OT - Short round trip today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Short round trip today

Post by kimwcook »

I've been off for a couple of days and I was getting cabin fever so the wife and I took about a 400 mile round trip today.

Took a free ferry across the Franklin D. Roosevelt reservoir. The reservoir is the water backed up by the Grand Coulee Dam.

We were the first car on so I took a pic going across from inside the car.

This is on the Colville Confederated Tribes land.

A neat ole log cabin. There's approximately 2' of snow on the roof.

Came across these old buildings. Sorry about the cables in the pic. Couldn't help it.

Found a bald eagle having lunch on a road kill coy dog.

It didn't like us stopping so it took off.

One of the back roads we took. We didn't get very far before we had to turn around. We were driving a car.

The directions for people who get lost.

Hope you enjoy.
Old Law Dawg
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Short round trip today

Post by mescalero1 »

That was nice.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

That is pretty country there! A beautiful landscape makes even the shortest journey a pleasant one. :)

Thankyou for sharing these pictures.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Beautiful looking country. Thanks for sharring
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Outstanding, can you hunt that land or walk it for varmints etc ?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Nath,
If it is a park , no.
But much of the west is open and you can hunt, remember the pictures I posted of putting up the windmill, that is all open to hunting; you would have a blast there.
Deer, elk, turkey,quail, dove, squirrels,bear,varmits, about 10 miles down the mountain, antelope.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Thanks for sharing those pics. We just got back from a trip up to a relatively remote area. There's no substitute for getting out of town and away from things. Seeing those pics remind me how much I miss the changing of the seasons. :( Here we go from green to greener.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I'm drooling now :oops:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

kimwcook,

Those are some great pictures. But that is the weirdest looking ferry boat I've ever seen. Looks like a platform with an outhouse on one side and two gas pumps on the other. Do you have a better closer pic of it?

When I'm out and about, and I run across old buildings like that I have to explore them. Camera ready to record all I see. They are decaying and won't be around for much longer. Nothing open and clean like that here. Too many people.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nath wrote:Outstanding, can you hunt that land or walk it for varmints etc ?

Nath.
Can't hunt on the reservation. But most of the pic's were taken off the res. Just north.
J Miller wrote:kimwcook,

Those are some great pictures. But that is the weirdest looking ferry boat I've ever seen. Looks like a platform with an outhouse on one side and two gas pumps on the other. Do you have a better closer pic of it?

When I'm out and about, and I run across old buildings like that I have to explore them. Camera ready to record all I see. They are decaying and won't be around for much longer. Nothing open and clean like that here. Too many people.

Joe
Joe, the ferry is an old one. It's been there since I was a kid (mucho anos), The Martha S. It is somewhat of a flat platform on a bow. The "outhouse" is actually the bridge. The two gas pumps are storage lockers. They were actually used as bathrooms when I was a kid, not anymore. The ferry is actually bigger than a person thinks. I don't have any closer pic's. Maybe next time I go across I'll remember to take some.
Old Law Dawg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Excellent, Sir......I haven't been thru that area before, but I've got close a time or two. You got big brass ones to venture out in that area with a car in this weather :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Ten years of driving around No Dak and Montana will give you a lot of experience.
Old Law Dawg
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice pictures, thanks for posting :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

beautiful area for sure
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Great pics!
one day I hope to make it out west!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

kimwcook,

HOLY SMOKE, MY STOMPING GROUNDS!!!!

I was born and raised in Republic. Drove HWY 20 hundreds of times, recognized the cool old houses by Wauconda. Been across the Keller ferry a few times.

You are going to HAVE to come up and shoot lever action silhouette at Tonasket some time. Couple of guys come over from Coulee Dam. About a dozen of us die hards shoot pretty regular. This winter we are shooting long range, SECOND SATURDAY of the month. I'm trying to get an 1883 vintage Marlin 1881 in .45 Gvt ready to shoot in this next match. I dunno, it's not doing very well so far but it's always fun to try an old authentic rifle.

VERY COOL TO SEE THE PICTURES OF OUR HOME AREA ON LEVERGUNS!!

Geoff
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well I might just have to do that Geoff. But I'll probably wait until the roads clear up a little. It's a bit to far to drive on crappy roads for a day and try to do something too.

My mother's a registered Colville. I hunted on the res so many times I couldn't count until I turned 16. That's when the tribe shuts off descendant's. At least that's when they used to. Really ticked me off because that's the only place I knew where to hunt. Now, I have to hunt around white guys and it gets scary. :D

I'm looking for property up around Republic/Kettle Falls/Colville for a get away and retirement place. I'd like to butt up against either state land, DNR or national forest so I could just saddle up the horses and hit the hills out the back of the property. Some day I'll find the right place.
Old Law Dawg
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

kimwcook,
The Mescalero do it at 18, if you were to ask me; I owe my sanity to the days on the res.
My first love's people were from Spokane, nice country!
The white eyes make me nervous too.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Mescalero, if you got off the roads to hunt you didn't see anyone on the res. They, most all, road hunt. You just stay away from the roads and you've got the whole place to hunt to yourselves.

Hunting season in Washington can be a scary experience, especially elk hunting. I wear a bullet proof vest for a lot of my work. I just couldn't see having to wear one while hunting and getting blown off a stump. That's one reason I've got my horses so they can pack me in where only serious hunters go.
Old Law Dawg
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Her folks had a nice place just outside Colville, her dad took me fishing on the Columbia river, had a good time.Biggest river I have ever been on.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

JReed wrote:Beautiful looking country. Thanks for sharing
+1 :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

mescalero1 wrote:Her folks had a nice place just outside Colville, her dad took me fishing on the Columbia river, had a good time.Biggest river I have ever been on.

Nice area up there. Last time I was through there was in '06. The Columbia's OK, but just a creek. You need to get down to Brazil if you want to see water. :) either the Tocantins or the Araguaia would swallow the Columbia and never know the difference. And then they run together and it gets impressive. And then they run into the Amazon and WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!! NOW we're talking RIVER. :D Still, the Columbia's a nice piece of water. Never have had a chance to fish it though.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com