OT- A Winchester .22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

OT- A Winchester .22

Post by Mike D. »

Although this is not a levergun, it is the finest 1903 Winchester that I have ever laid hands and eyes upon. A recent acquisition, it was discovered at a local estate where it has sat, unfired since purchased new in 1917. Imagine a Deluxe .22 Auto never having a round placed in the tube in all of it's 91 years. :shock: The gun shows zero indicators of use and has not a mark on the wood or metal. what you se are reflactions and a little lint. The gun was found, taken down, in the little canvas case, on the top shelf of a closet. An offer was made and the gun came home. :D
ImageImageImage
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- A Winchester .22

Post by Nath »

:shock: WOW :shock:
Amazing.
Keep us imformed on how it shoots.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Mike, you scored big time. Really nice. This forum's gonna be the ruination of my marriage.
Old Law Dawg
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Wow - what a find - I have recently come under the spell of Winchester pre-64 .22 rimfires.. . My current wish list includes the bolts, pumps, and single shots, although after seeing this auto - maybe one of those also... Great find... The way it sounds you could probably double your money right away if you chose too - are you gonna shoot it?
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's a beauty!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

No, this one will not ever be fired by me and will remain as it came, as new and unfired. I wish that they had saved the original box, though. The bolt face and bore are pristine, without so much as any markings from a case being chambered. I have not seen factory checkering so sharp and unblemished in all my collecting years. Of course, I have only handled a few 1903 Autos in the past years. I just never see them. This is a total fluke.:) Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

That is some find! I have 4 old Winchester 22s. Some are in great condition but none are deluxe models or unfired. :o
"That'll Be The Day"
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Once in a lifetime find!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations Mike. I'd say that belongs in a glass top coffee table or something. Too pretty to put away. No one would believe it was real anyway, it's so nice.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Mike that is the finest .22 winchester I have ever seen! I dont care what you paid, it was a bargin! I have owned several standard ones many years ago. One I had was converted to .22 LR with the right parts. I own a 1890 that I converted to .22 WMRF from WRF. It is well used but has the fancy option wood, checkering and cheekpiece as yours. Yours is the only other one I have seen with that. I also was fortunate to buy a model 63 right at end of production new in the boxs with hanging tags. They quit production in 1957 and I bought it new in 1971! Here are mine.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Well done Mike. Beautiful and an excellent find
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow what a find.this happens to Me all the time but then I wake up....
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

.45colt wrote:Wow what a find.this happens to Me all the time but then I wake up....
Well, there ya go. I don't come across those either. Could be I'm not huntin'em right.
Old Law Dawg
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Wow Mike D. what a fine .22 Winchester, congrats!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What can I say!!! WOW ! :D :o :D
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Mike,
I have only seen 2 deluxe 1903's and both were "used". That is a true "collector" find, but even I would end up shooting it. :wink: Real nice rifle.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Congratulations on a fabulous find :D :mrgreen:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Geeeeze Mike, Its wonderful and surprising finds like that, that make life worth living. :D :D . And a deluxe at that. :D I'm really happy for 'ya! The icing on the cake is the fact that the gun is now owned by someone who really appreciates it' beauty and craftsmanship. In other words, it could not have found a better home. (except mine, you rat!) Ha!

Sure is a lot better you getting it than a big name dealer who just wants to cash in on it.

Mike, For the rest of the year of 2008, you have the board's "braggin' rights"--------------Sixgun (about 8 and a half more hours :D )
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Incredible find! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I must confess that this little gun was purchased with a many year friend and fellow collector in mind. In fact, the gun is going to him this weekend with no profit for me. Out of all our trading various items over the years, not a cent has changed hands., and I wish to keep it that way. I could make $$$$ on it, but that ain't gonna happen. To me, it is not all about the money. :D
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Mike D.

That is just incredible sir!! What a rush to be in the right place at the right time with the sufficient means to not let it get away.

I've got an old 1903 that went to Alaska in 1914, bought it from the son of the man who had it in Alaska and the man I bought it from was in his 80's. Spent a lot of time on dog sleds and SHOWS it, was rebarreled by Winchester at some time. But I knew the old family and wanted it.

Those 1903's are fun to shoot. One of those guns that just relaxes you to take out and shoot!

Your speciman is just incredible!!!! Your friend owes you your dream Winchester 1886 now for sure!

Geoff
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

That is just crazy wood on that 1903 ... crazy nice.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is beautiful and better that you rather than me found it. I'd be looking for some .22 Auto ammo right now!ImageImage
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Mike D. wrote:I must confess that this little gun was purchased with a many year friend and fellow collector in mind. In fact, the gun is going to him this weekend with no profit for me. Out of all our trading various items over the years, not a cent has changed hands., and I wish to keep it that way. I could make $$$$ on it, but that ain't gonna happen. To me, it is not all about the money. :D
That's what friendship is all about...

Fabulous rifle, too!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags