OT (on topic)- the best LEVER?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

OT (on topic)- the best LEVER?

Post by cshold »

As we are working through the “OT- the best SAA?” thread, thought
I would start this one as well. SAA’s and levers just seem to go
hand in hand anyway. :)

My vote: Savage model 1899
Reason: tank built tough. :wink:
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT (on topic)- the best LEVER?

Post by WinM71 »

The 71. The beautifully built final link in the evolutianary chain of the "classic" levergun.
Last edited by WinM71 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm not touching this one. I like those I have, each for a different reason or reasons. The WORST though are those that are lawyered up from the original designs.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have to agree with Hobie on this one.

I'll add though, "the best LEVER" ... for what? There's just too many different categories to state the one is the over all best.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

WinM71 wrote:The 71. The beautifully-built final link in the evolutianary chain of the "classic" levergun.
+ 1 You beat me to it, neighbor! The Winchester 71 is the best lever EVER!
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Same as Hobie said. I have levers in 3 different callibers and each has it's place.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have some fine levers that are lawyered up if you look at it that way which might include the 99s and 88s and some 94s and 336s of various stripe. Although with the hammerless that is a different consideration. Like to argue, not me, I prefer "discuss". If they will do inch groups with something I like them and, all the lawyered up ones I have will. So they work fine with what I want them to do. Just the other opinion here for those who may not have decided. Anyone can have either one but then I never owned a non lawyered up one until quite a bit down the line, assuming that rebounding hammer is lawyered up until I got the coveted pre 64 94.
Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

The BEST lever is the one that you are using at the time. Whether you are sighting on paper or fir, a levergun takes a guy back to simpler times when a lot more was riding on the performance of the weapon than getting MOA accuracy. I love my levers, some more than others, but I'm not even close to disowning any of them!! As Hobie said, there are a lot of reasons for preferences in leverguns, but to pick the best is impossible. For example, I love my BLR for its accuracy, but I wish it looked more traditional. I love my 1886 in 40-82, but it is tough to figure out what I should feed it for optimal performance. The 92 and 94 are classics, very handy and fun to shoot. This could go on and on. Which is best? The one you have in your hands! 8)
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Hobie wrote:I'm not touching this one. I like those I have, each for a different reason or reasons. The WORST though are those that are lawyered up from the original designs.
Ditto.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Hobie wrote:I'm not touching this one. I like those I have, each for a different reason or reasons. The WORST though are those that are lawyered up from the original designs.
Exactly the way I felt about the “OT- the best SAA?” thread.
I’m just an agitator at times, and just can't leave well enough alone :lol: :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OK then the 88 - greatest capability, well except for the 45-70. But then they can't match each other so there is no best.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I love the look and simplicity of the 73...and the 76

1886 and 92 are just about perfect...smooth......
might as well throw in the 71 too...and the 53

the early 94s are awesome too....

This is a trick question ....aint it! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Ha! I will bite. The best levers, Henrys golden boys and the brass and octagon .30-30, the Big boy in 45 Colt is nice too, so are the blued steel versions. :mrgreen:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think I'd have to separate my answer into at least two, maybe three, 'categories', to really answer the question.

1. Lever action CARBINES - which to me are the epitome of the lever action design. Light, handy, 19th-century "assault" weapons, designed around 'pistol' cartridges. Not really intended for the most powerful or longest range shooting, so seldom scoped. For me the best Lever Carbine would probably be the Rossi 92 'clones' of the Winchester 92; strong, slick, reliable. I don't care for the type of 'safety' they have, and I guess they DO have too many small, loseable, breakable, and needing-hand-fitted parts but otherwise really like the design. I like my Marlin 1894's and Ruger 96's too, though!

Cartridges for the Carbine? I like about all of them! I could do with just one 'big' one like the .44 Mag or .45 Colt, and one 'small' one like the .32-20 or modern variant, or .357 Mag. Given the option, I'd opt for two - a Rossi in .327 FedMag or .32 H&RMag, and one in .45 Colt, if I hand handguns to go with them...! 8) 8) 8) 8)

2. Lever action RIFLES - which to me are designed around longer cartridges, whether straight-case heavies like .444 Marlin and .45-70, or pointy rounds like the .35 Remington and .30-30. Not quite as 'handy' but far more power potential, and far longer ranges with less drop is possible. Since most of the uses I'd have for such guns would be better served with optics, I'd choose a Marlin 336/444/1895 or (never shot or even handled one yet) a Savage 99.

Cartridges for the RIFLE? I think in an ideal world, the long-action rifles I have would have the same bullet diameter as the short-action carbines, so I'd have to get a .452-70 wildcat or something, and a .32-30 of some sort, or work backwards and get a .35 Remington and .444 Marlin for my Rifles, and .357 Mag and .44 Mag for my Carbines.

