At Auction:The T. Roosevelt/Fox Shotgun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

At Auction:The T. Roosevelt/Fox Shotgun.

Post by cshold »

Any thoughts as to what this will ultimately sell for :?: :)

JULIA'S TO OFFER THE MOST VALUABLE AND
HISTORIC AMERICAN SHOTGUN EVER, THE T. ROOSEVELT/FOX SHOTGUN.
Immediately following his Presidency, Teddy Roosevelt made plans in early 1909 for a yearlong safari in Africa. The trip was partially funded by the Smithsonian as a naturalist expedition. His son Kermit would accompany him. Calling on his great experience as a soldier, statesman, conservationist and hunter, T.R. put great forethought into what would be needed to prevail in his quest. A battery of arms was assembled, 2 of note were a Holland & Holland Royal double rifle in .500/450, and a beautiful Ansley H. Fox F-Grade, Special Gold inlaid, 12 gauge. Although originally ordered by Mr. Roosevelt’s wife as a gift for the expedition, Mr. Fox insisted on presenting this special gun to Mr. Roosevelt at no charge, who later thanked Fox stating “I really think it’s the most beautiful gun I have ever seen, I am exceedingly proud of it.” And later in his book entitled African Game Trails, Roosevelt writes, “I have a Fox number 12 Shotgun; no better gun was ever made.” The Fox Gun Company would capitalize on this ringing endorsement for decades.
Following the President’s death in 1919, the Fox gun remained in the possession of the Roosevelt family for three generations but in October of 2010, the James D. Julia Auction Company, will for the first time in history, offer it for sale at public auction. The Holland & Holland double rifle was sold in the early 90’s for $550,000 and now resides in the famous Frazier Arms Museum in KY. Many in the Sporting Gun fraternity to be far more important and valuable than the H&H and in fact believe this Fox Shotgun, one of the most valuable shotguns in the world. The October auction at Julia’s will certainly determine this. Julia’s, in recent years, established records for the three most expensive single American Shotguns ever sold at auction and are currently the worlds leading Auctioneers of quality sporting guns. There can be no question that the Roosevelt-Fox Shotgun is the most historic gun in annals of American Shotgun history as well as one of the worlds most historic Shotguns.

http://www.juliaauctions.com/auctions/2 ... 55x105.jpg
Skeeziks
Levergunner

Re: At Auction:The T. Roosevelt/Fox Shotgun.

Post by Skeeziks »

casastahle wrote:There can be no question that the Roosevelt-Fox Shotgun is the most historic gun in annals of American Shotgun history as well as one of the worlds most historic Shotguns.

Bo-Whoop is more famous and has a more interesting story. ~ :wink:

But the Roosevelt-Fox gun is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship; it ranks 3rd on my list of "most beautiful shotguns ever made."
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Guess I will have to get them on my speed dial so I can phone in my $2K bid. That or do some horse trading :roll: :lol:
Skeeziks
Levergunner

Post by Skeeziks »

Mich hunter wrote:Guess I will have to get them on my speed dial so I can phone in my $2K bid. That or do some horse trading :roll: :lol:
$2K ???.... $2000. won't even buy you the triggers on that baby. ~ :lol: :wink:
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Best guess - $300,000.00?
stinson
Levergunner

Post by stinson »

The United States has never had a "Teddy Roosevelt" as president. There was one "Theodore Roosevelt", however, who happened to occupy the office early in the last century, and who was (my opinion) one our three greatest presidents. If this auction house doesn't have the knowledge to refer correctly to this great man, they have no business dealing with this beautiful firearm.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Bo-Whoop is more famous and has a more interesting story. ~ :wink:

"Bo-Whoop" was the property of Nash Buckingham, a writer and sportsman of note, but he was no Theodore Roosevelt. His gun, a 3" chambered "Super Fox" was a nicely engraved HE, but it pales in comparison to the exquisite F grade gun that Roosevelt owned. If Buckingham valued his gun so much why did he leave it on the fender of the car and drive off? 'Ol "John Barleycorn" probably had something to do with that unfortunate event. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Skeeziks
Levergunner

Post by Skeeziks »

Mike D. wrote:Bo-Whoop is more famous and has a more interesting story. ~ :wink:

If Buckingham valued his gun so much why did he leave it on the fender of the car and drive off? :|
He didn't....the warden did.

The warden carelessly left it on the fender and then, with all the distractions, Nash wound up driving off thinking it was already put away.
When you're use to a certain routine of doing things and then along comes something/someone that alters it, you tend to make mistakes.
Nash grieved the loss of both his springer spaniel "Chubby" and Bo Whoop right up 'til his last days.

I still stand by my statement: Bo Whoop is more famous and has a more interesting story.