What is the most popular type of big game rifle in your area

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

What is the most popular type of big game rifle in your area

Post by Jason_W »

I actually see more pump action Remingtons than anything else. A lot of old 760 Gamemasters and some newer 7600s. Bolt actions are next in line and levers and semi-autos are last.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Bolt actions from the big 3. Other than myself, I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a levergun anywhere except the rifle range.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

In eastern kentucky the marlin and winchester 94 still reign supreme.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Ruger all-weather 7mm Mag. Think I'm the only one without one...

Savage bolt action, close second.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

12 gauge Pump shotgun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Bolt guns by a wide margin. Doug
a armed man is his own master
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Bolt guns in 7 mag or 300 mag. :?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A Muzzleloader... but the .44mag is gaining popularity rapidly...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Bolt actions by Rem, Ruger and Savage. Most in 300winmag.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Bolt action rifles prevail and the 7mm Remington Magnum reigns supreme because there is a lot of long range shooting available -- especially for antelope.

Here's an interesting story.

A fellow walked into one of our local gun stores (we only have two) and ordered a Browning BLR (lever action rifle) in 7mm Remington Magnum. This was the first time the store owner was made aware that the Browning BLR came in 7mm Remington Magnum. Not only did he order the fellow a BLR in 7mm Remington Magnum but he ordered six more for his store because lever action rifles are very popular in this area too and he felt that a lever action rifle chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum (so poupular here) would be a great seller. All 7 rifles arrived the same day. The fellow that ordered his came in and bought his rifle and the extra six rifles the gun store owner ordered were sold out within two weeks. The gun store owner has since ordered 4 more BLRs in Remington 7mm Magnum.
ED
Yer never too old
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Around here, it is mainly bolt actions - and lots of guys are using the new short mags.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Alaska rifles

Post by dgr416 »

The most popular gun in Alaska is a Ruger stainless Model 77 in 338 win mag.Its tough as nails and all my 338 win mag Rugers will shoot under an inch at 100 yards and most shoot under an inch at 200 yards.They hit hard and kill stuff in their tracks.I have seen a few stainless BLR in short mags but none in the field.The 338s are about $450-500 in stores and sell out quick when they go on sale.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: What is the most popular type of big game rifle in your

Post by Slick13 »

In NW PA, the bolt gun is most common, though levers and pumps still get plenty of use. No semi autos due to PA game laws.

Most common calibers are the usual suspects... .243, .270, .30-30, .30-06. I'm suprised I haven't met more people who use the .308 Win. If I was looking for a bolt gun, that would probably be #1 on my potential cartridge list.

~Michael
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Bolt guns in 7mm or one of the .30cals. People look at me funny when they see I am carrying a 94 in .45colt.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

There are alot of .243 .270 7mag 30-30 .30-06 , you know, the usuals.

I don't know anybody that hunts with a pistol or even a pistol caliber rifle, one of the reasons I would like to.

Oh yeah, there are some that use the 300 win mag. :roll:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Most hunters around here use bolt guns in 7mm or 300 Win Mag. I talk about leverguns and they look at me funny. Go figure. And my big CZ 550 in 375 H&H AI? They look at me REAL funny then!

Oh well.

-Tutt
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Since Mississippi allows single-shot breechloaders of a type designed before 1900, and .38 caliber or larger, for use in Primitive Weapon season, I'd have to say the most popular big-game rifle in my area is the H&R HandiRifle in the following calibers:
1.) 45/70
2.) 444 Marllin
3.) 44 Mag
4.) 38-55
5.) 500 S&W Mag
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Bolts in usually a caliber like the 7mm or 300's. 308's and 30/06's used to be the thing but deer got tougher here in Arkansas.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I hunt in Oregon. Only twice in too many years to mention have I seen a lever, and one of those times I had the lever.
Bolts, hands down.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

bolt actions by far.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Re: What is the most popular type of big game rifle in your

Post by WCF3030 »

Jason_W wrote:I actually see more pump action Remingtons than anything else. A lot of old 760 Gamemasters and some newer 7600s. Bolt actions are next in line and levers and semi-autos are last.
That's because of them deer killin Benoits. :D

Code: Select all

[code]
Didn't Remington actually do a run on the pump 30-06 for them?

Around here anything goes, usually some "more then enough super mag with a 4-12 power scope for ranges under 100yds.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
leveractionjunkie
Levergunner

Post by leveractionjunkie »

Bolts by Remington, Winchester, Ruger etc. usually in 7mm, .300 long or short Mag, 30/06, or 308. I get some real funny looks walkin around with my Guide Gun. But most everything is shot 100yards or less usually a lot less.
With a .45cal entrance wound I don't worry too much about bullet expansion.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Scoped bolt actions from .243 to about 30-06 or 7 mag. You see very little else except for pigs then maybe some 444 or 45-70. One Blackfoot Indian buddy uses a 99 in 300 and a Siamese 45-70 and now a Ruger # 1 in 9.3 x 73 R.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

We open our club, to the public, the 2 weekends before hunting season starts so they can sight their rifles in. My bench was near the entrance the day I worked, so I got to see everyone coming in. Out of about 225 shooters that day, I only saw 2 levers. Tons of Rugers, a few Remingtons, Brownings, & Savages, and even some vintage Winchester M70's. The majority of chamberings, in order of popularity, were 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, and 300mag.

It's always a challenge to explain to someone that their "hunting" rifle isn't a sub moa target rifle and that a 1.5-2" group, at 100yds, is "minute-of-elk" good enough.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Mostly bolts, although I've seen a little of everything.
Old Law Dawg
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

In NY first and foremost it is 12b slug guns in pump or semi-auto. Next is rifles of bolt action mechanism in 30-06, 7mm Mag and other bottleneck cartridges.

