True Grit - Opens tomorrow.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

True Grit - Opens tomorrow.....

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Ebert gave it 3.5 stars, says it's a pretty good flick. Says the gal playing Mattie Ross steals the show, might be Oscar worthy. I usually don't care for him or his politics, but you can read it yourself if you like.

Ebert's Review

Just might have to catch the Matinee tomorrow....
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Ysabel Kid

Re: True Grit - Opens tomorrow.....

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This is one I would like to catch on the big screen.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sounds like a worthwhile movie to go see.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Within the last month I re-watched (for the millionth time) "True Grit" and "Rooster Cogburn" - just to get in the proper mood! :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Within the last month I re-watched (for the millionth time) "True Grit" and "Rooster Cogburn" - just to get in the proper mood! :D
I was thinking of reading the book first, I've seen J.W.s version and Rooster Cogburn so many times I've almost got them memorized.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I just loaded up the truck to go to the range in the morning. I'm going to shoot leverguns all morning to put me in the mood. Clara and I will be seeing "True Grit" tomorrow afternoon.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I have a movie theater right near my work.....gonna sneak off and watch it and then when I get home im going with the lady. :mrgreen:

I hear its pretty good so shhhhhhh....im going to get it in twice tomorrow if everything falls into place. lol
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Yep, I think for the first time in a few years my wife might get me to go to the movies.
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

I'm looking forward to it no matter what the critics say. Westerns are too few and far between these days. I wonder where they filmed this one. It's supposed to take place in Indian Territory (eastern Oklahoma). I always laughed at the vistas of the rocky mountains in the John Wayne version and wondered where in Oklahoma they were. :lol:
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Cimarron,

The Internet Movie Data Base says it was filmed in Texas, near Austin, Blanco and Granger.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/locations
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Cimarron Red wrote:Cimarron,

The Internet Movie Data Base says it was filmed in Texas, near Austin, Blanco and Granger.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/locations
Well now I gotta go see it. :P
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Definitely gonna go and see that one.

We'll report back.......
-Stretch
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Cimarron wrote: I always laughed at the vistas of the rocky mountains in the John Wayne version and wondered where in Oklahoma they were. :lol:

I thought the same thing about the old Gunsmoke TV show. It might have been filmed around Dodge City, but not Dodge City, Kansas!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

damienph, I guess since you're a Kansas native, those scenes on the "Kansas prairie" didn't impress you, huh? They fooled me, but I'm just a kid from Chicago. Gunsmoke was, bar none, my absolute favorite western TV series in the mid-50's. jd45
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Joe Miller, I read the book a little while back when talk of the new movie version started here. I don't read many books (could stand to read more) but I bit on this one and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of good stuff in it, and sounds like the new movie follows the book closer than the first movie did.

To everybody..... as a result of learning about it on our forum, went looking for a copy of Crusoe of Lonesome Lake by Leland Stowe on ebay. Got lucky on one for $9.99. I highly recommend it and I thank whoever first put up the info. on the video on Ralph Edwards what got me interested. If you're lucky enough to find one in a local library, it's very interesting.......quite motivational. They said he was a small man in stature, but he left some big tracks.

T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

My grown daughter is after me to go see it with her. I just today bought a NIB Ruger Vaquero .45 Sheriffs Model, with 3.5 inch barrel. I guess that will be my carry piece when we go. Appropriate, don't you think?
Georgia On My Mind
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I hope tons of people go see this movie. I want a real western such as this to do good so maybe more people will make some other good western movies.......Real Westerns.....not that Jona Hex comic book stuff.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Rube Burrows wrote:I hope tons of people go see this movie. I want a real western such as this to do good so maybe more people will make some other good western movies.......Real Westerns.....not that Jona Hex comic book stuff.
Plus 1.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rube Burrows wrote:I hope tons of people go see this movie. I want a real western such as this to do good so maybe more people will make some other good western movies.......Real Westerns.....not that Jona Hex comic book stuff.
Plus 2
Topside wrote:Joe Miller, I read the book a little while back when talk of the new movie version started here. I don't read many books (could stand to read more) but I bit on this one and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of good stuff in it, and sounds like the new movie follows the book closer than the first movie did.

<snip>
T.
Topside,
Glad you enjoyed it. The copy I've got is a paper back I bought back in 69 or 70 from my high school book club. I cherish all the books I bought back then.

