338ME XLR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

338ME XLR

Post by Marlin32 »

Have finally started feeling a little better and managed to go out and shoot my Marlin 338ME XLR since it has had scope re-mounted. SHot it yesterday with the Hornady ammo
and got it to at least where I can start fine tuning it.

Shot the Remington 250's today. My experience (limited) so far with the Rems was that they shot quite a bit lower and didn't group as well. Today changed that some.
Shooting off picnic table, shot two, two shot groups then make adjustments. Both times, those two groups were almost same hole. The Hornadys I shot today did not do that, close, but not quite.

Will now move out to a little longer distances (want a 200yd zero) and see what the Rems do. Then can start shooting from different positions, etc.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Re: 338ME XLR

Post by Lobo »

Keep us upto date on your results. The 338 is very cutting edge with our "old school" rifles. Like hearing the one hole results!!! :mrgreen:
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Glad you're feeling better, and glad to hear the .338 is looking promising.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Should be a fine all around hunting piece.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

My hope is that Federal starts loading for the 338ME. I like their ammo much better than Remington, but the Core-lokt design been around long time, is proven. Its just I don't trust Remington much anymore. Afraid their concern for quality is on the low end.

I doubt Federal will start loading it either with the 338 Federal out there. And if Browning would pull head out of their you know what and chamber the BLR for the 338 Fed, the Marlin version may disappear.

I want Federal to come out with a 210 or 220 grain bullet preferably a NP. But a 180 or 200 grain fusion bullet may be real interesting on deer out of it.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Keep up the reports. I haven't been interested in too many "new" cartridges of the past decade but 338ME and 338 Federal are interesting to me. I am not a Remington fan as far as firearms in spite of owning a few. The classics, like a Model 8 are in a different league as is the 870 "Wingmaster" of the 60's and 70's. I've had little experience shooting Remington ammo up until now. After seeing and reviewing many clients hunts with Core-Lokt ammo it deserved trying. In 7X57 it performs excellent. The 200 gr 35 Whelen is same hole accurate at 100 yds from my rifle. I've also used some 7mm-08 that was above average in accuracy. Overall, the CL bullet works well if you consider your application and use it within certan parameters. On the other hand, I have not found any Hornday ammo to be "the best" in any of my rifles. Likewise, with all my bullet testing, the Hornday bullets have faired well but were never "the best" of a like group of brands tested. For "inexpensive" factory ammo the Federal Fusion line has performed with excellent accuracy and lethality in all calibers we tested. I hope Federal will take up some more calibers. For handloaded ammo, the Nosler Partition is still my most recommended go-to bullet. On the internet you find the "love it" and "hate it" crowds and not much in-between. I have two rifles that don't shoot to their full potential with NP's and in those I use Nosler Accubonds in the same weight I would a NP. While my experience is limited to two calibers and only 25 animals have been killed, each was a one shot deal with performance very similar to what I expect from the Partition. I'd like to see a 235 or 240 grain Nosler Partition Protected Point or Accubond with flat tip in .338 that could be launched at 2650 fps from the Marlin Express. Another wish is a 265 grain Rhino bullet with wide tip that would do 2500 fps out of the Marlin Express. If the bullet selection improves I'd be tempted to seriously consider one. If the firearm selection improves as well, that would probably seal the deal for me.
Where you are hunting the shots can be 200 yards but I have been told they like to get 150 or less for the moose. I believe the Remington 250's will serve you well.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote:My hope is that Federal starts loading for the 338ME. I like their ammo much better than Remington, but the Core-lokt design been around long time, is proven. Its just I don't trust Remington much anymore. Afraid their concern for quality is on the low end.

I doubt Federal will start loading it either with the 338 Federal out there. And if Browning would pull head out of their you know what and chamber the BLR for the 338 Fed, the Marlin version may disappear.

I want Federal to come out with a 210 or 220 grain bullet preferably a NP. But a 180 or 200 grain fusion bullet may be real interesting on deer out of it.

I had a pair of the 338 Marlin Express rifles when they first hit the market . One of the blued MX versions and a MXLR like you have . Both the ones I had shot well enough with the Hornady ammo for use out to 200 yards easily . I however expect if I had kept them long enough and had actually loaded some of the Hornady rubber tipped bullets I had bought to reload in these rifles I could have easily gotten 3 shot 3/4" groups at 100 yards with both rifles . The Hornady rubber tipped bullets have been good killing bullets in all calibers I've used so far and see no reason these would be any different !

As to the 338 Federal as you might imagine I had one of those as well although it was a single shot barrel for the Encore Pro Hunter I used to have . This one was a tack driver with factory and reload ammo !

Now for the news you may not want to hear . Providing I haven't overlooked something it appears Ruger has stopped chambering rifles for the 338 Federal and unless I'm mistaken you cannot get an Encore barrel anylonger for the 338 Federal . Now I believe Kimber and Tikka both still makes rifles for the 338 Federal but that just might be the only in production game in town as far as the 338 Federal's concerned !

So with that being said there is a slim outside chance Federal may factory load the 338 Marlin Express . But to be honest I don't think I'd wager any money on it .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Ruger is not cataloging any in 338 Federal.
Sako still making them.

I have the XLR, don't necessarily care for the laminate stock, I am bit old school, but I wanted the longer barrel.

I had Mic McPherson "tune it up" and work on the trigger (right at about 2#s which is perfect for me.) He bedded the stock, and put in a through bolt.

All of that was not very much money either. BUT, I guy shouldn't have to buy a rifle, knowing that you have to send it off to a gunsmith to make it like it should be from the factory!!

Anyway, the 338ME is something I have been looking for. The 33 winchester was "almost" there, I think they made mistake going up to 348, should have stayed with the 33 caliber, just toyed with cartridge or made it an 8mm.

Not sure why, but we get to 30cal, then anything larger has to be a super magnum.
the 338ME and 338 Fed were both in my wheel house for what I was after. I would even like to neck the 338ME down to 32 (8mm) and see what I could get out of that?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote: I would even like to neck the 338ME down to 32 (8mm) and see what I could get out of that?
6.5mm with some good flat point bullets or rubber tipped ones would get my attention !

Already got a 260 REM in a Model 7 , but a 260 Marlin Express in the MX version just might entice me to buy something from Ilion New York !

Both of the 338 Marlin's I had didn't require slicking up as far as I was concerned . But then they were both made when Marlin still owned the company !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !