Stripping Browning/Winchester stock finishes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Stripping Browning/Winchester stock finishes

Post by Malamute »

I'm starting to work on fitting and refinishing my 86's stocks. I have a Browning fore end, and Win/Miroku butt. I started on the butt stock. I'm using "citristrip" stripper, and its only slightly softening the finish. Is there a way to strip it without having to scrape it aggressively to get the old finish off? Another type stripper that actually cuts the old finish? I did a high gloss Winchester 94 butt with high grade wood with this stripper, and it came off quite nicely.

I've also heard comments that the Browning/Win/Miroku wood still doesnt take stain or another finish easily after it's stripped, has this been a problem for anyone else?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Stripping Browning/Winchester stock finishes

Post by Wind »

Hey there Malamute -- This stuff works. Protect your eyes and skin. Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I used Motsenbockers "Lift Off" water soluble gel to strip the finish from my super shiny Browning carbine. I then lightly sanded the wood and colored it with MinWax red oak stain. It came out nice, after a few coats of tung oil. :) ImageImageImage
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Homer Formby's furniture finish remover has always worked for me.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Malamute wrote:I'm starting to work on fitting and refinishing my 86's stocks. I have a Browning fore end, and Win/Miroku butt. I started on the butt stock. I'm using "citristrip" stripper, and its only slightly softening the finish. Is there a way to strip it without having to scrape it aggressively to get the old finish off? Another type stripper that actually cuts the old finish? I did a high gloss Winchester 94 butt with high grade wood with this stripper, and it came off quite nicely.

I've also heard comments that the Browning/Win/Miroku wood still doesnt take stain or another finish easily after it's stripped, has this been a problem for anyone else?
Im now doing mine thanks to your help with dissasembly. I also used the citristrip. I used the gel type, smothered the stock and forearm with the stuff, wrapped it in foil and let it sit overnight, the next morning it was all bubbly with the finish rising up off the wood. i then used a cheap plastic scraper and it came right off without a hitch. so far im in the process of applying finish to both. For some reason i didnt have to stain the forearm as it was already pretty dark but i did apply some stain to the buttstock to match which took the stain fine. i have noticed however that the first 4-5 coats of finish are absorbed into the wood pretty quickly, so much i thought something might be wrong but since then im still applying finish and its starting to take life. The other product I hear raves about is certistrip put out by brownells thats made for browning and remington finishes, its a little pricey though. Hope this helps a little.
g rice
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Wind said
"This stuff works."
----
Sorry if I missed something! but what stuff works?
EDIT: Sorry about that. The JASCO pic developed very slowly for me and I didn't see it til looking again (and again).
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Gun Smith wrote:Homer Formby's furniture finish remover has always worked for me.
Yup! Has worked fast and well for me. Get some chemical gloves(nitrile will come apart after a few minutes) and use 0000 steel wool as an applicator. Takes all of 1- 2 minutes, if that. The stain is not touched but the finish is all removed. A few coats of true oil and you should be good to go.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

The jasco is a dern good product, I have used a fair pile of it on guitars. Make sure to put your dancing shoes on first, if you get a tiny drop of it on your skin you are about to invent a new jig!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

octagon wrote:The jasco is a dern good product, I have used a fair pile of it on guitars. Make sure to put your dancing shoes on first, if you get a tiny drop of it on your skin you are about to invent a new jig!
I wholly agree.
Old Law Dawg