3. Lever action RIMFIRES - or perhaps just 'low-cost, low-power rounds'. In that class I prefer the Ruger 96 pretty much hands-down, although the Henrys are a very close second. It's just nice to have a 'plinking' gun or one to introduce 'newbies' with.

Cartridges for the RIMFIRE? I'll stick with the .22 LR, although I'm currently turning a .22 WMR Ruger 96 into a .17 HMR Ruger 96, which should be a sweet gun.

So, Rossi 92 Carbines, Marlin 336 Rifles, and Ruger 96 Rimfires is/are my choice(s). Maybe in .44 Mag, .444 Marlin, and .17 HMR, but add in a couple in .32 or .35 caliber if 'allowed'.

If I had to say whether a Rossi 92 carbine or Marlin 336 rifle is "best", I'd have a hard time - if I could only keep one, it would be neither - I'd "compromise" and keep a .44 Magnum Marlin 1894.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

mod71alaska wrote:
WinM71 wrote:The 71. The beautifully-built final link in the evolutianary chain of the "classic" levergun.
+2 I have to agree with with these fellows. The M-71 is THEE final word in leverguns. Period..........................
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Best for WHAT?

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Boreman wrote:
mod71alaska wrote:
+2 I have to agree with with these fellows. The M-71 is THEE final word in leverguns. Period..........................
I'm another to agree with the 71. It just don't get any better..... And if anybody don't like it they can take it up with my BIG brother :lol: .
Ricky

DWWC
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

OK, I'll bite= Pre '80 Winchester 1894 with cast/machined carrier, Marlin 1894c, Marlin 39a, all pre-cross bolt safety! :P
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

The best levergun is probably the Browning BLR.
The levergun that I like best is the Winchester 1895.

Jack
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have no idea which is the best but the one I like most is the 1873 Winchester short rifle.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Brand spanking new 24" stainless Marlin Model 1895XLR(45-70)
Course I like the new cars too! :wink:
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

Without giving the reason, each of the original designs was/ is the "best"..

the Henry
'66
'73
'76
'86....
'92
'94 begrudgingly
'95
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J Miller wrote:I have to agree with Hobie on this one.

I'll add though, "the best LEVER" ... for what? There's just too many different categories to state the one is the over all best.

Joe
+ another

My answer for beauty would be different than my answer for working properties.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Winchester 1895 "Big Medicine" in 405.
or
Winchester 9422,
or
Winchester 88 in .284

I have Marlins that I dearly love, but the Wrenchchester are cool.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

Winchester 1886 (especially the Browning version) IMHO... :mrgreen:
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

When the word "best" is used, I take it you mean the most versatile in terms of the light enough for ease of carrying/and heavy enough for offhand shooting, enough power to get the job done, both in short and long range accuracy, smoothness of mechanics, and others items that I'm too tired to think about right now.

Hands down--The Savage 99 in 300 Savage.

I don't own one in this caliber.

Come on guys on the 71! The things too heavy, kicks too much, poor case design--with all that taper, only good for 200 lb+ animals and its not all that accurate. I've shot thousands of round of .348's and currently own several but.......they are a "niche" gun.-------Sixgun

Griff, I'll be right over and help 'ya open up that can. :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Hey Griff, I need to use your truck. I've a BIG can of something I need to take to S.E. PA and hand deliver :lol: :lol: .
Ricky

DWWC
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

RKrodle wrote:Hey Griff, I need to use your truck. I've a BIG can of something I need to take to S.E. PA and hand deliver :lol: :lol: .
Ha! Good one Ricky! :D No, you boys can keep that "big can of something" down there. We have enough of it up here, especially in the cities. :D

On to seriousness, the 71 is a very FINE levergun--very robust, smooth, along with lots of craftsmanship. If a individual thinks along these lines, he ought to handle a pre-1900 long octagon barreled, full mag, shotgun butt, deluxe pistol gripped 1886. Thats what I call classy. :D

No, ain't got no pics of one because one never did come my way that I could afford. :( ------Sixgun

Hey! Griff has been AWOL around here. Is he hidin' out in some t-bar down there? :lol: :D :lol:

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RKrodle wrote:Hey Griff, I need to use your truck. I've a BIG can of something I need to take to S.E. PA and hand deliver :lol: :lol: .
I'm headed in that general direction on Tuesday. On Thuursday, after I deliver, I'll let ya know what I kept Jack from being tempted into a life of crime for!

