Winchester of Browning 1886

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester of Browning 1886

Post by K1500 »

Teach me about the 1886. I have a yearning for one and am facing a choice. My interest was stimulated by looking at the Browning 1886 carbine made in 1992. They seem to be hard to find. I have a line on a new Winchester 1886 Short Rifle. The price is $1030. Is this a good price? How do the new Winchesters compare to the old Brownings? I know Miroku made both. Is there anything I should be looking for or anything I am missing? Thanks.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester of Browning 1886

Post by Noah Zark »

I went with Browning for my 1886 for two reasons: No checkering, and no tang safety.

All the Winchesters I saw had a tang safety and some had checkered wood. Not all, but some.

I'm very pleased with the Brownings, an 1886 Extra Light Carbine, and an 1886 Grade 1 Rifle with octagon barrel and full length mag tube. The rifle is heavy, but it hangs well and stays on target when I shoot my reduced loads -- 400 gr cast over 13.5 gr Unique.

As for the price of that Winchester, that's under going rate for that particular gun in these parts. When I see them. Winchester-brand Miroku 1886 Short Rifles are generally in the $1200 range.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Aggiecubpilot
Levergunner

Post by Aggiecubpilot »

I have a Winchester Extra Light model from the first USRAC run back in the early 2000's. I shot it and was having misfires due to the rebounding hammer that purists detest. The fix for that took me about 15 minutes to accomplish and this rifle has now replaced my bolt gun for deer hunting. It is a joy to shoot, accurate, and I am confident that it will accomplish anything I ask of it this winter. If you research Miroku made Winchesters here I think you will find that people aren't so much bad mouthing the rifle as much as they are the safety features that are not needed. As I recall, there isn't much bad press extending beyond that. Remember that some of us just don't want a rifle with those features and I can understand why, but that doesn't spoil the utility of the rifle to me. It is among my favorite rifles and there are many here who have spoken highly of them. The new short rifles sure do look nice, but I fear a crescent butt plate! :lol:

I paid about what you are looking at for my rifle in like-new condition with no box or papers.
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

So, what is the fix to the rebounding hammer? Do you just swap it out for one with a half-cock notch, or is it more involved?
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

O.K., I looked up the misfiring problem. It looks like the fix involves shortening a part that engages the hammer. I am still interested in opinions on the various 86'es out there. I should have bought the Browning back in 92!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

As you said both the late model Brownings and Winchesters were made by Miroku so the quality between the two are the same. The difference is the rebounding hammer on the Winchester and the tang safety. I have a Winchester with the rebounding hammer and just a couple of days ago I swapped it out for a Browning hammer and trigger. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. If I were looking for a late model '86 I'd get a Browning.
Old Law Dawg
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have a Miroku made 1886 Winchester EL High Grade. I shortened the lower hammer spurs so it does not rebound and I removed a few coils from the mainspring to lighten the pull. It is very accurate and has been to Africa 3X as well as all over the US. I actually don't mind the tang safety, I engage it whenever I am lowering the hammer as a precaution. Also, with dangerous game I will cock the hammer upon approach and use the tang safety. As I mount the gun I flick the safety off - just like a shotgun or any other gun with a tang safety. I see the Grade I's going for $1000-$1250 and the High Grade going for $1450-$1750 depending on whether they are NIB, or what condition. I've shot the Browning models and the Win USRAC models including the 45-90 TD with octagon bbl. They all work well and were very versatile to me. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I have had both the Browning and the Winchester 1886. Both are of excellent quality. I kinda like the tang safety on the Winchester! Just a extra margin of safety when hunting and when unloading the arm. Both are very accurate. The finish on the Winchester is, IMHO, far better than the Browning. If I where buying now, I would go with the new Winchester 1886. The rebounding hammer mod is a easy fix. :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Got a question on the 1886 Winchester that is marked 'CAL..45-90 black powder only', Are they a lower grade barrel or will they stand modern powder pressures?
Thought an old 1886 with a 32" barrel in 45-90 propelled by modern powder would be a good fun long range hunting gun.
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Smokenrust, CRS and I have the Winoku '86 in 45-90. His is a takedown, I believe and I have the standard. When the rifles were made there wasn't a current SAAMI spec for the round so in an effort to get around that issue they labeled them blackpowder only. They can handle any safe and sane smokless load you want to put through'em. That's how I recall why they were marked BP only. They can also shoot 45-70 and in fact the short time I've shot mine the 45-70 rounds actually shot more accurate. That's with only about 200 rounds through it both 45-90 and 45-70.
Old Law Dawg
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