Joe
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I got in the mood by driving through the first's Colorado setting of Ridgway and nearby Dallas Divide/Sneffels Range. of the mighty San Juan Mts of SW Colorado -- in a snowstorm yesterday on family holiday travel. Think I even drove by some of the original buildings in town that've been well chronicled in that youtube video comparing then and now. May not have been Oklahoma, but sure made for a scenic western movie backdrop!
Like all here, looking forward to this one!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That is some beautiful country for sure. I would love to have a nice little spread near Pagosa Springs.

Heres that video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EUP9rOLf30
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

C. Cash wrote:That is some beautiful country for sure. I would love to have a nice little spread near Pagosa Springs.

Heres that video:
Great video!!!
Thanks Cash, now I'm cryin! Man do I miss the Duke.

T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Topside wrote:
C. Cash wrote:That is some beautiful country for sure. I would love to have a nice little spread near Pagosa Springs.

Heres that video:
Great video!!!
Thanks Cash, now I'm cryin! Man do I miss the Duke.

T.

You bet....and I know what you mean. It gives me a melancholy feeling to think about the Duke and how time has passed quickly for him and for so many of us, watching that video.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Just watched John Wayne's True Grit last night. I miss him too. When I heard of his death back in 79 I bawled like a baby.
I've watched True Grit many times, but last night I saw things in it that I'd never seen before. For the time, for the actors, I still think this is one of the best of Wayne's movies.

When I go see the New Model True Grit, I will not be thinking of John Wayne, well, I'll try not to. But I'll be thinking of the story.
Nobody can do John Wayne. Anyone who tries is bound to fail.

Oh, one last thought. In 69 Wayne was 62 years old. I've been noticing that over the years he's looking younger and younger. I guess that's because I'm getting older and older. :(

Joe
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I'll go to see it eventually. While the new guy's a better actor, he doesn't have the presence of JOHN WAYNE. JOHN WAYNE played JOHN WAYNE and TED WILLIAMS better than anybody else. 8) 8) 8)
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I fired 12 different leverguns to prep me for the movie tonight. I ws on the range from 0700-1400 enjoying life.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Saw it today! It's great :!: :!: Had to drive to a neighboring city since our theater doesn't have it. If they do get it later, I'll go see it again.

Hard to keep the old movie and book out of your mind, but the movie is good enough to make you do just that.
My biggest complaint was that the idiot theater cut the movie off as soon as the credits began (and yes, I complained to management)

Still way too many cottonwoods and pine trees for the area the story is set, but other than that, it looks a little more Okiehoma-y than the original movie. Needs more oak trees :D

My grown girls and I watch a lot of Little House on the Prairie, which is supposed to be set in Minnesota. I always chuckle when I see the California chapparel, hills, and mountains in it :D Far cry from Minnesota and DeSmet SD landscape.

I highly recommend this movie, even if you don't normally like Coen brothers' movies. It evoked a lot more emotion from me than the first movie. I guess it was like watching a kid graduate school.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

My wife and I saw it today. I thought it followed the original fairly close, with obvious differences. Having never read the the book, I can only assume thats what the story followed. The only thing I was really dissappointed in was the ending. The gal playing Matty did an excellent job all around. I think Matt Damon is miscast in this role, but still did an ok job. He just doesn't seem to fit a western type.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

The real True Grit is on tonight, TCM. Saw some previews for the new movie on tv, threw up in mouth a little. Makes me sick.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I wont spoil it for anyone but I enjoyed it pretty good. It was filmed in TX in the winter mostly instead of Colorado therefore its more grimey and has more....well.....Grit. Dead trees with no leaves....instead of the fall Colorado. I was impressed with Jeff Bridges. After reading all of the reviews I will honestly say that I expected more out of the girl. I thought that they girl in the old one was more in your face and sharp.

Overall I thought it was a good movie.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

Just got back from seeing it. Clara and I love it. I think Hailee Steinfeld blew away the original Mattie Ross and Jeff Bridges definitely did the Rooster Cogburn character justice. I agree that Matt Damon was OK at best as Leboeuf. If you like westerns, you have to see it.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

SFRanger7GP wrote:Just got back from seeing it. Clara and I love it. I think Hailee Steinfeld blew away the original Mattie Ross and Jeff Bridges definitely did the Rooster Cogburn character justice. I agree that Matt Damon was OK at best as Leboeuf. If you like westerns, you have to see it.

Can you explain how you think Hailee blew away the original? I mean that honestly. I thought she was good no doubt but felt the original was much more of a go getter. Much more in your face...much more apt to get her way.

I also have a couple of questions........

I have never seen or heard of placing the rope around you while you sleep to ward off snakes. Can someone shed more light on that.