In the world of levers there were a few watershed moments. In terms of innovative thinking, I'd list the following:
1st, the Volcanic from which all the other togglelinks are refinements.
Next, the 1882 Marlin, (I think that's the one from which all other Marlin levers derived).
The 1886 Winchester, the 1892 & 71 are just adaptations, sorta like the child that follows in Daddy's footsteps; wouldn't have gone as far without the trailblazing Dad. :twisted:
The truly fascinating 1887.
The "outside the box" Winchester 1894.
The Savge 99.
Lastly, the Browning BLR.

Except for the '87, either they or one of their derivatives was wildly successful, IMNSHO, that makes them "the BEST" leverguns.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The winchester Bigbores in .307, 356, .444 and .450. They took the power level of the bigger, heavier, 86's and 71's and put them into the best handleling hunters' carbine ever. :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:
Ha! Good one Ricky! :D No, you boys can keep that "big can of something" down there. We have enough of it up here, especially in the cities. :D
On to seriousness, the 71 is a very FINE levergun--very robust, smooth, along with lots of craftsmanship. If a individual thinks along these lines, he ought to handle a pre-1900 long octagon barreled, full mag, shotgun butt, deluxe pistol gripped 1886. Thats what I call classy. :D
No, ain't got no pics of one because one never did come my way that I could afford. :( ------Sixgun
Hey! Griff has been AWOL around here. Is he hidin' out in some t-bar down there? :lol: :D :lol:
I ain't been AWOL! You ain't been paying attention... probably out spending too much on them 1st gen Colts to afford attention!

I'm in Jacksonville, FL; just had a passle of seafood for dinner... mmm mmm GOOD! leaving in the am for Neuw Joisee! Gonna be a little north & east of Trenton, but gotta turn right around and head for FL right away!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Sixgun wrote:When the word "best" is used, I take it you mean the most versatile in terms of the light enough for ease of carrying/and heavy enough for offhand shooting, enough power to get the job done, both in short and long range accuracy, smoothness of mechanics, and others items that I'm too tired to think about right now.

Hands down--The Savage 99 in 300 Savage.
I'm with you Sixgun, also the 250-3000 Savage is a dandy little round as well. :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Griff,
You get around!! N.J. huh? Well, I better warn 'ya, there's a cop at every intersection---no joking. Its how the state feeds their many "programs" while many of the working class are currently down on their luck.

I only live about 15 miles from Jersey and have not been there since '78. Its one of the worst states in the nation to get caught with a gun in the vehicle. A buddy or two of mine have been there and done that. It cost them mega bucks to get out of it.

Happy truckin' and watch your speed, your guns, and your 2' long head thumper that you disguise as a tire thumper. :D :D ---------Sixgun

Casastahle--(change your name--its too hard to spell :D ) Yep, the 250 Savage runs a mighty close second. The only thing in my mind that does not make it #1 is that its a little hard stuffing 190 gr. bullets in it :D

SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

The best? All of them! The fact that it has a lever immediately implies that it is "of the best". My free, no value opinions?

Winchester 1886 in 45-70
Marlin 1895 in 45-70
Winchester 1895 in 405 or 30-06
Winchester Model 64
Winchester Model 94
Winchester 9422
Marlin 39A

I have had several Model 71's, Winchester and Browning. I have sold all but the one Browning Grade II. If I don't sell it or trade it, I plan on having it converted to another cartridge in the future. They are great rifles in a cartridge that doesn't do much for me.

I have several pistol caliber lever rifles that are seldom used. I find the concept of the pistol and rifle combo as impractical as it is practical. If I am going to pack a rifle and a handgun, I want a rifle with more power and range than my handgun.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

model 64's and 71's and the 99 gotta love the the 22 HP 250 and 300 savage.
Sixgun the good Lord made horses to carry those heavy winchesters. danny
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff, where are you going in Jersey - grew up there - Florence. Brother still lives in Bordentown and working in Seaside Heights.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:Griff, where are you going in Jersey - grew up there - Florence. Brother still lives in Bordentown and working in Seaside Heights.

Ahh yes Bordentown, spent sometime in and around that
area myself. Met a very hot little lady there, yep even married her. :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Griff, where are you going in Jersey - grew up there - Florence. Brother still lives in Bordentown and working in Seaside Heights.
Carlstadt. I intend to 'neak in and and right back out! With the shortest possible time and miles there; tolls roads are an out-of-pocket expense I can do w/o. Anyplace that makes you pay to leave is best avoided! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

....how 'bout the '85? or does it have to be a repeater? If it does, which one was purchased by more people over the longest period of time? That would be the best! All the rest go in Griff's worm can
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Winchester 86/71..............................is there anything else ?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The best one is the next one I buy, whatever it is that day :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Well for me it's the Win mod. 71, or Win. 1895 in .405 Win (The one and ONLY BID MEDICINE!)