O+K, been awhile since this post was up, but am wondering what you fellows think of the ifferences between the different calibers of 40-65, 40-82, 45-70, 45-90 or the 50-110. Ummm maybe not the 50-110. LOL
Anyways, I keep looking at 1886 rifles and would like to get my hands on one someday that would be like the 1886 40/65 that my dad had hunted with and always wished he had back when it came hunting time. But I have never had any experiance with any of these calibers. So ... What caliber would you hunt with and the reason why.
I keep thinking maybe the 40-82, The caliber is the same as dad's was but just little hotter than the old 65. It should act kind of like dad's old gun, I would think. And yet there are more older ones of 45-70 that come up for sale.
Also, was there any Mirouko Winchester 1886 rifles built without cross bolt or tang safety's?
I seen 1886 45-90 Winchester that says Black powder only , like new for 1300, would that be a good deal?
Thank you for any input. SnR
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

With both Winchester and Browning the weight difference between the Lightweights/carbines and longer barreled rifles is considerable. I would not have the rifle due to the weight.

The Browning 1886 SRC is not hard to find in used or new condition. They are not plentiful but I can usually find one at the below sites. Typically 1000-1200 dollars in good to new condition for the standard grade.

There's a Browning SRC, never fired, at gunsamerica site right now. $1095.00. Also one 'like new in box' for $1599.00 at gunsinternational. There's a set consisting of both standard and high grade at gunbroker, new in box, $3400.00 or close.

Quite a spread in price!

Try:

http://www.gunsamerica.com
http://www.gunsinternational.com
http://www.gunbroker.com
http://www.gunauction.com

My 1886 SRC is, perhaps, my favorite gun of all. Couple of others come close.

Don
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

smokenrust wrote: So ... What caliber would you hunt with and the reason why.
. SnR
45-70 or 45-90 for me. If there was such a thing as a "cartridge war" between all the ones you listed, then the 45-70 won it hands down long ago.
It is still a commonly available commercially loaded cartridge -- the 45-90, not so much, but components are pretty easy to come by
Cartridge survival is a cruel popularity contest -- even the .450 Marlin recently got booted to the back of the dance floor

But i am not a tinkerer --- i frequently take the "easy road" with cartridge selection. I would never pick a .40-65 for that reason alone. It can kill the animals i hunt just as effectively i'm sure, but hunting for brass from Starline or Old Western Scrounger , casting my own bullets if necessary, and everything else is not my cup of tea

However --- i can see the allure in using something a little bit different than the next guy for sure -- and if you like the process as well as the end result, one of the less common calibers may be right up your alley , After all - while 45-70's may seem a dime a dozen sometimes, not many use a 40-82 or 40-65 anymore :D
----- Doug
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

New question, but probably been asked and answered before...
The Miroku Winchester 1886 45-90 long oct. barrel, were there any made without the tang safety?
Or were there any new ones made state side that didn't have the safety?
Second question today, I have located a supposedly as nib unfired 1886 45-90 long oct. barrel and they want 1300. Is that a fair price for one in that condition?
or should I wait and watch for one that is used for 8-900? (Lesser the better... for the ol wallet is kinda thin) :|
Thanks for any information you can shed my way. SnR
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I know of no Miroku "Winchesters" (i.e. USRAC) that came without tang safeties. The only thing that came without safties are the Miroku "Brownings" 86s (26"oct and SRC), 95s, and 71s that were sold in the mid/late 80s.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

OK, are the Miroku Brownings and Winchesters 1886 totally interchangeable? Can one take the browning receiver and put on the Winchester barrel on or are they different in their threads and dimensions?
I know I was told the old Winchesters would not fit up to the new Browning barrels. Thanks, SnR
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I am pleased with my Browning...

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

All the Miroku 86's are basically interchangable as regards barrels and most parts. The hammers, triggers, and a couple other small internals related to them are or may be different, but the basics are the same.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Durn nab it, old time hunter, your now teasen me. :| Glad some got them good lookin toys... :lol: :lol: :lol:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Here's some more teasing. And, I paid around $1,400 for my Winoku 45-90 about two to three years ago.

