RCBS bullet puller collets for jacketed bullets only?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

RCBS bullet puller collets for jacketed bullets only?

Post by Topside »

The description for these collets says use them only on jacketed bullets. Are there different collets for cast bullets or do you have to go with an inertia (hammer type) puller for cast. I'd be pulling .357 and .45 Colt. Thanks.

T

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=284323
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: RCBS bullet puller collets for jacketed bullets only?

Post by J Miller »

Topside,

I've never tried to use my collet bullet puller for lead. Only jacketed. For the lead handgun bullets I've always used the inertial puller.

Honestly though I think it would probably work on lead bullets "if" you could get enough grab on the bullet. Would most likely mangle it though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Joe, I sure don't want to use the inertial much. Too much whacking. Guess I just better be careful not to load up too many "experimentals".

T.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

Topside wrote:Joe, I sure don't want to use the inertial much. Too much whacking. Guess I just better be careful not to load up too many "experimentals".

T.
It isn't that bad. I have a short section of iron rail from a rail road and it doesn't take many wacks for the bullet to pop. Then again I was a carpenter for 20 years and swinging a hammer is just natural. If I didn't have a iron rail, I would use the head of a sledge hammer of some other large mass of steel or cast. Makes quick work for reusing components.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I run the cartridge up through the empty die hole of a press, use a pair of concrete nippers to grab the bullet from the top of the press and lower the ram leaving the bullet in the crimpers and the rest of the components sitting neatly in the shell holder. It does leave two scars on each bullet, but that does not seem to hurt accuracy at all. I do relegate those bullets to plinking as putting a cast bullet in a crimp die changes it's shape some and dragging that same bullet through that crimp changes it further. (HT Yance)
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Cast bullets slip right out of the RCBS collets--especially if they've been crimped into the case. The whack-em type pullers, in my experience, don't work very well either. I pretty much use the method that Tycer described and they come right out. What he does differently though, is he uses his for plinkers. I put them in a can to be remelted for the next time I cast up a batch. I won't use a damaged bullet even for a plinker.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Tycer, JL thanks for the good ideas.

Scott, not sure I understand how you use the rail. Do you use that to hit the bullet puller on?

T.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I pull my cast mistakes in my press using a pair of wire stripper pliers. The "teeth" that strip the wire digs in and does a good job of gripping the bullets.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I use the RCBS hammer-type puller on lead bullets, works great. Usually three whacks at most to pull one.

Maybe you guys need to whack it a little harder. :D

Topside, I too was a nonbeliever until someone pointed out that whacking it on a benchtop doesnt work too well, need to whack it on something hard steel. I whack it on the little flat spot on the back of my bench vise , works great. I now whack regularly, and life is good. :D
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

From now on I will "whack" on a harder surface. My inertial puller is the RCBS one. It's about 30 yrs. old but probably only been used a couple of times. I thought I'd read somewhere that it was only to be whacked against wood which explains my limited success with it. Will try it against steel next time and see how it goes.

T.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I've had two inertia pullers. I wore out the first one. I have never invested in collet type pullers. I always use the small platform on the back of my bench vise with the puller. It normally takes three good blows with heavy crimped lead bullets. I've probably unloaded a thousand bullets over 50 years with no problem. Everything can be reused, I like that.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

someone answered the need for the iron rail. I have knocked the bullet out of roll crimped, tapered crimped, even the old military sealed, coated, factory crimp. I use to take the 22 magnums and pop the hollowpoint 34 gr winchester supreme bullets out and reload them in my hornet and a 218 bee. It would take a couple extra hits on the light bullets, but with the heavies, they are out in under three whacks. I use one heavy whack, and a couple light ones and I can pull the bullet with my fingers and save the powder in the case. no worries though, if i hit it too hard and powder and bullet drops, twist to loosen and tap the unit on the side of a coffee can and powder, bullet, and case fall safely to the bottom. you can pop 20 loaded shells in less time than you can imagine.

if you lose the felt piece in your pullers, the foam ear plugs make a perfect fit.