Also, I admit I have not read the book. Does the book paint Frank James in as trash? If not, wonder why the Cohen brothers choose to paint Frank James as trash but not Cole Younger?
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Looked more like the Ouachita Mountains in the Choctaw Nation but I guess it was cheaper to film in Texas and New Mexico. It is a very good motion picture and they got a lot of things right. I saw the 1969 John Wayne version in 1969 (I was 15 then) and I liked that film very much too. I went to just about all of his movies in those days. I just hope this one leads to more westerns. They are too few and far between today. Something else, they are better on the big screen than on the TV. We used to have a classic cinema in Tulsa and I've seen some of the John Ford and Howard Hawks westens on the big screen. There just isn't any comparison.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Rube Burrows wrote:
SFRanger7GP wrote:Just got back from seeing it. Clara and I love it. I think Hailee Steinfeld blew away the original Mattie Ross and Jeff Bridges definitely did the Rooster Cogburn character justice. I agree that Matt Damon was OK at best as Leboeuf. If you like westerns, you have to see it.

Can you explain how you think Hailee blew away the original? I mean that honestly. I thought she was good no doubt but felt the original was much more of a go getter. Much more in your face...much more apt to get her way.

I also have a couple of questions........

I have never seen or heard of placing the rope around you while you sleep to ward off snakes. Can someone shed more light on that.

Also, I admit I have not read the book. Does the book paint Frank James in as trash? If not, wonder why the Cohen brothers choose to paint Frank James as trash but not Cole Younger?

Different acting style. . . different times.I liked both Mattie Ross performances. I liked both movies. Same, but different. The Coen brothers movie is more realistic (except Rooster's revolver seems to hold more than 6 :roll: ) Neither was far from the book. Most of the great dialog is straight out of the book. (Just like Outlaw Josey Wales and the book "Gone to Texas.") Lines than seemed written for Wayne were penned by Portis.

Seems like my whole life I have read western books and watched western movies and TV shows that showed the superstition that placing your lariat around your bedroll kept the snakes from snuggling up with you. Silly superstition maybe, but if it made you sleep better. . .

The Coen brothers did seem to make LeBeoff a braggart and ninny, but so did the book. The Coens just seemed to embellish it more. Maybe they like Texan or LEO bashing?
Last edited by vancelw on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

My wife and I saw the movie today. We both thought it was great. Different from the original in many ways, of course, but just as interesting and exciting. I liked Jeff Bridges portrayal of Cogburn. Also, I was never a fan of Kim Darby, so I was pleased with Hailie Steinfeld's acting. I had posted earlier that the Internet Movie Database lists three locations in Texas as the filming locations. Though that may be true, the mountain scenes were shot in the Santa Fe, New Mexico, area. As I watched those scenes that showed mountains in the distance, I thought they looked familiar and that they were not in Texas. It turns out they were the Sange de Cristos in northern New Mexico. I recommend the film to any fan of western movies.

http://www.nmfilm.com/article.php?id=15 ... New+Mexico
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

The rope thing isn't as strange as you think. Originally it was a short rope made from horsehair or had lots of horsehair braided into it that was used only to keep th snakes away while you slept as a snake won't crawl over the horsehair because of the smell of the horse.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I think Hailee played Mattie Ross better than Kim Darby because a 14 year old girl can play a 14 year old girl better than a 22 year old girl can play one.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Watched the original one again last night :D Enjoyed it yet again :D
Now for the new one to see how it stacks up :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

Went and saw True Grit today, really enjoyed it. I think it is better than the original, Jeff Bridges did an outstanding job.

Rafe Covington
Death Before Dishonor
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Here's a short but interesting video about the filming of True Grit on the Buena Vista ranch near Santa Fe:

http://www.koat.com/news/25760434/detail.html
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I went last Sunday to a sneak preview of the new movie with my son in law at the Navy base. Since I'm a big John Wayne fan I was skeptical if I'd enjoy the movie, or be able to not compare every person in it to the original and be disappointed.
Well I couldn't help doing all of the above, but I wasn't disappointed in the new version either. I found Jeff Bridges portrayal of Rooster to be very believeable, and enjoyed his performance as much as the Duke's. I will say I'd have rather Bridges spoke a little clearer, as his garbled version of Rooster was often hard to even understand.
As for Matt Damon's part, I enjoyed his acting much more than Glen Campbell's, and his character seemed to have a little larger part than the original Ranger id in the first version.
I too wasn't a big Kim Darby fan, but I thought both actresses played the role well, and enjoyed them equally. I like the fact that the later version was a younger girl, as it seemed more believeable than Darby's character.
Overall I'd call it a wash, even though I wanted the original to be better, they were both great!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/