Old Law Dawg
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

smokenrust wrote:Got a question on the 1886 Winchester that is marked 'CAL..45-90 black powder only', Are they a lower grade barrel or will they stand modern powder pressures?
Thought an old 1886 with a 32" barrel in 45-90 propelled by modern powder would be a good fun long range hunting gun.

Not sure if your question was answered so.... There never was any smokeless powder SAAMI spec. for the .45-90 so they are marked Black Powder Only. Same action as the .45-70. Excuse my poor grammar. 1886.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I enjoy both the .45-70 and .45-90 W.C.F. cartridges and own both original and more recent editions of the Model 1886. My 1906 vintage Extra Lightweight Takedown rifle .45-90 has taken a few nice bucks and will handle just about any load that can be fired. The highest velocity reached with 300 grain Barnes Original FPs is 2475 FPS. My standard hunting loads are reduced to a mild 2220 FPS using the Barned 250 TSX. Recoil is not at all severe and it is very accurate. No MOA, just MOD(Minute OF Deer), with clean one shot DRNs at up to 200 yds. :D
ImageImage
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

More eyecandy. :D
Like that elevating peepsite.
OK, Now what is the difference between the 1886 45-70 and the 1886 45-90?
just deeper throat or longer throated lifter or???
Can a fellow easily convert a newer Winchester 45-70 to a 45-90?

Thanks, SnR
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The .45-90 case is .3 longer than the .45-70. 45-70=2.1", 45-90=2.4". You must ream the chamber accordingly and relieve the front of the loading gate to allow the easier loading of the longer cartridge. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Thanks Mike for the info.
Has anyone run a reamer in their 45-70 to make it so they could shoot 45-90?

Kimwcook, I see one like that for about the same money but does not have any extras with it. Did yours come with thetang site already on or was it extra?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I nearly forgot, but my Browning Miroku carbine is also now a .45-90. :D ImageImage
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

"anyone run a reamer in their 45-70 to make it so they could shoot 45-90?" Guess that question was answered.

OK, new question, probably a dumb question to ask here...
Would you trade in a Marlin 1895 45-70 gov. on either a miroku or Browning 1886 45-70 or 45-90? Thanks, SnR
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

!

Post by Streetstar »

smokenrust wrote:"anyone run a reamer in their 45-70 to make it so they could shoot 45-90?" Guess that question was answered.

OK, new question, probably a dumb question to ask here...
Would you trade in a Marlin 1895 45-70 gov. on either a miroku or Browning 1886 45-70 or 45-90? Thanks, SnR
I personally wouldn't, - as i would use the MArlin in situations where i would not even take the nicer rifle out of the case --- for instance, my Guide Gun is sighted in specifically for the Hornady pointy bullets -- they are great for smaller to mid size game - but it would be nice to have a second rifle sighted in for the "big stuff" . aso, although it is a nice looking rifle in its own right, i do not wince nearly as much when my forend slips and it scrapes across the top rail of a tree stand ( :oops: ouch! -- this actually happened this year -- i had a heavy leather sling folded under the forend and resting across the tree stand rail as a rudimentary rifle rest) -- it also would not bug me too much to put a fiberglass stock on a guide Gun to make an all weather rifle - My Marlin also wears a scope -- which is a sacrilege i would never subject an 1886 Winny to .
Under these parameters, i still would be using the Marlin for 75% of hunting situations i do, with the big Winchester standing back ready to take over if i ever draw a heavy timber elk hunt or go on a buff hunt (or a big pig hunt)

On the flip side --- if there is only room in your gun safe for one 45-70 , i understand totally if you want it to be a Winchester ! :D
----- Doug
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

" relieve the front of the loading gate to allow the easier loading of the longer cartridge" I was looking at pics of 45-70 and 45-90 on the web and tried comparing loading gates and I didn't see any difference between them. Are the manufactored 45-90 gates just look the same but got different length or??

I am kicking myself, I seen a like new 45-90 blackpowder only get away by not driving 65 miles to see it right away. Dumb me. :evil: :evil: :evil: Straight stock, like new, no box, $1200 . Could that been shipped right to my door since it was labeled Black Powder Only?

Looked for the thread about curved stocks and sraight stocks on the 1886 and didn't see it, one better than the other?

Thanks, SnR
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

In all things mechanical less moving parts means longer life. The Browning would be the better choice. The late wins have way to many small delicate parts to stand up over time.
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015