have enjoyed them.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Sounds like the Chihuahua We bought. Woman said She was 5 months old. Took her to the Vet for Rabies Shot and the Vet said She was barely 12 weeks old, still has Her baby teeth. What some people will do or say to Sell or Give something.
Perry
Oh !!! She was Housebroke too,"NOT !!"
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

pwl44m wrote:Sounds like the Chihuahua We bought. Woman said She was 5 months old. Took her to the Vet for Rabies Shot and the Vet said She was barely 12 weeks old, still has Her baby teeth. What some people will do or say to Sell or Give something.
Perry
Oh !!! She was Housebroke too,"NOT !!"

I got one of those last year. :mrgreen: Never thought I would be a small dog person but that little dog is my buddy. Which is why he is named buddy.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thought I would share a pic. She is quickly becoming my sweetheart. Vet said she is 3.5 years old.

Vet also said yesterday that Trigger is between 6 and 9 months old. Still has his baby teeth also.

Man-Man is about 27 years old.

He is stubborn but I guess maybe he has earned that right. He is also very gentle with my daughter and she loves him. Guess he will live out the rest of his days as her big ole pet.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice. Your young ones have many years ahead of them and as for the old guy, well you said it, he's earned the right to be a little grumpy. Oh, that cellphone on your hip instead of a sixgun does nothing for your image. :D
Old Law Dawg
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

kimwcook wrote:Nice. Your young ones have many years ahead of them and as for the old guy, well you said it, he's earned the right to be a little grumpy. Oh, that cellphone on your hip instead of a sixgun does nothing for your image. :D

I know....I cant wait to dress up in my SASS stuff for a "real" pic.
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

I can see that you have your Horses best interest in mind. Hope we can be of further assistance.

Tonight we have wind blowing to 22+ mph and the temperature dropping to about 20 degrees, my house is creaking and talking a bit. Horses are in the barn munching on hay, tomorrow they will be turned out into a brisk Winter day. They spend most days and nights out but tonight was just cold enough that we thought we should shelter them, as we are going to see a few days of a Winter Storm front.

I'm feeling pretty good about the Hay we bought and hauled and stored in July and August.