OT- Texas Ranger Items I really enjoy.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Texas Ranger Items I really enjoy.

Post by rangerider7 »

Neat stuff from the LD exhibition! I Have been going to the "TEXAS RANGER MUSEUM" in Waco, Texas since 1971. I thought y'all might want to see some Texas Ranger items I have. The first one is a car badge that Capt Tom Hickman used then gave it to Capt "Lone Wolf" Gonzaullas. It is custom made and "one of a kind". They put it between the tubular bumper on their cars in the old days before they had the Texas Ranger license plates. When they pulled up they would just point to the badge and say "open up!". That is an actual Texas Ranger Captain's badge in the middle. A bolt held it in place. I have all the provenance from "Lone Wolf" himself. The second is a "scout" belt that some of y'all have seen before. It came from the museum originally. The third is a badge that came from a Texas Ranger used in the 20s. I have other things but I like these the most. I was lucky to have acquired these many many years ago. ( I tried to delete the reply on the other post, but I guess I don't know how.)

"That'll Be The Day"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT- Texas Ranger Items I really enjoy.

Post by J Miller »

rangerider,

I really enjoy your posts with the old Ranger items as well as old west items.

I was looking at the cartridge belt and noticed a whole whopping 12 revolver rounds, but loops for 40 rifle rounds. That tells me what his primary weapon was. What caliber are those rounds in the belt?

That old Colt isn't bad either. What caliber is it?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Thanks for letting us see those Rangerider7. :)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's really cool Rangerider. I'm envious of your Ranger collections and your firearms. Way cool.

A sidearm is used to get you to your longarm and it's obvious by that belt where that Ranger put his faith.
Old Law Dawg
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

J Miller, The Colt SAA cartridges are 38-40 and the rifle cartridges are 30-40 Krag. The old Colt SAA is 44-40. I'm glad y'all like to see them. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

As usual, very cool! :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

rangerider,

Cool!!! History, especially the old west, the Arizona and Texas Rangers and lever guns and revolvers are always appreciated. Much much much more interesting than now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I love these posts - keep 'em coming! :D 8)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I love these posts - keep 'em coming! :D 8)
+ 1 :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

game keeper wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:I love these posts - keep 'em coming! :D 8)
+ 1 :D
+ 2,3,4 & 5 :wink: :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks so much for the posting of these items and the old photographs. you have spent a long time in collecting and i feel honored you enjoy sharing here. Your home looks like it could be a museum itself. For a brief moment, you have opened yourself for our inspection and we are blessed by it. thank you
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

I had an old buddy (he's gone now) that use to drink coffee with Lone Wolf and Ranger Bob Goss (I believe that was his name) and he tells a great story about the two Rangers locating a bad guy in a hotel in either Kilgore or Longview, Texas during the great Kilgore oil boom. Supposedly they sent word that were coming upstairs to get him. He stayed in his room at the end of the hall. The two Rangers climb the stairs and holler for him to give up....he answers with a little cussing. Lone Wolf tells Bob to move into a position to cover him....Lone Wolf pulls his pistols and walks toward the door shooting with every step. The bad guy was counting and about the time Lone Wolf gets to the door he is empty....the old boy cuts loose from inside and Lone Wolf has to run back for cover. Supposedly Bob laughed so hard that he never fired a shot. For several years there was a jewelry store in the Longview Mall that had several of Lone Wolf's handguns on display. The revolver with the trigger guard cut away must have been fun to carry in a pocket. My grandaddy was an old time JP in Henderson County Texas and knew a bunch of the old Rangers.....the stories he could tell were great.

jumbeaux
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

It was Bob Goss. He was some kind of Texas Ranger. The story you tell I haven't heard but it sounds very believable. Bob Goss was an enforcer if there ever was one. He was a crack shot and was tough as nails. I have heard that "Lone Wolf" took a lot of the head lines and Bob did a lot of the work. Goss as much said so in many interviews. They were both great Rangers. They both had their way of telling the same story. I guess we will leave it to history. Thanks for the insight. Here are a couple of photos. The first is of Goss on the left and Gonzaullas on the right. The second is of Hickman on the left and Goss in the middle. These are the best I could come up with.

Here is one more of Bob Goss.

Last edited by rangerider7 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Cool stuff!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

By the way if your interested there are several separate interviews with both Gonzaullas and Goss on the Texas Ranger Dispatch website of the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame.
"That'll Be The Day"
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Great stuff RR7! Tho old boy on the right, up on the horse, looks salty! I wonder who he is?

Keep posting this stuff, we enjoy the heck out of it!

Geoff
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

As Geoff says we really enjoy this stuff, thanks for posting :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Geoff, The ranger on the right is T.L. Heard.
"That'll Be The Day"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The only Ranger I have met was H. Joaquin Jackson. He was selling his book at a gun show and signing autographs. Very pleasant man, but he didn't give the impression that he was to be messed with. Hopefully there will always be men of his, Gonzaulles', and Captain Jack's caliber to keep the Rangers supplied with men. The Ranger who brought in the Railway Killer a few years back was apparently one such.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

If my old memory serves me right the Ranger that went to bring back the railway killer was a young Ranger from the Tyler area. At least somewhere in East Texas. I was at a Lodge meeting where he was honored and I remember thinking that he was a fine looking young man that represented his trade very well. Ranger Jackson was a confidant to Clayton Williams when he ran against Ann Richards for Governor. He had a brillant idea for squaring the border away that involved paying Mexican generals. Ole Clayton lost talking about "Boys Town" and other things....

jumbeaux
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

...and then we had to go through Queen Anne making the Rangers more "politcally correct". She was a trip, wasn't she?
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Good stuff Rangerider, keep it coming your entertaining all us kids, love it.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

blackhawk44 wrote:...and then we had to go through Queen Anne making the Rangers more "politcally correct". She was a trip, wasn't she?

Bill Dauterive was actually dating her in an episode of "King of the Hill" ------------- classic
----- Doug
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

I have several photos taken from the museum and will go there one day my self, One of my most favortie summers was the one spent learning at the hands of Col.Askins while we lived in Texas, one afternoon on the range I had the honor of being taught and kind of shown off by 3 Rangers whom where his friends, can't remeber names now but the faces I'll never for get.. Both carried 1911's and in the trunk of one's car was a 6" brite nickled engraved Colt python . Those 4 old boys went along way helping me to learn to point/ hip shoot and move.