218 Bee bullet tests

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

218 Bee bullet tests

Post by TedH »

I know there are a few others here with a Bee so I thought I would share this. I have settled on a couple good loads for my Marlin 218 Bee, so I was curious how the bullets will react when put into use on coyotes. Being a rather small and lightly constructed animal I didn't think phone books would serve as a good comparison, so I just shot them into some water filled milk jugs that were held in a cardboard box. I put three jugs in the box with one dry phone book in the rear to be sure there wouldn't be any lost bullets.

I didn't really expect too much reaction out of the jugs with the little Bee rounds. Boy was I wrong!

First up was the 45 gr. Hornady HP Bee bullet. This load runs right at 2700 fps. I shot the jugs from about 30 yards away. At the shot the box looked as if there had been a bomb in it. It was completely ripped apart. The first jug was SHREDDED and the second jug had a small split and contained the remaining pieces of the bullet. The jacket and core had separated but both pieces were there in the second jug.

With another box and two more jugs set up I was ready for the 46 gr. Speer Flat Point. It's performance on the jugs was indistinguishable from the Hornady. Violent carnage on the first jug and bullet remnants in the second jug.

In this photo the Speer is on top, Hornady below.

The remaining jacket cup and core of the 45 gr. Hornady bullet weighs 26 gr.
It seemed to act more like a little grenade, and expanded to .400" There were little shards of lead scattered around what was the inside of the box.

The remaining pieces of the 46 gr. Speer bullet weigh in at 35 gr.
The Speer seemed to hold together a little better and expanded to .600"!

I think I have been underestimating this little cartridge, until today that is. Either one of these bullets will be bad news for Wily this winter.
NRA Life Member
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 218 Bee bullet tests

Post by Woodtroll »

Thanks for the post and pictures! I have bought both of these bullets, in anticipation of reloading for my 1894CL. I'm glad to know that they both work well!

PM sent, sir.
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Nice report, one of my project rifles is to complete a Martini with a 218 barrel on it.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That will do the trick :D . What is your ave. shot distance on dogs out there?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

JReed wrote:That will do the trick :D . What is your ave. shot distance on dogs out there?

Most of the places I call coyotes is rolling pastures surrounded by timber, or in the more open timber areas. They are usually well within 150 yards before seeing them and can easily be within 50-75 yards when I drop the hammer. There is another farm that I'm going to try and hunt this winter that has some very large fields that are in corn stubble which may call for some longer shots where the 22-250 will come into play.
NRA Life Member
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

By gad sir, would you please post a photo of your Marlin too! What a lovely chambering.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Bill in Oregon wrote:By gad sir, would you please post a photo of your Marlin too! What a lovely chambering.
It is indeed a dandy chambering. It has quickly become my favorite levergun in the safe.

It's currently wearing a Leupold 2-7X Compact scope I bought from another forum member. Seems to be a perfect match to the little Marlin. Before all you purists start razzing me about my "carry handle" remember that this is a varmint rifle and a quite accurate one at that. I'm a fair shot with a rifle, but I don't want to have to pop a crow at 200 yards with irons.

And this one, just for Ysabel Kid

NRA Life Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That performance would be dandy on small deer too!

Thanks,

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nath wrote:That performance would be dandy on small deer too!

Thanks,

Nath.

How heavy would a "small" deer be in your neck of the woods Nath?
NRA Life Member
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

TedH wrote:
JReed wrote:That will do the trick :D . What is your ave. shot distance on dogs out there?

Most of the places I call coyotes is rolling pastures surrounded by timber, or in the more open timber areas. They are usually well within 150 yards before seeing them and can easily be within 50-75 yards when I drop the hammer. There is another farm that I'm going to try and hunt this winter that has some very large fields that are in corn stubble which may call for some longer shots where the 22-250 will come into play.

That's respectable range. Are you using hand calls or an E-caller? If using an E-caller you should still be able to call them in to range of the 218bee if they don't circle down wind first. You will have to give us a hunt report when you drop the hammer on one.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

This isn't wide open and flat country. If you can see them, they are in range. The closest I had one last year was about 60 yards, but she winded me before I could get a shot. I've often wondered how many do circle and bust me without me ever knowing they were there?

I had been using mouth calls but this year I have a new-to-me digital caller to try out. This will be my first attempt with an e-caller. Any tips for using one appreciated.
NRA Life Member
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

TedH wrote:This isn't wide open and flat country. If you can see them, they are in range. The closest I had one last year was about 60 yards, but she winded me before I could get a shot. I've often wondered how many do circle and bust me without me ever knowing they were there?

I had been using mouth calls but this year I have a new-to-me digital caller to try out. This will be my first attempt with an e-caller. Any tips for using one appreciated.
Put it out about 50 yards if you can if not as far as the cord will allow. The nice thing about an E-caller is it keeps their attention away from you allowing you to move a little if you have to with out spooking them. As to them going down wind of you I guaranty it happens more then you think I have had a couple when calling into the wind come up behind me and take a seat 20-30 yards away and watch until I stood up to move stands. Having the e-caller out from you a bit will cause them to down wind the caller and not you.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
leverlooney
Levergunner

Post by leverlooney »

Got the call from my guide today. My bobcat hunt begins on Tuesday. The Browning 65 in 218 is my first choice. Also going along is my Marlin 1894cl in 32-20.Will give update,but we all know that bee will be up to the task.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

"And this one, just for Ysabel Kid"

What we got here is a blatant YK copy right infringement. :o :shock: :wink:
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Thanks Ted...I always wanted one of those little rifles..nice to see a report on them.

Ed
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Thanks for the report Ted! I've got a bunch of those Speer boolits loaded up for my Browning and I'm looking forward to trying some of the Hornaday's.

I scrounged up some boxes of factory Remington and Winchester .218 loads and the Win. 46 gr. HP is Thor's hammer on fox,I have yet to try it on anything larger but I think they would work very well on 'yotes too.