OT .357 Barrel Length

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

OT .357 Barrel Length

Post by Beaker »

First the latest news, the blood work from the endocrinologist shows that my thyroid T4 is low and the TSH is high so I have hypothyroidism. They are upping my levothyroxine Rx again. This may explain why I have been feeling sluggish the last month or so. My testosterone level is fine ( with a weekly injection) and all other hormones are fine which is great news.

Now I have recently aquired my Henry Big Boy in .357 and I LOVE IT. But, i want to get a Ruger Blackhawk in stainless to go with it. I will shoot mostly target at the range but the chance of carrying it for protection in a hip holster when in the backcountry such as Colorado is a possibility too. I think a 5.5 inch barrel would be ideal but Ruger only offers a 4.6 and 6.5 inch barrel length :evil: . The 6.5 inch offers better accuracy and velocity while the short barrel offers convience to carry, handle and concelement. What say you all, opionions please?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT .357 Barrel Length

Post by J Miller »

Beaker,

My preference is the 4 5/8" barrel. Very handy and easy to carry. Plenty of barrel length for targets as well. The biggest problem I see with the regular New Model Blackhawks in .357 is they are built on the large frame. My personal thoughts is that the large frame is too heavy for a packing pistol.

If I wanted to go the New Model Blackhawk route I'd hunt for a 50th Anniversary Flattop. They are built on the mid sized frame and are very handy.

For the 5.5" barrel take a look at the New Vaquero. I believe they have the 5.5" barrel. The only negative I can think of for that is the fixed sights. If your eyes can see the sights they're fine.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 get a midframe--look for a 50th 4-5/8" or, as also mentioned, New Vaquero. The latter is fine (and what I have--5.5 and 3.75) if your use is skewed to trail and camp use vs target. 4-5/8" is a perfect size for a.357 midframe and what I might get if I only had one. Even the 5.5 with that smallbore is a hefty piece. But it's still a reasonably handy size; the 4-5/8" even more so. Heck, even my Montado is a hefty piece! It is true with a standard (large frame) BH you've got the aluminum gripframe and ejector housing to balance that weight aspect, but you've still got the unnecessary-for-.357 (IMO) size and lack of "proper" cylinder indexing the flattops and NVs rectified.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

+2 on the 4.625 bbl. I have one in blue and it is without a doubt my most accurate gun and the most fun to shoot. HBWC rounds are a hoot to shoot, 5 rounds inside a quarter at 11 meters is typical. You can't go wrong with that Ruger!

Walt
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

If you want to tote it around in the woods, I'd
go for the shorter barrel, myself. I have a Blackhawk
with the 6" tube, and I'd think the 4" would be more
convenient.

-Stretch
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have a blue 4 5/8" New Model 357 Blackhawk. Honestly, I have never thought of it being too large or too heavy. I think that it carries easy and shoots well. I just need to find a 9mm cylinder for it.

Between my Single Six, 2 Blackhawks and 2 Super Blackhawks, I have 4 5/8", 6 1/2", and 7 1/2" barrels; the 4 5/8" is my favorite.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I got my first .357 Magnum about 1960 and have not been without one or more since. Today I have 4 of them. I have come to realize there is no reason to have a .357 Magnum unless you get .357 Magnum performance out of it. Because of this I like the longer barrels. The extra sight radius also helps as I creep up on my 70th. birthday.

I would buy the 6.5" bbl.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Charles , I agree, thats why I am in a quandry, more power out of the long barrel. But 99.5 percent of my shooting with it will be at the range with probably .38 spl. rounds. The short barrel is easier to pack when hiking but out in the backcountry if I needed to defend myself or party from a cat, wolf or bear etc. the extra power and accuracy of the long barrel would be appreciated. I am glad and suprised that no one has mention getting both a long and short barrel :wink: Hum, maybe I could get one of each and have double holsters and....
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I'm with Joe, I really like my 50th with the 4 5/8" barrel. Handy to pack around and just seems to hit whatever it's aimed at.
When the coyotes quite coming to the call, around mid morning, my favorite thing to do is take the blackhawk out for a few jackrabits.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Salvo , jackrabbits with a .357 mag , is the any meat left to eat :o ?
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

Ruger is also offering a special edition Bisley .357 in Stainless with a 5.5" barrel, so that might be something to look at...

That being said, I really like my 6.5" Blackhawk. I've got two Simply Rugged holsters for it, a Long Hunter hip holster and floral carved 120 on a 2 1/4" cartridge belt. I can't see getting rid of it any time soon!
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Thanks for the input guys, due to the price and availibility, its going to be a standard blackhawk SS in 4.6 inch barrel.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Beaker, you won't be sorry; the Blackhawks are great revolvers.