Marlin 1893 ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 1893 ?

Post by brokenhand »

I see the prices on these going up more this year than normal. I think the reason is that since Winchester went out of business, their prices went out the roof so to speak and people couldn't or wouldn't pay the prices that the dealers were asking?
What do you think?
Jim
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1893 ?

Post by bsaride »

I think prices have gone up across the board on anyhthing worth having.
I plan to "buy now until you are not able to buy anymore" cuz I don't trust
things will get better anytime soon.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm not so sure that the end of the 1894 Win. would have anything to do with older Marlin prices. Those old Winchester 1894's have certainly gone up because of it, but I don't think that has affected old 1893 prices. My personal opinion is that the 1893's have been under valued for years, and I've seen them gradually appreciate in value for a number of years, and they are continuing to do so.
About 10-12 years ago I commonly found and purchased deluxe TD 1893's in above average shape for around $400-$500, and the same guns will get 4x that now, or even a bit more! Glad I stocked up when they were cheaper!-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Interesting thread.

Couple things I've been noticing is it looks to me that even here in the classified section that sales have slowed way down. Could be from:

1) Everyone has spent their money on Christmas for their families.

2) Economic slow down

3) Alot of people spent $$ on black rifles, high cap mags, etc... readying for the new regime coming.

It seems to me that when Clinton got in this same thing happened and the thrust went from nice old levers to new military anything. If this same thing happens now, it might be a good time to pick up some old levers.

On the other hand, if old levers are STILL escalating in price, maybe this "bad" economy isn't as wide spread as the media purports. I hope so, I finally got up enough money to invest in some mutuals the other day when the DOW was at 8600.

Interested in other guys' take on the above as well!! Mike D., Hobie, Old Savage, Cowboykel, 1886, etc.........

Geoff
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

1893 Marlins, like all good Marlins and Winchesters will continue to climb dollarwise and I don't care what the economy is doing. Why? because there were only an "X" amount of them made and there will always be people with the money and desire to have them. Even in bad times, there's always people with disposable income.

I might add that good, quality, no-longer-made items are better investments than stock or any 401K plan, especially now, as stocks are not worth used toilet paper. :D

An old man who is now well into his eighties told me that even during the 1930's Depression, Winchesters and Colts held their value and then some--------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

marlinman93 wrote: Glad I stocked up when they were cheaper!-Vall
You and me both :D But in reality, we did not really "stock up". We just had the passion of these fine old guns before they got "overly" popular. :D :D Hey Val, In other words, our timing was better than our vision. :D

Geeze, I have paid $200-$400 for fine 1886's. $150 for '94 SRC's--$400 for a facory lettered S&W Triplelock Target. And it was not THAT long ago :D -------------Sixgun

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

All this is good and fine at the moment .

But what about the possibility that your newly elected leader will fanagle his way into some extremely radical stance on gun ownership in general !

Imagine he brings about some stuff like we have to surrender our antique heirlooms so to speak !

What then the thousands and thousands of dollars a collector may have invested go straight down the pipe :x

To say absolutely NOTHING about the sentimental value :(
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

6pt-sika wrote:All this is good and fine at the moment .

But what about the possibility that your newly elected leader will fanagle his way into some extremely radical stance on gun ownership in general:(
He and his goons will only do to us what WE LET THEM :evil: ------------Sixgun

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

6pt-sika wrote:All this is good and fine at the moment .

But what about the possibility that your newly elected leader will fanagle his way into some extremely radical stance on gun ownership in general !

Imagine he brings about some stuff like we have to surrender our antique heirlooms so to speak !

What then the thousands and thousands of dollars a collector may have invested go straight down the pipe :x

To say absolutely NOTHING about the sentimental value :(
I'm with Sixgun on this one. I will do whatever it takes to stand up to tyranny, and hopefully everyone else will too! I've also been fortunate to not own much that isn't rated "antique" by BATF, so I may have an edge there.-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We ARE the MINORITY now :!:

It's gonna get way way worse before it gets better :x
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I am not in the least bit worried about anyone coming after collector lever guns, but do agree with Vall on the value of 1893 Marlins as opposed to 1894 Winchesters. There are may thousands of collectible '94s out there, but fewer Marlins. The same goes for the excellent ORIGINAL Marlin 1895s. They are far less common that the Winchester 1886, yet demand 50%, or less, of what the Winchesters bring. :?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brokenhand »

Great Discussion. Thanks for all the comments
Jim