'New' Winchester Model 1886 (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

'New' Winchester Model 1886 (photos)

Post by KirkD »

Gents, I'm a happy fellow. Yesterday I brought home an original Winchester Model 1886 .45-70 that was received in the Winchester warehouse July 1, 1890 and shipped out August 4, 1890. The bore is gorgeous, shiny with sharp rifling right from chamber throat to muzzle, action is crisp and it feed rounds slick as a whistle. I had to sell a couple of guns to make the purchase (an original Springfield Model 1888 and a Winchester Model 53 in 25-20), but it was worth it as far as I am concerned. I'm off to the range at lunch time to see how the old classic performs. Here's a couple photos .....

This first one shows some of the remaining case hardening colors still visible ....

and here's the whole rifle ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 'New' Winchester Model 1886 (photos)

Post by 1886 »

Another beauty. Will she be posing for any future calenders? 1886.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Probably not this year, as I already have another '86 in the 2011 calendar. But when I get a chance, I'll be making a nice desktop photo of the old rifle.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

SLIPPERS!! WE NEED SLIPPERS!!

But it's a beautiful rilfe. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Congratulations Kirk, that is a great looking "86". The one I have was made in 1889. It shoots great. Have fun. We seem to move in the same direction. :D

"That'll Be The Day"
crystal river charli
Levergunner 1.0

Post by crystal river charli »

Sweet looking rifles Gents.

Charlie
I'm getting old. In my old age I find I long for the guns of my youth.
Revolvers and 1911's were the handguns of my youth.
I know them and I trust them.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

That's a nice clean rifle, Kirk, and a much better investment than the one you had considered a few weeks back. I have a very similar 1890 vintage 1886, but mine is a .38-56 WCF. :) Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Mike D, so is mine. 38-56 is fun to shoot and accurate for me. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

i have two .38-56s, that one and a 1907 vintage ELTD with special ordered 1/2 oct bbl. Both have mint bores, but the 1890 gun is .379 and the late on .376. I shoot mostly jacketed from the 1907 rifle and lead from the older one. Both are highly accurate and much more capable than my eyes are.Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Mike, That looks to be pretty good shooting from less than capable eyes! 1886.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Looks just beautiful! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

MikeD, except for the caliber, our rifles are almost twins from the same year. For your interest, mine is serial # 46248. That takedown of yours is gorgeous!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

1886 wrote:Mike, That looks to be pretty good shooting from less than capable eyes! 1886.
I didn't want to hijack Kirk's thread, but 1886s get me wound up. The rifle in that pic shot the 50 yd group with 200 gr .375 Sierra FPs pushed by 42 grs IMR 4895. It's a cracking HV load that's not to be used in the older mild steel steel barrels. :)
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

KirkD wrote:MikeD, except for the caliber, our rifles are almost twins from the same year. For your interest, mine is serial # 46248. That takedown of yours is gorgeous!
Kirk, my gun is 45925. The ELTD is 13790X. It's funny how captivating those rifles are. We get taken by their aesthetics and it becomes almost an obsession. 8)
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Beautiful rifles, guys. You're right, Mike. 86's are captivating!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

really 1886s are captivating? I wasn't aware! Ok I am a sarcastic sort! OH YEAH to all the guys that posted the pics
drool!!!!
I WANT ANOTHER ONE SOOO BAD, BUT MY KID KEEPS TALKING ABOUT WANTING TO EAT EVERYDAY.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations to all! I am going to change my drool bib now.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Beautiful old firearms Kirk and Mike. Wish I could "justify" getting an 1886. Those are very nice. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gary
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Nice guns all around. I want another one, an original this time, so bad I can taste it. My '95 SRC in .30-40 Krag come first tho.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

real Beautiful rifles, guys.
wow!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

RIHMFIRE wrote:real Beautiful rifles, guys.
wow!
My thoughts exactly :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, I reckon that 86 will be in the deer woods this fall. very nice rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yea right ....nice try. I'm not gonna get an original 86..I will..must resist. :o .
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

.45colt wrote:Yea right ....nice try. I'm not gonna get an original 86..I will..must resist. :o .
I totally understand your pain. I've got a Miroku '86 in 45-90 and it's a very well made piece, but it's not an original and that tends to haunt me.

Beautiful rifles guys.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! Another fine find!!! :mrgreen:
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Missed this thread yesterday as I was busy stripping and cleaning my 4-digit serial number 1886 and putting back the original sights. It's a 40-65 and I could never get it to shoot accurately so I decided it had to go. The bore slugs at 0.408, which limits the available bullet types and the chamber is so tight that the only brass that will chamber is that which I form myself from Remington 45-70, pushed all the way into a 40-65 RCBS die without a shellholder, then knocked back out with a brass drift.
I have a Browning '86 that is superbly accurate, so it's not as if I really need the Winchester but, having read all the posts, I am thinking that I am privileged to own a piece of history like this and disposing of it will be something I would regret for a long time.
I have decided to keep the Winchester, have it put back on my licence and have another go at developing an accurate load.
Thanks guys.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice one Kirk :D
Perry, I think that is a wise decision!!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Perry, you might try a custom mould that drops them at .409 or .408. Use a soft cast alloy, and if the bullet is too large to chamber, take some of your cases, stick the end in a drill chuck, and then take a fine file and thin the case necks by filing the outside of the neck as the drill turns. You should be able to get away with .009 thick neck walls. If you have sized 45-70 brass down to 40 cal, chances are that the case neck walls are too thick anyway.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

B E A U T Y Kirk!