At the TX place the local most often have bolt actions of 243, 22-250 and 25-06 with a distinct jump to 300 Mag class as MOST popular.

Really, I see a lot of variation no matter where I travel to. I think there is a current trend in adding more nostalgia to the hunt, so more folks are taking out old, heirloom and replica rifles.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Same as Pharmseller! Here in Oregon the bolt action rules by a huge margin!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Probably 90% bolts, but you see a surprising number of BARs in the woods of So Cal, and every once in a while I'll run across another levergun, usually a Savage 99.
Chad
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Here in the Ozarks or Arkansas, I see about everything, but mostly Boltactions, with the 7mag, 30-06, even .300mag. It seems by new sales anyway, that lots of new shooters end up getting these cheap Savage Package rifles, but really you see and here of about everything, from SKS's and old turkish mausers to 300 Weatherbys, and the a lot of leveractions still get sold.

There is just so much to choose from anymore, but the scopes are getting bigger and the magnum bolt actions are getting more popular.

The one gun that used to be poplular in the 70's that you don't see very often anymore is the Remington 742's, 7400's and the like, probably because the have gained a well known reputation for lousey accuracy and the tendency to jam after a while.
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

bolt action and in 7 mag, 300 mag and it looks like some of the short mag stuff is around not that I dont use one but I still fit in a lever or my 35 rem pump M14 remington
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Around here you never know what you'll see a guy with a shiny new Remington 700, a mint condition Model 88 Winchester in .284 (which I offered to buy), Mini-30's, Savage 99's, 7400's, Winnie 94's, you name it, it's around here. Right down to "Pawpaw's 03 Springfield he used in the war."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

J Miller wrote:12 gauge Pump shotgun. Joe
I thought about posting "300 x.72 Magnum Rifle", but decided to go ahead and actually talk about "rifles" rather than "rifled" guns...

But yeah, Indiana is still primarily a 12ga "Rifle" State... but the PCRs are gaining quickly.

Thankfully. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Old Savage wrote:One Blackfoot Indian buddy uses....a Ruger # 1 in 9.3 x 73 R.
For what? Did something big escape from the zoo?! :shock:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

In my specific hunting area, I'd guestimate that leverguns outnumber all the others by 9 to 2 in our group. We had 18 levers with everything from a '92 .38-40 (made in 1897), to a Savage 99, to Marlin 336's, to a BLR, and the rest of the levers were variations of the Win '94 against those girly, loose wristed, twist bolts. (hope my pards see this!)
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Everyone I hunt with uses a lever. If anyone has a newer rifle it is usually a bolt. When I hunt corn country with my buddy it's everything. A lot of autos in 30-06, pumps, bolts. I'm the only lever guy in that group. Most of the guys who had pumps went to bolts. So there is nothing dominate. It depends on the group your hunting with. My co-worker has been hunting the last two seasons with an AR in 6.8 SPC and loves it. I'll keep hunting with my levers.
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I'm in Central Texas. Off the top of my head, I know of the following being used among my friends - all bolt actions: (1) .30-06, (1) .300 Win Mag, (2) .264 Win Mag, (2) .270, (2) .243 and (1) 7x57mm. The gun shops are full of .243's and .270's but the 7mm Mag also seems to be popular. We don't need much for the thin skinned game around here - even the exotics are relatively easy to kill, like nilgai and sika deer. However, the ranges are sometimes out to several hundred yards so flat shooting is important, depending on where you are hunting. I gave a .270 Model 70 Win to one of my sons but I confess that I carry it sometimes when he isn't hunting.

In leverguns, one of my sons shoots a 94 Win in 30-30 and I shoot either a Marlin .45-70 or a Model 92 Rossi in .45 LC, depending on range. My grandpa is dead now but he hunted with a .32-40 in a 94 Win and my uncle used a 38-55 in a German drilling. Another buddy of mine uses a M99 in .300 Savage on occasion but he normally used the .300 Win Mag.
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I see alot of those ugly tika bolt guns....I see mostly bolt guns.
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've pondered over this question for the past couple of days, trying to decide how to answer. The guns I see most are at Cowboy Action Shoots, therefore... leverguns. However, for hunting, I must admit I only seem to see bolts in the field... except for mine that is!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
leverhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by leverhunter »

Most everyone here uses bolts in 30-06, 7mm mag, 300+ mags and the various WSM's. See the occassional semi and single shot ie Ruger #1. If you see a levergun, it is in my hands or my sons.
Live to hunt and fish, your life depends upon it!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Scoped model 700 Rem. in 243, quite a few Filipino and Japanese decent Americans that prefer this caliber and are quite handy with it. On the "Big ISland" of Hawaii you can still find Paniolo (Hawaiian Cowboys) who still prefer the model 94s.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Around here I'm gonna have to say .270 and .30-06's mostly bolts but plenty of semi's and pump actions.

There are some levergunners and it is nice to see them when they are about.
Went with a friend to his co-workers land and there was a kid there with a 99 in .300sav slung over his shoulder. So nice to see.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

Around here (Middle TN) you will find a pretty good mix of Name Brand bolts in 30=06/ 270 etc, and lever guns in 30=30. I would guess that lever guns (especially marlins) make up about 30-40% of the rifles you see.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Waco Texas area, it's mostly 300 mags and 7 mm mags. Why, I don't know. You would think it was Colorado or at least South Texas.
"That'll Be The Day"
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Mostly bolts in my neck of the woods also, hard to believe being a close range situation, but there are plenty of levers too.