8)
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Kirk, thanks for the tips. I have tracked down a Magma 40-65 mould that's claimed to drop at 0.410. Somewhere around I have an outside neck trimmer and I can turn a pilot for it if I need it. I have to form 40-65 from 45-70 as none of the UK suppliers ever have Starline 40-65 brass in stock.
Perry Owens
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very nice Kirk, I wish you all that older stuff. I'll take the new ones.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Beautiful rifle Kirk.

My BIL collects 1886s the way I've collected 1894/94s... I just have the Browning .45-70 and am satisfied... as it's a shooter... but the originals have something the Browning lacks... But, as my BIL sez, "...I think Barrett Jackson has discovered the Winchester 1886!" Prices are just outta sight on auctions.

Perry,

How hard is Bertram brass to get ahold of in the UK? Maybe it ain't quite the quality of Jamison or Starline, but... I know my .40-90SBN cases are properly formed and sized for my Sharps. Being a member of the Commonwealth oughta count for something!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Griff wrote:
Perry,

How hard is Bertram brass to get ahold of in the UK? Maybe it ain't quite the quality of Jamison or Starline, but... I know my .40-90SBN cases are properly formed and sized for my Sharps. Being a member of the Commonwealth oughta count for something!
Griff, one supplier lists it but it is the equivalent of $3 a piece. At that price it goes on the "last resort" list.
Perry Owens
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Beautiful rifle Kirk.

Pop.
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

Love to see all those "86". I am not sure but maybe this one also is made 1890. Serial 48338. Caliber 45-90.
Have been looking for one in 45-70 but so far no luck. Up to now I only have two in 45-90 and one in 50 Ex.
Best regards,
Stefan
sweden
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gents, they are all just so beautiful, thanks for sharing the pics. I would love one in 45/70, one will come my way one day.
Perry, dont even think of ridding yourself of that rifle, you will regret it I am sure. Treasure it.

Rgds
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Beautiful Rifles guys. There is just something about those 1886s.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Hombre wrote: I am not sure but maybe this one also is made 1890. Serial 48338. Caliber 45-90.
Stefan, you have a beautiful 86 there, with a half octagon and a button mag.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

This is my "86" shooter. I use it on hogs. It is in 33 Winchester, made around 1903 I think. It shoots great and I don't mind taken it into the brush. I bought it in the valley from a family that would not give me any provenance on it because of the lawsuits going on down there. There are 51 notches on the forearm. If it could only talk.

"That'll Be The Day"
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

This one I must admit that I am very proud of. Made 1894, I think. Caliber 50 Ex. No octagonal barrel and full lenght magazine
but I still love it.
Best regards,
Stefan
Sweden
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Rangerider7, what do you do for brass and bullets for your 33 WCF?

Stefan, that is another beautiful '86. Did you mean to say 'button' magazine rather than 'full length' magazine?
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

Hombre wrote:Love to see all those "86". I am not sure but maybe this one also is made 1890. Serial 48338. Caliber 45-90.
Have been looking for one in 45-70 but so far no luck. Up to now I only have two in 45-90 and one in 50 Ex.
Best regards,
Stefan
sweden

I'd give my eye teeth for this one :)
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

KirkD wrote:Stefan, that is another beautiful '86. Did you mean to say 'button' magazine rather than 'full length' magazine?
KirkD, what I meant is that I should prefer a full lenght magazine and an octagonal barrel but that this is what I found. :)

Sorry for not being so good in explaining myself in the english language but I am working on it. :)

Best regards,
Stefan
Sweden
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

No problem, Stefan. The 50 Ex is a rare caliber and very desirable in any configuration. You are very fortunate to own one.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey Kirk, I am not Rangerider but.... I resize 45-70 brass using a 38-56 die to start and then I finish with a 33WCF die for my 86 in 33wcf. Now as for bullets I have a couple boxes of the long discontinued hornady 3315s which I hoard, and I am trying(with some pretty good success) to find a cast boolit load for the old girl using 5744. I am also a member of castboolits and several of the guys have sent me 338 to 340 cast 250 grain lead flat points which I am trying. I am in a group buy for a mold which is a flat point and designed to throw a fat 339 225 grain gas checked slug which I hope will be perfect for my 86. Hope this helps and when we get the molds if anybody wants some bullets to try, just give me a holler. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

KirkD, I don't reload so I get them from http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com/
They shoot great.
"That'll Be The Day"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks Fordwannabee and Rangerider7 for that info. Very interesting site and the price look quite reasonable.